Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 1st Mar 11, 1:49 PM
    • 3,612Posts
    • 20,870Thanks
    misscousinitt
    misscousinitt's MF Diary
    • 1st Mar 11, 1:49 PM
    misscousinitt's MF Diary 1st Mar 11 at 1:49 PM
    Hi all

I have posted on here before about becoming MF, but not alot was done as we had the wedding last year and that seemed to take up most of our time.

We are debt-free, have savings and have a tiny mortgage compared to most (approx 19k) - but on a fixed rate of 6.29% until June 2012 - so not a huge scope for overpaying, but we want to make a start.

Mortgage and house has now been transferred into both our names so I thought that it was now the best time for us to start overpaying.

DH is on board, but as I deal with all the day to day money then it will fall to me to decide how much each OP will be and down to me to actually go and make them.

I've only set a small target for this year - just 750; but we will see how it goes as we could overpay up to approx 1800 under the terms of the mortgage.

Overall goal is get the mortgage down so when we do move we get into less debt. The ultimate goal will be MF by the time I'm 50 (11 years and 1 week!) but that will all depend on how big our next mortgage is and how circumstances change.

First over-payment made yesterday of 70.
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: 89, 489.14 (20.06.2018)
    OP's to Date 6000

Renovation Fund:736.95;
    Nectar Points Balance: approx 2.50 (after microwave purchase
Page 127
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 10th Jan 18, 3:16 PM
    • 3,612 Posts
    • 20,870 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Thanks KC

It's not my first ever tax return as I have been doing them for several years for the MIL and this is the 3rd one of my own for myself due to various dividends we used to get at work and now my property income.

Nevertheless, I have taken your points on board and it is indeed really useful to write things down and make sure that you print everything out. It will definately be more complicated next year with employment, house income and self employment all mixed in for good measure and your tips will be very handy.

Cheers.

MCI
    OP's to Date 6000

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 10th Jan 18, 3:17 PM
    • 3,612 Posts
    • 20,870 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Happy New Year MCI

Congratulations on your new life, could you PM me a link to your online shop?

I realise it was last August, but I !!!!ing love the fact that you were given a PH meter for chutney when you left work
    Originally posted by edinburgher
    Hi Ed

Lovely to see you popping by. I like the PH meter too lol.

I will PM you,

MCI
    OP's to Date 6000

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Jan 18, 6:39 PM
    • 29,312 Posts
    • 167,867 Thanks
    Karmacat
    That's very gracious of you, MCI I'm glad it's been a smooth process for you
    Retired August 2016
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 10th Jan 18, 7:12 PM
    • 3,612 Posts
    • 20,870 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    First tax return done!!! Going to pay the bill when I've done DHs and then I can pay them both together. Was a little more than I expected - but I have also come to expect that the 'benefits' part of being employed is always in arrears as it crosses the tax year end and has usually changed. Oh well, only next years' to cope with then it's all me...

Doing the MILs tomorrow.

Been looking at the categories for my business expenses so I can get ahead with getting everything ready for the end of the tax year as I know what I am like - I'll just leave it and it will be a mad panic this time next year. Need to get into a routine and need to get myself motivated.

Cat had decided she doesn't like me on the computer (except when she's asleep) as I'm not paying her enough attention lol.

OP made earlier (almost forgot to do it!). Will update signature when the account has updated.

Going to finish putting my sale items on tomorrow - pointless trying to take photos when it's dark outside.

MCI
    OP's to Date 6000

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 11th Jan 18, 8:53 AM
    • 3,612 Posts
    • 20,870 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Sad news this morning that one of my dear friends' Dad died suddenly last week. I never knew him, but heard numerous tales about him and my friend was very close to him. This particular friend supported me when my Dad passed away nearly 5 years ago and although we live a couple of hundred miles apart that contact was invaluable to me at the time. Time for me to return the favour if wanted.

Today's tasks include (hopefully) - 2 more tax returns. Doing DH this morning and hope to do MILS this afternoon. I also need to go and see my Mum to tell her ha bout my friends father and to deliver a couple of bits of shopping. Going to carry on sorting out my accounts too after I've put the rest of my sale items on the Web site; stock take will probably happen tomorrow.

We are going for our new year meal tonight at one of our favourite pub restaurants - we haven't been for a good while (nearly 12 months) and it will be a real treat for us both.

MCI
    OP's to Date 6000

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 11th Jan 18, 12:49 PM
    • 3,612 Posts
    • 20,870 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    So, I've had quite a productive morning.

DH tax return done - so we just have to pay now!

Arranged to do MILs this afternoon.

Sale item photos done and items are now on the web-site.

Off to Mum's shortly and then down to MILs.

I like being back on the diary - helps me to keep focus on the jobs in hand.

MCI
    OP's to Date 6000

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Jan 18, 4:44 PM
    • 29,312 Posts
    • 167,867 Thanks
    Karmacat
    It's good in diaryland, isn't it I'm glad it's still positive for you

Very sorry to hear about your friend's dad though. And it being sudden brings its own set of traumas
    Retired August 2016
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 12th Jan 18, 5:49 PM
    • 3,612 Posts
    • 20,870 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Lovely meal was had last night and was only about 2 over budget!

This morning was spent sorting out business and charity FB posts and taking a close look at the diary to see what's feasible market wise but also planning time off to spend with DH. Booked a market for March.

This afternoon I have spent organising and stock taking all my packaging and sundry items that I use to make up the gifts. Literally just finished. Condensed a load of boxes, everything is labelled and there are about 6 empty boxes which have now been flat packed. Just need to put prices next to all my items and then I will know how much stock I'm carrying. I also scribbled some notes on alternative uses and ideas for key marketing times - I will work these into some sort of plan.

Pleased with what I've achieved. My reward will be yoga tonight (first time in nearly 2 months) and home made pizza for tea.

Happy Friday all.

MCI

P'S All tax returns done. MIL is owed money (10) and we've still got to pay, but at least they are done.
    Last edited by misscousinitt; 12-01-2018 at 5:51 PM.
    OP's to Date 6000

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 14th Jan 18, 9:39 AM
    • 3,612 Posts
    • 20,870 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Saturday was a mixed day. DH got a couple of jobs done down my mum's that have been wanting for a while - glad to get them out of the way. Mum not so good at the moment as she had a little fall in the week and it's knocked her about a bit. My brother is keeping a close eye on her. I'll be going back in on Monday with shopping. It's worrying, but trying to keep positive - she's a tough bird really.

Put prices next to most of my items on my stock list - still some to go and already up to 270 (the ones left are quite large too...) it does explain why the cc debt is at what it is and reassuring in a way that once these items are sold I can pay the debt down - though this may take another year yet (debt on 0% for a long time yet so no worries there).

I then went to sleep! DH nodded off too, so back end of the afternoon was, not wasted , but shall we say not used to capacity; although I did clean the kitchen.

Tea was salmon, jacket potato, avocado and DHs special salad - it was nice and surprisingly filling. Second night without alcohol has done me good I think.

Today we are off down to Wales to visit friends (who I haven't seen for months). Be good to see them and give the kids their presents.

Have a lovely Sunday all.

MCI
    OP's to Date 6000

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 14th Jan 18, 11:19 AM
    • 29,312 Posts
    • 167,867 Thanks
    Karmacat
    That *does* sound like a lovely Sunday. Hope Monday is good too, and your mum is better.

Erm, the nap ... since you're actually a hive of activity, can I suggest that not only did you not waste the afternoon, you used it well!
    Retired August 2016
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 14th Jan 18, 10:38 PM
    • 3,612 Posts
    • 20,870 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Thanks KC...managed to sleep during the night too so must have needed it.

It's been a nice day...jumped on by our friends kids, putting leg together watching films and daft kids programmes and a good old chin wag catching up. Back home now and ready for bed. Cat leased or see me too and she's curled up beside me in DHs spot on the bed (he's downstairs unwinding after the drive home).

Tomorrow is another day.

MCI
    OP's to Date 6000

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 16th Jan 18, 11:30 PM
    • 3,612 Posts
    • 20,870 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    DH came home from work yesterday with a bad back - he had a twinge before Christmas and it's just gone on him. It threw my day though -wasn't expecting him home...

He's a bit better today, but probably going to take tomorrow off so he can be properly rested.

I forgot to mention that I won 25 on the Premium bonds - I was really excited until I realised that my tax bill over and above what the rent tax is is 38 (which I really don't understand as I was on PAYE). Give with one hand and take away with the other (and some). Really must pay our bills tomorrow then they will be out of the way.

Sold some packaging I was sent in error for 5 today - another chip off the business credit card bill. I have a few more bits like this that I need to get rid of.

Saw my cousin yesterday - was a good catch up - we sat in her new extension looking at the squirrel and birds (including a wren) in the garden having a good old chat and a cuppa! We are defiantly going to do that more often...

Had a nice dinner of fish pasta tonight with LO garlic bread - it was very welcome after starting to sort out my accounts for the 6 months I've done - 2 months down, 4 to go.

Off to see my friend who is on bed rest tomorrow - will get a few jobs done in the morning before popping to see her.

MCI
    OP's to Date 6000

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 17th Jan 18, 9:41 AM
    • 29,312 Posts
    • 167,867 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Surprises good and bad, but you're still making good things happen. Keep on going
    Retired August 2016
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 18th Jan 18, 9:26 AM
    • 3,612 Posts
    • 20,870 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Tax bills are paid !!!128546; could have gone on holiday with that.

Three more months of accounts done - 1 to go then it can all get transferred to the spreadsheet (putting it in a book at the moment as I find it easier to have a written record and then data entry is so much quicker for number crunching). My desk job used to include a lot of data entry, so I am quite quick at that.

Had my nails done before Christmas (Shallac) and they have lasted really well. However, I am back to baking today so had to get removed yesterday (not as easy as normal nail polish). Anyhow, looked up how to do it on the Internet so saved myself 7 by doing it myself and not going to the salon.

My nearly 12 month old cheque that I paid in last week has cleared (thought it might as it was from a company - even though the bank said it wouldn't) so that's 7.60 in the bank I didn't have and a lot of hassle avoided trying to get a new cheque issued (I hate ringing eon).

As I said, back to baking this morning, got a market on Saturday - just waiting for the dishwasher to finish so I have a clear run at it. It's only a small market so not too much to do 4 hours today and probably the same tomorrow. Then I have to pop to the cake supply shop up the road (fortunately just a 10 min walk) and I need to clean my car out. Tomorrow I must get all my stuff ready in the afternoon after finishing baking so I can go to yoga tomorrow evening.

Had a good afternoon with my friend yesterday, she's in better spirits now things are going a little smoother for her - we are still tackling the washing pile, but it is going down now.

DH has gone back to work today, he was getting bored so it's good, but he must be careful.

Had slow cooked brisket for tea yesterday (we have some leftovers to go in the freezer). Plus I cooked a cottage pie for my friend so there are a couple of portions of that left to go in the freezer.

Tonight is Tuna steaks for tea with savoury rice.

Hope everyone is having a good week - I can't believe it's Friday tomorrow!

MCI
    OP's to Date 6000

• edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 18th Jan 18, 11:32 AM
    • 11,148 Posts
    • 59,854 Thanks
    edinburgher
    It must be funny paying your tax in 'lumps' through your tax return, one of the joys of PAYE is that it goes out in equal dribs and drabs and you never realise just how much they're stinging you for

Congratulations on avoiding contacting E0n, they are truly woeful (nearly 6 months to switch the FIT for our solar panels, another 3 months before they'd let me create an account to manage them online)

Dinner sounds lovely, I may need to nick your idea. We have some YS tuna steaks in the freezer and I picked up a collapsible insert for our 3 tier steamer for rice (the traditional sort, wonder if rice grains can fall through the holes) Mrs E a big fan of microwave packets of rice, but I hate them with a vengeance
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 19th Jan 18, 8:38 AM
    • 3,612 Posts
    • 20,870 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Hi Ed

For 2016-17 I paid PAYE and a lump (due to rental income). Be the same next year, though I may not have to pay so much (if any) as there is no way my income is going to be above the threshold. It totally Un - nerves me paying a lump like that but at least it's been saved for.

I did cheat with the rice, it was packet but not a micro one - thai lemongrass, coconut and Chilli - it was very nice actually and went nice with lemon and herb marinated tuna - quick easy tea after baking most of the day.

------------------------------------

Was quite proud of what i achieved yesterday, did 4 out of my 9 items for my market (the ones that keep well). Walked to the cake shop to get muffin cases (20 min round trip), got all my sundries together for the market - utensils, baskets, gloves, paper bags, display equipment etc..., did my SALE sign and cleaned all my blackboards.

Don't feel that we'll this morning, but got to get to it shortly. Dishwasher is on and surfaces are clean - just the griddle pan from last night's tuna to be washed (it's soaking at the moment). So I am going to get myself a little breakfast (and hope I feel better), get ready and get started. Hopefully should be finished baking by mid afternoon then I can clean the car out and settle down for a couple of hours before yoga knowing that everything is done for the morning.

Hope everyone has a lovely Friday and a great weekend.

MCI
    OP's to Date 6000

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 19th Jan 18, 8:51 AM
    • 29,312 Posts
    • 167,867 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I hope you're not coming down with You Know What (it shall remain unnamed ....). Salt gargles? The baking sounds great.
    Retired August 2016
    • Goldiegirl
    • By Goldiegirl 21st Jan 18, 3:15 PM
    • 8,330 Posts
    • 48,887 Thanks
    Goldiegirl
    I love a bit of tuna, but Mr Goldie isn't keen so we don't have it that often. We have a few savory rice packs in the cupboard, which I picked up when they were on offer. I'm fairly sure I've got the lemongrass one, so I think it may be tuna time when I next do my menu plan
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 22nd Jan 18, 8:56 AM
    • 3,612 Posts
    • 20,870 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Friday's activities took me about an hour longer than expected as I was on a bit of a go slow - also had to pop out to get some cream which was mildly annoying (hate it when I forget ingredients). I still got to yoga though.

Still feeling a little off...nothing too serious though (I hope).

Market wasn't too bad considering that the weather was absolutely awful. Had 70 through the door (which is their lowest figure ever!) I covered my costs and made a little bit so happy with that. Saw my friend too and he treated me to a lovely lunch (while we were trying to figure out what the snow was doing - it had calmed down a bit by the time we got out of the pub - it's quite a hilly area where this market it any you never know how it's going to go).

Was shattered when I got back and fell asleep, so not much achieved Saturday afternoon, though I did pop up to mum's for an hour after managing to rouse myself.

Lazy day yesterday. Went and bought some new saucepans. This was not an impulse buy, been waiting for some to be in the sale at Mr W. Had my old saucepans for over 20 years (I think they had a 10 year guarantee when I bought them, so haven't done too bad). The handles were starting to be dangerous and we threw one away last year...so had defiantly used to destruction! AND they will get donated to the scrap bin for our charity - we cash in old metal; which helps us to raise money.

Anyway, the saucepans had a third off and I paid for them using the voucher I was given when I left work (I still have 71 to spend). So a purchase that although was much needed and has got the right philosophy behind it still didn't cost me anything...phew...think I've gone on a bit there.

Today is paperwork and chores. Got some bills to pay, Stalls to book, receipts to sort and the usual tidying, washing and getting all the plastic boxes from market clean and ready for the next one. Planning to get that done, pop to Herr A and then go and have a coffee and some of my leftover cake with a friend of mine.

Tonight's tea is Lamb Burgers from the market on Saturday. I was given them! 5 worth (previously frozen and short date - another person who doesn't like waste). The lady that does the meat is lovely and her stuff is really nice and mostly home reared on her farm. I am very grateful for freebies this month due to not really earning any money. I know some lovely people and I get the best discounts and occasional freebies - I love it!

Here's to hoping everyone has a great week.

MCI
    Last edited by misscousinitt; 22-01-2018 at 8:59 AM.
    OP's to Date 6000

• edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 22nd Jan 18, 12:26 PM
    • 11,148 Posts
    • 59,854 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Happy new saucepans!

That reminds me, I have a carbon steel wok that I was given nearly 10 months ago and I haven't seasoned it yet

Are the markets you go to any good for minimal/no waste packaging etc.? I've been meaning to check out our local farmers market again, but from memory most sellers were pretty keen on polystyrene trays and shrinkwrap...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,287Posts Today

6,843Users online

Martin's Twitter