Transporting a dead person.

Options
We have in the last six months moved a very elderly relative from her home 200 miles away into a nursing home near to us as she has no other relatives and was being taken financial advantage of by some "friends", however that is a different story.
The question is that she had taken out a prepayment funeral insurance to be buried with her husband near to her original home. The insurance only covers death within 15miles of the stated home.
Not to sound very insensitive , but as things happen very quickly when someone dies we would like to know what is the most cost effective method of moving a dead body 200miles.

Comments

• tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm sure the undertakers she has her plan with would make arrangements for you , or a local to you firm would make arrangements for you, ring around for some prices would be the best plan.
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • frogglet
    Options
    The plan is with an insurance company not an undertakers. They have offered to make enquiries on our behalf and give us a quote. Therefore we might as well ask for quotes ourselves......

So is it only undertakers who are able to transport dead bodies, or are there other companies who undertake this ?
  • sophieschoice
    Options
    As far as I was aware (and I stand to be corrected) anyone can transport a dead body.
    Undertakers and funeral directors are not necessary so I would imagine a cardboard coffin and an estate car would do.
    I think it's just the necessary paperwork that has to be in order.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Local cremation will make the process a lot easier.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    true, but if I were among the relatives I would want to be sure that the person would find this acceptable. I know it will be a bit late by then, but I'm glad to know that cremation was my dad's and is my mum's wish.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Options
    Nearly all pre payment funerals have a radius limit. They also usually have, in the small print, a fee per mile for transportation over the limit. If you can't find it in the plan details then call the company and ask.
  • margaretclare
    Options

If she wants to be buried beside her late husband - buried, not cremated - then that is what should happen.

Alternatively, as she appears to be still alive, discuss with her the practicalities - does she still want what she originally planned, or would burial of ashes in her husband's grave be good enough for her?

I feel very strongly that people's wishes should be carried out.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • frogglet
    frogglet Posts: 767 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. Her wishes are clearly stated in the details of the charter she has paid for and as she is catholic she wishes to be buried.
    She isn't in a position to start talking about any changes, we just want to get the transport sorted, the insurance company have quoted over £1000.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Perhaps you could get a quote for transportation only from her nearest undertakers?
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure