OneQuote Direct Car Insurance

Options
Hello!

A question about car insurance...

I have been looking for car insurance (which is a story in itself and is making me a little bit emotional...) and the cheapest quote by some distance (via gocompare) is from a company called OneQuote Direct.

Their website isn't hugely forthcoming with details (although they do list contact numbers - 0844 of course...) and I can't find any reviews of the company online. So, I was wondering:

a) should this set alarm bells ringing with me?
b) has anyone had experience of this company?

Many thanks

A worried woman with a head full of car insurance horror stories :eek:

Comments

• ender4
    ender4 Posts: 158 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I also have the same question as above.

they are the cheapest quote.

anyone used them before?
  • garth549
    garth549 Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd always go for someone reputable ahead of cheap.

Be aware if you have to make a claim they might be a nightmare to deal with
  • Agraceful
    Options
    My last years insurance was with OneQuoteDirect, I never had any problems really. Policy details arrived promptly, AskMID was updated 4 hours after policy started, customer service is English and did not charge for a change I needed to make.
    I never had to claim with them, so I can't comment there, but I would probably go with them again if they're cheapest.
  • mark2jag
    Options
    onequote direct are a complete pain in the bum and i would avoid them at all costs. I think not adding my details to askmid which is the motor insurance database is potentially a really bloody awful way to start. Imagine the potential drama this could cause if i got stopped. Not having a way to access my details online, so that i can view/amend my details is also a pretty epic fail as far as I'm concerned.. I was going to change my car but to be honest with these cowboys It would take so much effort as to make it not worthwhile.
    I just WISH I hadn't just gone for the cheapest, but after SWIFTCOVER increased my premium from around 300 a year to just over £1300 for no apparent reason even though I was trying to to reinsure the SAME car i acted in haste and now have the opportunity to repent at leisure....
  • cagri
    cagri Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    I bought a policy from them to cover my car. it was £325 a year. I recently moved house to a nicer area and they quoted me £105 premium increase. I tried to explained that car crime was very high where I left and the new area was much nicer. I understood they wanted to take my money no matter what.

I asked them to cancel and refund the remaining 4 months and they offered me £24 after their charges.

I told them change the voluntary excess from £120 to £500 to reduce the premium difference, I was told it made no difference.

If you call them then they will take your money to make up initial price difference. After this policy is up, I am never using them again....
  • Loupyloo
    Options
    I created an account just to write this as for some reason they arent even listed on many review sites.

Onequotedirect are actually a broker; Allianz are the insurer. When you buy your insurance, they send you a whole pack of information, including an A4 sheet called - Policy Key Facts. I read this thoroughly before deciding to proceed, noting the £50 admin charge if I wanted to cancel.

A couple of weeks into the policy, having provided details of my no claims bonus, I was told my original £500 policy was going to increase to £830 because my no claims were not in consecutive years. They ignored my complaints regarding this, so I decided I would just find another insurer.

I managed to find a quote almost £150 cheaper (this had not been available 2 weeks previously). I called onequotedirect to cancel and was told I would be charged £150 in admin fees. I referred them to the Key Facts document which states the charge is £50, but apparently that is only for the Allianz key facts, despite the fact that this document clearly says the names of both companies at the top. Somewhere within the mounds of paperwork is another document listing out onequotedirects fees - their own £50 admin charge and £50 for their commission if you cancel.

I complained, stating that it is misleading to have a key facts document which does not list the key facts. Allianz responded saying it wasn't their problem, it was onequotedirect who should respond. Onequotedirect never bothered responding to the complaint.

If you're happy to be insured by a company who pretend to be upfront but have hidden rules and charges, then go with onequotedirect. Otherwise, avoid.
  • doctorpain
    Options
    Made the same mistake of going with the cheapest.....won't be doing that again.

£50 admin fee to change my car, they don't even send out new documents or make them available online after the change, you have to contact Customer (no)Service to get them sent to you.

Currently trying to get a letter out of them to confirm that I am covered under my current policy to carry out voluntary work for the local ambulance service..............despite letters, emails and phone calls I have had no response for over 2 months now. Phoned them yesterday again, and Customer (No)Services told me that they can see the enquiries on my account, but no-one has done anything with them !!

That is when you can get through to Customer (No)Services, yesterday I spent a total of 26 minutes on the phone to get through to the Customer (No)Services department to find out they had done nothing !!!

Moral of the story.........you get what you pay for, and in this case it means ripped off and a complete lack of customer satisfaction.
  • my_names_dave
    Options
    doctorpain wrote: »
    Made the same mistake of going with the cheapest.....won't be doing that again.

£50 admin fee to change my car, they don't even send out new documents or make them available online after the change, you have to contact Customer (no)Service to get them sent to you.

Moral of the story.........you get what you pay for, and in this case it means ripped off and a complete lack of customer satisfaction.

Alas, the comparsion sites have squeezed the margins so much on car insurance that high admin fees and low paid staff is what it takes for these companies to stay afloat.
  • Jesst
    Options
    I wanted to make a change to my policy with them after changing a car. I tried calling morning, noon and afternoon but simply could not get through to their customer services - after sitting on hold for 10-15 mins, you get put through to reception who take your name and number, saying someone will call you back (they don't, ever) or return you to being on hold, but at the end of the queue again (and after waiting another 10-15 mins, you get to talk to reception again). In the end, as I only had 2 months remaining on my old policy, I just arranged a new policy with another company.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    You may have a problem if you have any NCD to use.

If you didn't cancel the old policy before taking out the new one, then you have nil NCD to use on the new one. (And by cancelling mid term, no NCD will be awarded for the 10 months the policy ran).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure