B&Q Kitchen fitting complaint

Options
Hi everyone!

We ordered a kitchen from B&Q last January following a pre-fit survey. We later had our delivery date as 24th March 2010 and contractors employed by B&Q (DSP) would arrange and project manage the installation which would take 5 days starting on 29th March 2010. I will try to cut a very long and eventful story short; we went through 4 lots of fitters and an electrical contractor, had countless items reordered as they were not delivered or had been fitted when damaged/faulty, several meetings with B&Q, DSP and fitters, hundreds of telephone calls and emails later our kitchen was finally completed at the end of September 2010. Yes it took 6 months!

The house the kitchen was being fitted into was unoccupied as we had just bought it and were in the process of gutting it. No other tradesmen were allowed into the property during the installation as the DSP's first accusation when we had damaged items was that someone else must have done it, not them nor their fitter. We finally had the go ahead from B&Q to have our own tradesmen in the house in November 2010.

We had been due to move in last May but couldn't as the works were ongoing and with paying two mortgages & sets of bills for over a year we have not been able to afford to reschedule the works we delayed due to the kitchen fitting.

When the kitchen was finally finished we spoke to the DSP as several items in the room had been damaged. Namely our newly plastered walls, our brand new range cooker and cooker hood, our newly fitted windowsills, our new towel radiator and our newly laid quartz tiled floor.

Just after the kitchen was completed I went into hospital for a major operation. Then the phonecalls and visits started - contractors chasing us for money as B&Q hadn't paid them!

The DSP manager had wanted to come and check the project when finished so we contacted them to arrange this but to no avail. Eventually they called back and arranged for two of the managers to visit the house, our contact insisted that I attended the visit even though both myself & my husband had dealt with them in the past. The two managers came out in December 2010 and we stood in our freezing cold kitchen whilst they basically tried to patronise us and use bully tactics to convince us that we had our kitchen fitted what more did we want! They didn't look at the damage when we tried to point it out or check the quality of the fitment so we were lost as to the purpose of the visit.

The kitchen cost us almost £8,000 and over £2000 of that was the installation charge.

We were offered just over £600 in compensation for our inconvenience and damage to items then after us providing a list and costings of damaged items they have increased this to £1,500. We really don't know our rights and are not sure if this a good offer or not, what should we do???

Thank you for taking the time to read this and any advice xxx

Comments

• Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You said that other items were damaged and that you have been offered £1,500. The question is, does that amount of money pay for the damage to be put right?
  • krobins1982
    Options
    They have offered us 50% towards the cooker and hood, the replacement cost of windowsills (less fitting) and £100 towards a new radiator (cost £235 to replace). They haven't offered anything towards other damaged items. They have offered £20 phonecalls, £240 time off work, £260 overrun and £30.50 for out of pocket expenses. We can only get the walls patched up and it's impossible for us to get the damaged tiles replaced without redoing the entire floor (with underfloor heating).

Part of us feels like we didn't receive the stress free, hassle free, 5 day fitting service we paid over £2,000 for.

So I suppose it doesn't pay to put us back as we were but we are trying very carefully not to be greedy. Plus we are struggling financially as we haven't been able to move in yet as a result of all of this.

One thing that does seem to be on our side is that DSP seem not to want us to send our complaint to B&Q Complaints Section - we don't know whether this is because they have just been taken on by B&Q (were a separate company) or for another reason. We've read that others have been offered small amounts of compensation and B&Q Head Office don't care anyway so we aren't sure what we should do...

Thank u x
  • Steve_xx
    Options
    As I think I understand it, you bought a kitchen and the fitting of it from B&Q. They subcontracted to DSP? DSP have caused damage to your goods and chattels.

Therefore, B&Q are who you should be looking to to put things right. Your contract is with B&Q.
  • krobins1982
    Options
    B&Q have since brought the fittings in house which confuses matters further for us because the B&Q fitting service is just DSP now under B&Q (same location, staff etc)

If we send a letter of complaint to B&Q can they reduce the offer already made??? x
  • Steve_xx
    Options
    B&Q have since brought the fittings in house which confuses matters further for us because the B&Q fitting service is just DSP now under B&Q (same location, staff etc)

If we send a letter of complaint to B&Q can they reduce the offer already made??? x
    It doesn't matter who B&Q employ to do the fitting. It is B&Q who are liable to you if it is B&Q who you paid for the work. I am assuming here that you have not paid DSP directly for their work?

B&Q are the ones you should look to for compensation, not the DSP contractor. If B&Q settle with you, then they may wish to recover their loss from the contractor. That's upto them.

Yes it is possible that B&Q may offer you less, or more!

It will be helpful to you in your claim on B&Q if the DSP contractor has admitted, preferably in a written form, that they have caused the damage that you claim they have.
  • fishyfitter
    Options
    Hi,I am an independent kitchen and bathroom installer and simply dread being asked to install any kitchen that has been ordered from B&Q !!!. The IT range available instore is fine and represents reasonable value for money BUT BEWARE ,IF YOU ORDER ANYTHING OTHER THAN THAT YOU WILL BE IN FOR A NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!!!!.
    We recently finished(not quite) a large kitchen that had been ordered from them and all the usual problems started,along with changed delivery dates etc,suffice to say we had a total of NINE deliveries and we're still waiting for one more door !
    As I say this does appear to be the normal standard of service which we have to endure on a regular basis,in fact I now have to add a surcharge on my normal charges if customers insist on using B&Q-take care and good luck if you use them to supply your new kitchen !!
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,097 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I really can't understand how you are even considering accepting such an insulting offer.

You have been through a nightmare and you deserve proper compensation for all their errors and the extra mortage payments you have had to make because of their delays.

I would be looking for thousands of pounds in compensation and would be threating to get as much publicity for this as possible - local papers, BBC Watchdog etc.

I had my whole kitchen supplied and fitted last year in 4 days, so it can be done.
  • krobins1982
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. Looking at other B&Q related threads on here and elsewhere have shown that complaints going to B&Q head office result in offers much less than we've been given. Our current financial situation has brought us to a point now that we've pretty much no option than to accept the offer as our savings, overdrafts, credit cards etc are all maxed out as otherwise we would've lost our home and we just need the cash x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure