Anyone claimed fees back from regency mortgage corp?

Options
Makingitdownunder
Makingitdownunder Posts: 4 Newbie
Hi

I received a letter last week from a law company saying i could claim against regency for unfair mortgage fees. They said the fees were unfair because they took the money out of my equity. I was charged around 4000 in fees and had PPI added. Apparently i've also got a claim against my solicitor (which regency appointed) for misconduct. I was just wondering if anyone else has claimed against them and how successful it was?

Thanks

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They said the fees were unfair because they took the money out of my equity.

An option that is considered fair under law and acceptable under FSA rules. There has been no successful cases on that basis.
    Apparently i've also got a claim against my solicitor (which regency appointed) for misconduct.

A claims company would tell you that you have a claim against the tooth fairy as well if they felt they could get up front money out of you.

one assumes this company wanted a payment from you up front? The dodgy ones always do.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • tifo
    tifo Posts: 1,938 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    An option that is considered fair under law and acceptable under FSA rules.

What law and FSA rules says mortgage arrears fees are fair?
  • dunstonh
    Options
    tifo wrote: »
    What law and FSA rules says mortgage arrears fees are fair?

Are you aware that in the UK laws do not work like that?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Annisele
    Annisele Posts: 4,828 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    A claims company would tell you that you have a claim against the tooth fairy as well if they felt they could get up front money out of you.

If I could "thank" the above multiple times I would.

The OP might have a claim against somebody (unlikely to be his solicitor) if the PPI was added as a single premium, or if there were problems with the sale process. Similarly, he might have a claim if the arrears charges arose out of a situation that he reasonably expected the PPI to pay for.

But no matter how strong the OP's claim, there is absolutely no reason to pay any ambulance chasers to pursue it.
  • tifo
    Options
    Are you aware that in the UK laws do not work like that?

No, i'm not. Please explain.

I'm just an ordinary consumer fighting a big bank who's charged me thousands in what, i believe, are unfair charges above their actual costs.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    I'm just an ordinary consumer fighting a big bank who's charged me thousands in what, i believe, are unfair charges above their actual costs.

You don't need a law to say something is right. You need a law to say it is wrong. Would you like to point to any legal ruling that agrees with your point of view?
  • jenz2010
    Options
    Hi ya i have had the same kind of letter stating that Regency unfairly added fees to my mortgage above purchase price and im able to claim due to the wat in which regency gave no choici in the app of the solicitor they used.This soliciter allowed large broker fees to be paid out of my discount/equity without giving me adequate professional advice.

Also stating that regency have been fined in the passed ,there are no up front fees the company are called Premier Law lim, Do u think i sholud go directly to Regency or let them chase it 4 me.
    Kind regards x
  • dunstonh
    Options
    Regency unfairly added fees to my mortgage above purchase price

Nothing wrong with adding fees to the mortgage.
    im able to claim due to the wat in which regency gave no choici in the app of the solicitor they used

That isnt a reason either.
    This soliciter allowed large broker fees to be paid out of my discount/equity without giving me adequate professional advice.

Again no reason for complaint. If you only use their solicitor for conveyancing (which most do nowadays) then you wont get full professional advice.
    Premier Law limited

As a company they were only incorporated less than a year ago and the appointments put in place in June and September. They only got their MoJ authorisation approved in August. So, at best, they have little over 6 months trading.

despite their name, they are not Solicitors.

So, you have a company that has only just started and has given a number of reasons for mis-sale which are actually allowed and not mis-sale reasons in themselves. Doesn't sound like a good start to me.
  • jenz2010
    jenz2010 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Many thanks for info xx
  • tifo
    Options
    my opinion is that any negative comments about your rights to reclaim unfair charges should not be taken at face value. Neither should positive ones. You should make your own judgements from your own research.

some people will always call any charge fair and others will always call them unfair. It doesn't mean either is right or wrong. Each will ignore evidence to the contrary.

from my findings, the charges are unfair and thus i continue to take action on my own complaints.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure