Timeshare - any supporters

Options
Hi

I own two weeks of timeshare and I am satisfied that they represent good value for money.

I know there are a lot of scams and I can only beg people not to buy if pressure is applied - this goes for any sale, not just timeshare. IF a timeshare deal is above board, you will be welcomed back next year - after you've done research at home.

Anybody else have good experience of timeshare?

:)

GG
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.

Comments

• anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why not just pay for hotels when and how you want?

Oh and legalise guns so when you get the people pushing time shares while you're on holiday you can actually get rid of them for once.
  • pjran
    pjran Posts: 1,909 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We've owned one for 16years. Its in the uk,lovely countryside and not far from the beach.

We did join a company to swap our weeks.Exchanged a few times abroard.Never quite got our first choice or size of villa/flat, so not renewed our membership.

Always choose somewhere you'll be happy to return.
  • anewman
    Options
    pjran wrote:
    Always choose somewhere you'll be happy to return.

Which is why you should never choose somewhere where you get pestered every 5 minutes by time share sellers as you'll never get any peace every time you go.
  • pjran
    pjran Posts: 1,909 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    anewman wrote:
    Which is why you should never choose somewhere where you get pestered every 5 minutes by time share sellers as you'll never get any peace every time you go.
    Have you ever been pestered in the UK by Timeshare touts?
  • anewman
    Options
    pjran wrote:
    Have you ever been pestered in the UK by Timeshare touts?

Actually I did get a letter in the post once - so technically yes but not in person. Apparently they suggest you will get a free holiday and you have been specially selected, if you go to some sort of meeting - which I found out (after some research, I didn't go) was basically a sales pitch for a timeshare. I put the letter in the bin. I have also heard of companies doing this and getting lots of money then mysteriously dissappearing with your money.

But Albufeira - Portugal; people coming up to you at every opportunity giving you a scratch card etc etc yes. Timeshares do exist outside the UK and if you get one in the UK chances are you won't be pestered ;)
  • Saint_Chris
    Saint_Chris Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Options
    we own 4 weeks in palm beach in tenerife.

2 weeks in nov
    and
    2 weeks march

and i wouldn't swap them for the world.

I pay my maintance each year, i get cheap flights and i know where i'm going.

Rigth on the beach front over looking the sea, well that is in march.

In nov i've 2 weeks on floor 12 overlooking the sea side on and los c.

I love both and wouldn't be without them.
  • Gorgeous_George
    Gorgeous_George Posts: 7,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    anewman wrote:
    Why not just pay for hotels when and how you want?

Oh and legalise guns so when you get the people pushing time shares while you're on holiday you can actually get rid of them for once.

There's a huge difference between renting a room in a hotel and staying at a place you own. It's similar to the difference between living on an estate of rental properties and living on a private estate.

Whether it's cheaper depends on what you pay. My first timeshare cost £3K and sleeps 6. I know others who have paid £10K for one that sleeps 4 and they only have the right to use it once every two years.

I agree with the guns ;) .

I rarely get approached in Gran Canaria - perhaps twice in 6 years. It was worse in Tenerife but I learned to look straight ahead and ignore them. If they offer you scratchcards, don't be too surprised when the second one wins the star prize :p

Walk away.

:)

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
  • MrSmartprice
    MrSmartprice Posts: 17,625 Forumite
    Options
    I can't see how timeshare makes sense for any holidaymakers really. Some friends have a week in a place in Tenerife and we have visited it with them. It is pleasant enough, but certainly not a five star palace like they would have you believe.

It seems a very expensive way to holiday though. You pay as much in maintenance as you would to hire a similar apartment in a non-timeshare development. You also have to pay a membership of the organisation. Then there are booking fees. And the flights aren't cheap through these people. When we went we did our own flights at half the cost of our friends. And on top of all this you have to buy the place. If you have a loan there is the interest to consider. And if you don't there is loss of interest on capital.

All in all, it is a rip-off. And the rubbish they give you about resale values is scandalous. They are always difficult to sell, and you will only ever get a fraction of the original cost back.
  • Finishrich
    Finishrich Posts: 1,038 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I don't see the benefit in them either (unless you know a friend who has one and invites you along:D ) Especially with the maintenance fees, like someone else pointed out you could rent a place plus you don't have the upfront costs. But I guess it's each to their own.
  • Kilty_2
    Kilty_2 Posts: 5,818 Forumite
    Options
    It was worse in Tenerife but I learned to look straight ahead and ignore them. If they offer you scratchcards, don't be too surprised when the second one wins the star prize :p

Yeah we had that in Los Cristianos, told them where to go with their scratchcards though :)

They couldnt emphisize enough that "this is not timeshare" :rolleyes:

Really nice place though, would return. We stayed in "Club Tenerife" which is actually timeshare apartments (ironically) but we booked through a travel agent.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure