PPI claim HFC Bank

Options
In 2007/2008 I started a claim against HFC for PPI cover.
The last letter than I got from them said that they didn't agree with my claim that I had been missold and told me that I should take it to the ombudsman.
At this point I took it no further as I was not sure where to start and was a bit nervous about doing it.
With all the stuff still going on around PPI I want to try and pursue it again.

Do you think I could still pursue this after this length of time? Do I need to start the claim again or should I send HFC another letter starting off from where I left it?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Cheryl

Comments

• di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    Chez2k wrote: »
    In 2007/2008 I started a claim against HFC for PPI cover.
    The last letter than I got from them said that they didn't agree with my claim that I had been missold and told me that I should take it to the ombudsman.
    At this point I took it no further as I was not sure where to start and was a bit nervous about doing it.
    With all the stuff still going on around PPI I want to try and pursue it again.

Do you think I could still pursue this after this length of time? Do I need to start the claim again or should I send HFC another letter starting off from where I left it?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl

I am not sure where you would stand to be honest, basically the 6 month timescale to complain to the FOS is from the date of the final letter you received.
    I take it that was the final decision.

Having said that, I believe the HFC were one of those fined for the way PPI was sold with policies taken out from Jan 2005.

There is no harm in giving it another go, maybe you did not realise then about them being fined, and could mention this in the letter and give your reasons on why you believe you were mis sold.

There is actually a reclaiming questionnaire that replaced the template letter on this site, you could complete that instead of writing a letter, if you want to, if you prefer to write a letter, then I would do so in your own words, as its more personal to your reclaim.

Keep copies of all you send and receive in case you need to go back to this again, as you are aware they have 8 weeks to give a decision, but may ask for more time.

Reclaiming questionnaire on stage one of reclaiming here;
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance#reclaim

The FOS will consider reasons to take your complaint on, for example maybe something personal held you back from continuring, hospital etc.

But otherwise give it another try, good luck and please let us know how you get on, cheers.
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • Chez2k
    Chez2k Posts: 76 Forumite
    Options
    I didn't realise that there was a 6 month timescale after the initial complaint for people to take it to the FOS.

I will go and have a look at the questionnaire. Didn't know that the template had been replaced.

Will get all my bits together and the write to them. Worth giving it a go. You never know!!

Thanks for the advice.
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    I didn't realise that there was a 6 month timescale after the initial complaint for people to take it to the FOS.

I will go and have a look at the questionnaire. Didn't know that the template had been replaced.

Will get all my bits together and the write to them. Worth giving it a go. You never know!!

Thanks for the advice.

Because you did not know about the 6 month timescale, maybe that was not the final decision then, because normally they must inform you of this on the final letter, give it a go.
    Good luck Cheryl.;)
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • Alpine_Star
    Alpine_Star Posts: 1,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's possible that the FSA will grant another extension (the last one has elapsed) to the 6 month time limit between when a complaint is rejected by the bank and when you can take it to the Ombudsman.

1.13 We are also considering whether we should seek (following consultation) to extend
    the time limit consumers have for referring a PPI complaint to the FOS following
    receipt of a firm’s final response letter. This would extend the protection available
    for consumers who may have had their complaints rejected unfairly (and would
    potentially be a more general version of the temporary time extension we made for
    some complainants in May 2010). We will reflect on this potential measure (and
    also whether to allow the temporary time extension to lapse on its scheduled date
    of 27 October 2010) in light of developments over the coming months.

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pubs/policy/ps10_12.pdf

But as Di said, if the bank didn't inform you of your right to go to the Ombudsman within 6 months when rejecting your complaint, it can't be considered as a legitimate final determination and you could include this as an element of your complaint to the FOS.
  • Chez2k
    Options
    That sounds a little more promising.

I know when HFC wrote back to me that they said one of the reasons that they wouldn't give me my money back on the particular account in question was because I had had other accounts with them in the past that I had had PPI on and I hadn't ever complained about them.

I am now thinking that they were just trying it on as a way of putting me off.
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,005 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    That sounds a little more promising.

I know when HFC wrote back to me that they said one of the reasons that they wouldn't give me my money back on the particular account in question was because I had had other accounts with them in the past that I had had PPI on and I hadn't ever complained about them.

I am now thinking that they were just trying it on as a way of putting me off.
    If you had other accounts with ppi, get your claim in for those as well 9will put money on it that you took one loan to pay another? and that would have meant a new ppi, if you have reasons for mis sell.If the bank say they cannot find these accounts then you have it in writing from them that you had these and can go to fos.Also, put in your letter to recomplain that they put this as a reason for not refunding you.
  • Chez2k
    Options
    Would you put them in as seperate claims or as a joint one?
  • Alpine_Star
    Alpine_Star Posts: 1,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Would you put them in as seperate claims or as a joint one?

I would keep them separate.
  • roonaldo
    roonaldo Posts: 3,420 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    if you have the letter they sent have a look. like previous people have just said, basically if they issued a final response they would have given you your 6 month FOS referral rights. If they did, its too late. If its just a first response letter then you can still reply.

What Alpine star said was true, but unfortunetley, the time scale does not relate to complaints referred to FOS 3/4 years later.

Also if you send seperate complaints, you are likely to get 2 replies, one reply that says 'we replied to this years ago', the other they would investigate, so do it as a joint complaint.
  • Chez2k
    Options
    I no longer have any of the paperwork from the 2 other previous. They were buy now pay later things... One through dixons and the other pc world. How do I go about getting these? Would I send a data protection letter with cheques and request copies of the agreements that I signed??

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport