Lanzarote, Fuerteventura or Tenerife?

Options
I am looking to take my wife and two 13 year old kids on holiday next Apr/May but not sure which place is the best place to go out of Lanzarote, Fuerteventura or Tenerife. I would appreciate any recommendations and the reasons why

Thanks

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I haven't been to Fuerteventura or Tenerife so can't comment, but I wouldn't recommend Lanzarote. Possibly we were unlucky with the weather - no rain, but dark and overcast for the first week which was unusual for the time of year - and the person I was with found it really depressing due to the combination of grey overhead and grey landscape. It just had a really dismal feel to it. Plus we're not into spending the day on the beach or by the pool, but found that Lanzarote really didn't have much more to offer. Just found it boring.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • jd87
    jd87 Posts: 2,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    elsien, if you went in bad weather then you didn't exactly get the best look at the island. I haven't been to Lanza so can't comment.

OP, I have been to Tenerife and Fuerteventura. To be honest all the islands have a lot of variation from one resort to the next. I wouldn't make a decision based on one island or another. Just pick a resort or hotel you like, whatever island it is on.

Why not Gran Canaria?
  • alanhiggins
    Options
    I'm open to any place so I will look at Gran Canaria as well
  • ryantcb
    ryantcb Posts: 273 Forumite
    Options
    Lanzarote you need to stay in Puerto del carmen as thats where the restaurants and bars are. You can also take a boat over to Fuerteventura (Island is mainly sand dunes) for the day. My Vote Lanzarote
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You might want to consider Madeira as well. Their flower festival is on around that time and is well worth seeing.
  • stephb34
    stephb34 Posts: 2,064 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Been to all 3, think i prefer lanzarote but not for any outstanding reason they're all pretty much the same, hotels, beaches,shops, weekly market etc. Lanzarote has the Timfanya national park with its live volcano, Tenerife has Siam park, not sure about furteventura. Lanzarote is the shortest flight time just over 3 hours where as tenerife is the longest at just over 4hrs. I found Tenerife to have the most foreigners there (french not germans) as for the weather thats tempremental so couldn't recommend on that basis.
  • vegasvisitor
    Options
    I haven't been to Fuerteventura, but have been to the others, and also Gran Canaria.

I really like the San Eugenio area in Tenerife, and Matagorda in Lanzarote. Much prefer Matagorda to Puerto del Carmen itself which is also within easy reach. Matagorda is also very close to the airport, so you could remove the transfers and take a quick cheap taxi. There are 2 other resorts in Lanzarote, but slightly quieter, so depends on your needs.

I'm not keen on Gran Canaria, but others will likely say they prefer it. It all just depends what you want. I think weather and flight times should be similar for all islands, they're really quite close together.

Out of curiosity, if you want a taster of the islands, you might even consider a cruise?
  • will-he-payitoff
    Options
    Been to all three and would only go back to Lanzarote, no timeshare touts. IMO Playa Blanca is much more a family resort than Puerto del Carmen
  • geoffky
    geoffky Posts: 6,835 Forumite
    edited 28 December 2010 at 3:38PM
    Options
    I spend six months a year in Fuerteventura,,but have been to the other islands many times,If you have kids it must be tenerife as there are more things to do...The bus service on the islands is great and cheap so you can have some great adventures with the kids...For a quiet one you must choose fuerteventura or lanzorote..no matter where you choose you will have a great time in the islands..enjoy

just re-read your post and it looks like tenerife for you would suit...have a look at los cristianos as its not as culturally wrecked as las Americas and is a good base to travel all over the island.. we stay in Los Realejos when we go.
    It is nice to see the value of your house going up'' Why ?
    Unless you are planning to sell up and not live anywhere, I can;t see the advantage.
    If you are planning to upsize the new house will cost more.
    If you are planning to downsize your new house will cost more than it should
    If you are trying to buy your first house its almost impossible.
  • pinkcandyflossprincess
    Options
    i think gran canaria and tenerife are better for family holidays -lanzaorote and fuerteventura are more chilled out. I came back from Jandia in fuerteventura a few weeks ago and loved it but never had kids with me. my children tbh would have been happy if i had took them but a lot of teens would have been bored maybe as wasnt a lot of other type of entertainment besides that provided by hotels?
    my moms in gran canaria a the moment and said she likes it better than Lanzarote so its all different opinions.
    i allways thought id hate the canary islands but i loved fuerteventura- found the beach amazing and where else do you have wild parrots and chipmonks you can feed as you stroll about. to me thats amzing but others may find that not of interest at all?
    xx
    ***MSE...My.Special.Escape***
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family