Organising a car boot sale

Options
Hi, could I possibly get some advise. My brother is just starting to run his own car boot sale, the reason for this is he was given a large car park in the middle of town which he can use for free every sunday up until sept.

He had his first today, had a bouncy castle, hog roast, hed made up posters, and advertised it on facebook but nobody turned up.:(

Is there anything else he could do, is it worth his advertising in the local paper or leaflet dropping houses?

Any advised would be very much appreciated.

thanks

Comments

• hermum
    hermum Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There are a couple of online sites where you can advertise car boots, car boot junction is one, if you google then you'll find others.
    I'd try & find out where there are others held before next Sunday & ask the organisers if it's ok for him to go round & give out flyers to stall holders.
    Has he found out what others are in the area on a Sunday & the time they start-finish. If there's a well established one a couple of miles away from 8-12 then he needs to make sure his isn't at this time. Try & slot it in between any others locally.
    I went to one last Sunday & one of the booters, does that one mornings, on to another straight after & then there was a late afternoon one, so she's was hopping from one to the other.
    Is his pricing cheap, again people aren't going to want to go from an established site to a new one for the same cost.
    Handing out flyers may work but he'd have to find the right place to make it worthwhile.
  • jacobjjj_2
    Options
    Hi, thanks for replying, I dont think there are many at in the area, not established ones anyway, thanks I will tell him to go onto carboot juction, he was thinking of letting people pitch for free for the next two weeks ( hes not paying for the carpark anyway) just to start it off, is it normally worth advertising in the local paper?
  • hermum
    edited 31 July 2011 at 4:04PM
    Options
    I don't buy papers, I tend to google for anything I'm looking ir ask on our local freecycle.
    I would have thought that free pitch would be good, but he needs to let people know that it's there.
    Is he able to put posters up in the car park during the week?
  • dawn1
    dawn1 Posts: 365 Forumite
    Options
    i use carbootjunction when looking for a car boot to stand

also look in local papers

definatly leaflet drop at any car boot that are held in the week

and good luck
    AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0066
    AMAZON CHALLENGE TO SELL BOOKS !
    JAN - 20 :) FEB - 11 :)
  • Pembroke
    Pembroke Posts: 841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Posters or Boards in the Car park itself during the week with a contact phone number would help. Must have a number, even if it only goes to a recorded message as many sellers will ring up for prices and they will also call before hand in case of rain. Around my way the flyers at other boot sales idea seems to work quite well but you must get permission from the owners first.

Facebook by it's very global nature isn't very good he needs to look at more local outlets like parish magazines, village hall notice boards, any local papers (write the report himself, editors love to have good copy that doesn't involve them in any work). Maybe get a gimmick like half the pitch fee goes to charity, then make his money by charging the hog roasters and the other attractions.

As well as all the goodies your brother needs to look at insurance (public liability, employers liability if he has any staff like car park marshals etc. unless the car park owners are covering that?).

Is there parking on site for buyers? As that would be a large factor in how many visitors he gets. It's no good filling up the only car park in town and expect visitors to park out on the roads possibly in conflict with the usual parkers in that area.

The only problem he does have is by the very limited nature of the time available, it's very difficult to start up and expect a sell out on the first few days the fair is run, it needs time for word of mouth to develop around the regular sellers
  • soapyjoe
    soapyjoe Posts: 474 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Me, my family and friends always check the local newspaper to see whats on where, I think that and posters at the car park are probably the best idea.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Need to advertise locally, Within 5 miles for a small one and upto 20 for a large one, Thats how far i would travel.

Free pitches for the 1st couple of weeks to get it going is a good idea.

Facilities? Toilets, Parking?

I do hope he has insurance.. Nasty accident at my local one a little while back.

One pet hate is seeing an advert for a HUGE / MASSIVE / GIANT carboot and finding half a dozen cars.

Word soon gets around not to bother going.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• hermum
    Options
    Don't you have friends-relatives neighbours etc who can sell for the first couple of weeks, if you're visible from the road & can put signs out then you should get some casual users.
    If you put signs out do put on them that it will be every sunday until whatever the date.
    If not many other boot sales in the area, I'd go for a later start, possibly even the afternoon.
  • texranger
    texranger Posts: 1,845 Forumite
    Options
    jacobjjj wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for replying, I dont think there are many at in the area, not established ones anyway, thanks I will tell him to go onto carboot juction, he was thinking of letting people pitch for free for the next two weeks ( hes not paying for the carpark anyway) just to start it off, is it normally worth advertising in the local paper?

stick A4 flyers in shop windows and yes local paper is a good idea. maybe offer a local charity shop a stall for sticking a large poster in their window, as people that visit charity shops a re the ones that will most likely visit car boots
  • Buttercup2305
    Options
    Just out of interest, where is this carboot he has started?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure