Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tommo781
    • By Tommo781 13th Jan 11, 12:23 PM
    • 95Posts
    • 85Thanks
    Tommo781
    Carpets Included in House Sale Price
    • 13th Jan 11, 12:23 PM
    Carpets Included in House Sale Price 13th Jan 11 at 12:23 PM
    I am thinking of putting in an offer on a house. The sale price includes the carpets, which I simply do not want. They are old, manky, and not to my taste at all. My question is this. If I buy the house, can I insist the vendor removes the carpets? I not only don't want them, I don't want the expense and hassle of disposing of them either.
Page 1
    • evoke
    • By evoke 13th Jan 11, 12:25 PM
    • 1,273 Posts
    • 781 Thanks
    evoke
    • 13th Jan 11, 12:25 PM
    • 13th Jan 11, 12:25 PM
    No. I'm pretty sure you can't insist they are removed and disposed of. I'd leave them in and decorate the house and then get rid of them yourself. It saves crap going onto the floorboards whilst you're having the place decorated. Treat them as free dustsheets.
  • CloudCuckooLand
    • 13th Jan 11, 12:26 PM
    • 13th Jan 11, 12:26 PM
    You can ask. If the offer price etc is to their liking, they may be happy to oblige. If you have screwed every last penny out of them, they might view it as a "last straw" request...
    Act in haste, repent at leisure.

Its a serious financial transaction and one of the biggest things you will ever buy. So, stop treating it like buying an ipod.
    by dunstonh
    • pinkteapot
    • By pinkteapot 13th Jan 11, 12:29 PM
    • 6,528 Posts
    • 8,513 Thanks
    pinkteapot
    • 13th Jan 11, 12:29 PM
    • 13th Jan 11, 12:29 PM
    How much stuff do they have - furniture etc. If the house is quite full, moving everything to get carpets up and then putting it all back and living on bare floorboards is no fun at all. Plus the gripper rods would be exposed which have sharp spikes on.

Sorry but I wouldn't sell to you if this was a condition of sale. Far easier for you to remove the carpets before you move your stuff in than for me to do it with everything I own still in the house.

Still, you can ask. An offer can be subject to anything you want. Just say to the agent "£XXX,XXX subject to removal of all carpets before completion." Plus anything else you want.
    • Tommo781
    • By Tommo781 13th Jan 11, 12:34 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    Tommo781
    • 13th Jan 11, 12:34 PM
    • 13th Jan 11, 12:34 PM
    How much stuff do they have - furniture etc. If the house is quite full, moving everything to get carpets up and then putting it all back and living on bare floorboards is no fun at all. Plus the gripper rods would be exposed which have sharp spikes on.

Sorry but I wouldn't sell to you if this was a condition of sale. Far easier for you to remove the carpets before you move your stuff in than for me to do it with everything I own still in the house.
    Originally posted by pinkteapot
    Sorry, I didn't make something clear. The house is already empty. It is being sold as part of someone's estate. Everything except the carpets has gone. So the moving of furniture etc doesn't apply.
  • tamarto
    • 13th Jan 11, 12:38 PM
    • 13th Jan 11, 12:38 PM
    You can't insist on anything. You can ask if they will remove them, it may be no issue to them or it may be as big a deal to them as it is to you.
    • F_T_Buyer
    • By F_T_Buyer 13th Jan 11, 12:42 PM
    • 1,112 Posts
    • 544 Thanks
    F_T_Buyer
    • 13th Jan 11, 12:42 PM
    • 13th Jan 11, 12:42 PM
    I don't see the big deal in ripping them up and taking them to the tip. Infact, you could offer them on freecycle and someone might do it for you.
  • Jackinbox99
    • 13th Jan 11, 12:45 PM
    • 13th Jan 11, 12:45 PM
    For the cost, removing carpets are neither here nor there really, so why bother risking the purchase on it. In my old house, i did as someone else said, left them there whilst i recorated and got paint / dirt all over them, then when i had the carpet fitters in to fit new carpets they just took the old ones away with them free of charge.

At my new house, i did the same, but this time just ripped them out and took them down the local tip. Cost nothing to dispose of and about 15minutes out of my day to get rid of them. Nice and easy.
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 13th Jan 11, 12:51 PM
    • 5,266 Posts
    • 4,327 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    • 13th Jan 11, 12:51 PM
    • 13th Jan 11, 12:51 PM
    You can't insist on anything. You can ask if they will remove them, it may be no issue to them or it may be as big a deal to them as it is to you.
    Originally posted by tamarto
    Like almost everything to do with buying a house - it's negotiable. The seller might do it for you - but why should they?

You could threaten to pull out but would you be prepared to lose out on the house over something a minor as carpet removal?
    • Tommo781
    • By Tommo781 13th Jan 11, 1:17 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    Tommo781
    Like almost everything to do with buying a house - it's negotiable. The seller might do it for you - but why should they?

You could threaten to pull out but would you be prepared to lose out on the house over something a minor as carpet removal?
    Originally posted by Doshwaster
    It is as much to do with hygiene as anything. Carpets are breeding grounds for bacteria etc, and I don't want to handle these dirty carpets if I don't have to. So I would have to pay someone to do it, and I don't see why I should. My question was really one of legality. Can I insist on them being removed legally?
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 13th Jan 11, 1:30 PM
    • 5,266 Posts
    • 4,327 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    It is as much to do with hygiene as anything. Carpets are breeding grounds for bacteria etc, and I don't want to handle these dirty carpets if I don't have to. So I would have to pay someone to do it, and I don't see why I should. My question was really one of legality. Can I insist on them being removed legally?
    Originally posted by Tommo781
    I doubt there's anything you can do legally. House buying is a negotiated contract between one person and another.

The owners clearly don't want the carpets - that's why they have included them in the house price. Unless they agree to remove the carpets then you cannot insist. However, it's only going to be an hour's labour for someone. I'm sure you can find someone willing to do it for 20 quid. In the grand scheme of buying a house, it's loose change and I wouldn't be losing any sleep over it or risking the sale going through.
    • evoke
    • By evoke 13th Jan 11, 1:32 PM
    • 1,273 Posts
    • 781 Thanks
    evoke
    Jeez. OP: get a life, mate.

Seriously, there are bigger things to worry about than sh*tty carpets in a property you've bought. Are you going to don a pair of Marigolds before you touch any of the door handles or the kitchen worktops? Will you be paying to have the house fumigated before you move in?
    • sunshinetours
    • By sunshinetours 13th Jan 11, 1:36 PM
    • 2,772 Posts
    • 1,817 Thanks
    sunshinetours
    Ask your solicitor then as you have had opinions here and you seem intent on making it an issue of sale (when it really isn't)

The crux is any agreement can contain terms that BOTH parties MAY agree to

A by far easier solution would be for seller to say fine we'll knock £100 off sale price and you can pay a "man with a van"
    • Tommo781
    • By Tommo781 13th Jan 11, 1:37 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    Tommo781
    Jeez. OP: get a life, mate.

Seriously, there are bigger things to worry about than sh*tty carpets in a property you've bought. Are you going to don a pair of Marigolds before you touch any of the door handles or the kitchen worktops? Will you be paying to have the house fumigated before you move in?
    Originally posted by evoke
    There was no need for you to be so rude. Please don't tell me to get a life when you know nothing about me.
    • Greatgimp
    • By Greatgimp 13th Jan 11, 2:07 PM
    • 823 Posts
    • 916 Thanks
    Greatgimp
    Leave the carpets there. Cut about 2 inches all around, that means you can paint the walls, skirting boards, frames etc without having your knees on the hard floor. Make the most of them.
    The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 13th Jan 11, 2:17 PM
    • 49,195 Posts
    • 60,875 Thanks
    G_M
    If it is written into the contract which both you and the sellers sign, then yes, you can "insist on them being removed legally".

If the contract you sign icludes the carpets, then clealy you can't insist!
  • iB1
    You can ask if they would do so. It's not a legal issue, so they may either accept or decline. If they decline, would it be worth the hassle of kicking up a fuss over? I shouldn't think so. If they really are that manky, then hoover and shampoo them on the day you move in. leave them whilst you decorate and rip -em up when you're done
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 13th Jan 11, 2:47 PM
    • 15,483 Posts
    • 82,912 Thanks
    GDB2222
    If it is written into the contract which both you and the sellers sign, then yes, you can "insist on them being removed legally".

If the contract you sign icludes the carpets, then clealy you can't insist!
    Originally posted by G_M
    This is the obviously correct answer. The real question is why don't you just ask and see what the reaction is?

The snags you face are:

1. You may offend the executors and they don't sell to you. (These carpets were good enough for gran, and this **** buyer doesn't even want to touch them!!)

2. The executors think it's a hassle for them as they may be in a different part of the country - they've already had the house cleared, and they'll just find another buyer. By the time a solicitor is involved in organising their removal, it could cost £500-1000.

I'd just knock a few hundred off my offer, to pay for a couple of blokes in a van to cart the carpets off to the dump. You can offer the executors a choice of more money if they see to it, but that may cause more trouble than it's worth.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
    • Running Horse
    • By Running Horse 13th Jan 11, 2:49 PM
    • 10,570 Posts
    • 21,268 Thanks
    Running Horse
    Personally I prefer to paint skirting boards as far down as possible, which means lifting the carpet.

I have no real answer for the OP, but can remember when leaving carpets behind was considered a big deal. Like everything else nowadays they seem to be a throwaway item.
    I was present at wreath-laying but don't think I was involved.
  • tamarto
    A few hundred quid for some blokes to uplift and remove, i'll come down and do it for that!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,631Posts Today

6,250Users online

Martin's Twitter