Any one use Fasthosts to managed website?

mrscmr
mrscmr Posts: 2,903 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi,

dont normally find myself here.. usually on the diary thread but.. trying to sort out my website.

our isp is fasthost, we have website hosting and eshop in the account,

yesterday i was uploading products and images without a problem, but today the images are showing up as a white box with a red x in the corner.

have spoken to their support desk.. which is a bit flaky if you ask me.

does anyone have anything to suggest?

im tearing my hair out having spent 12 hrs yesterday working well and 5 hrs today achieving NOTHING!!!!!!

thanks
mrscmr
Highest Debt £581,000 Nov 08 and now owe nothing! yes really! I have learnt my lesson the hard way!
:heart2:Ebay Challenge 2011 - Still supporting from afar!
Long haulers supporters DFW #223

Comments

• Lil306
    Lil306 Posts: 1,692 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Have you changed the file-paths to any pictures or moved them
    (hell even renamed them)?

If fasthosts use linux servers filenames are case sensitive

Webservers on linux will throw a !!!!y fit if you change file names and don't update the links to the files.

I'd try these.....

• Make sure any plug-ins needed are installed
    • Check the permissions (I think for linux it's 777 or 655) I can't quite recall.
    • Were the graphics uploaded in ASCII mode?
    • Right click graphic, make a note of EXACT file path and check it including the EXACT file name, make sure they're both the same. .JPEG and .JPG are two different filenames for webpages
    Can you post the website address, I can help check it for you?
    Owner of andrewhope.co.uk, hate cars and love them

Working towards DFD

HSBC Credit Card - £2700 / £7500
    AA Loans - (cleared £9700)
  • mrscmr
    hi lily

the website is not yet published
    we are using their eshop to build up our product image and description.

yesteday i added 49 products without issue, but today its not working,
    i have not changed links, names, or anything. i did think that it was something to do with limits in the gallery so i made new gallery to try to spread them out. is there a limit to size or no's of files do you know?

thanks for replying
    i do have a call logged and they have passed to 2nd line but like all customers i want it sorted now... :)
    Highest Debt £581,000 Nov 08 and now owe nothing! yes really! I have learnt my lesson the hard way!
  • Lil306
    edited 28 March 2010 at 4:01PM
    mrscmr wrote: »
    hi lily

the website is not yet published
    we are using their eshop to build up our product image and description.

yesteday i added 49 products without issue, but today its not working,
    i have not changed links, names, or anything. i did think that it was something to do with limits in the gallery so i made new gallery to try to spread them out. is there a limit to size or no's of files do you know?

thanks for replying
    i do have a call logged and they have passed to 2nd line but like all customers i want it sorted now... :)

Names Andrew ;), there's another story behind Lil306 :D

It's ok if the website isn't published. I know it's public on this forum, but if you want to you're welcome to PM me the addy if you don't want to share it.

The filesize limits will be down to the configuration of the site host. My domain is owned with Fasthosts, but I self-host my website on my home PC. I don't like using a *NIX based webserver, much prefer systems I can understand.

• How much bandwidth / disk space have you got?
    • Do you have any warnings in your apache error logs? (cPanel probably control panel)
    • Do you have any settings where you can amend the files, or allocations allowed?

I'd check permissions / filepath, I think they are going to be the most likely cause.

Working towards DFD

• mrscmr
    Hi Andrew - sorry thought you were lily!

we are using sitebuilder with eshop addition.

i have 39 pics in on gallery and a few more in another.

when i add pics to the gallery they show as the white square with red cross. when i try to add them to my web page then they dont even appear - just white.

i dont class myself as a silly tech user as have been doing this many years but fasthost sitebuilder baffles me! its slow and inconsistent. dont really want to change though. file sizes are around 48000 bytes and are jpg files.
    we have used 1% of our webspace, we have a web and email account and we have the 10 pages option [could that be the problem?]

support seem to be bad.

i see that there is a faq which is :
    Fixing picture display problems

If some of your pictures are not showing up properly or just look like a white box with a small red "X" in them this tool should fix the problem.
    This error sometimes occurs after uploading new pictures.

Click OK to reset the images and then republish your site.

but i dont want to publish the site yet, if i click to try and fix it - says there is an error and to try later... which i mentioned to support.

not sure what to do?
  • Lil306
    edited 28 March 2010 at 5:39PM
    I'll try shorterning down my replies, as they're getting longer by the minute...

Something quickly to try, go into your website control panel.
    Find the "Apache" error logs, and look for any errors pointing to those images and what the error code is

1. Is it RV sitebuilder in cPanel what you're using?
    2. What are you referring to by 10 pages, fasthost has no packages to my knowledge that limit the sites to 10 pages max
    3. How do you add pictures to the site, batch or manually?
    4. Do you have any options for Thumbnails or Pictures in your admin section of gallery?
    5. Does it mention any error code for that "tool", any numbers?
    6. Try this, right click on the picture in your internet browser that is showing the redX and choose "copy image location".... open up another internet tab and paste in here, try to see if the image displays.
    7. Also, try putting one of the pictures into a seperate directory on your website for example /test. Try seeing if you can see the picture here, if it works here then it's a problem with your sitebuilder config, which would most likely be down to Fasthost. Or there was a faulty install. It's hard for me to see the problem without knowing the paths or direct access to your control panel so I can only offer some suggestions that can help you out

Working towards DFD

• mrscmr
    ooooo ok will report back shortly!
    thanks!
  • peasantboy
    peasantboy Posts: 95 Forumite
    The error your seeing usually means two things, the files don't exist or your looking in the wrong place.
    What if you try and publish them just to see if it works? If it does, take it down. It might be something simple as that.
  • mrscmr
    404 - File or directory not found.

The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

i get this if i right click on one of the bad images, go to properties and paste url into a new window.

is that something? or is that cos its not published?
  • mrscmr
    ok further...

if i do the same action with a 'good' image then its fine in a new window
  • mrscmr
    ok have deleted 'bad' images and trying again
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport