🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Timeshare - any supporters

Options

Comments

• Browntrout_2
    Browntrout_2 Posts: 295 Forumite
    Options
    My parents have owned a week in Sept here for 19 years, they paid approx £3000. They were happy with this arrangement over the years at got their money's worth, but are now in their 70s and do not want it anymore.

Last year the annual fee was £385.00

They have had it listed for sale for 2 years, but no takers at any price.

Problem is it is theirs 'in perpetuity', so not only are they liable forever, it becomes part of their heritable estate and the family becomes liable!

I have advised them to write giving three months notice to and cease ownership and hand back the deeds. Trouble is my parents are sure they'll be pursued through the courts and they're not up to that. Understandble with award of costs threat etc.

I think this is a potential national scandal.

Has anyone heard of a similar situation, do you think they would pursue it?

This may not be a problem in Tenerife at present but if there was a economic downturn would there be buyers, and would other companies have the same attitude as Macdonald Hotels in Scotland?

Dalfaber Village, Near Aviemore
    Aviemore, Scotland, Europe PH22 1ST
    Macdonald Dalfaber Resort is situated on the banks of the River Spey near the mountain backdrop of the Cairngorms. Vacationers will enjoy the 9-hole golf course, indoor swimming pool, badminton, whirlpool, and a gymnasium on-site. Also known as: Dalfaber Golf & Country Club
    Formerly known as: Barratt Dalfaber Golf & Country Club
    If it takes a man a week to walk to walk a fortnight how long does it take a fly with tackity boots on to walk through a barrel of treacle?
  • scubaleopard
    scubaleopard Posts: 257 Forumite
    Options
    If you dont pay the maintenance fees I am sure they will just take it off your hands. But we did sell 1 of our weeks through a telephone enquiry and all went smoothly.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I prefer getting great deals on excellent hotels in different great places in Europe and the world.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Mark7799
    Mark7799 Posts: 4,806 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We've owned a one week timeshare for seven years - no major problems.

We actually own in West Wales but I'd never dream of using it for a holiday - we bank it and swap it for somewhere else through Interval International or RCI - so far (among others)we've been to Marbella, Gran Canaria, Portugal, Florida and this year we're off for two weeks in Sharm el Sheikh.

What persuaded us was the standard of accommodation - far in excess of what we'd managed to get with package deals.
    Gwlad heb iaith, gwlad heb galon
  • Browntrout_2
    Options
    If you dont pay the maintenance fees I am sure they will just take it off your hands. But we did sell 1 of our weeks through a telephone enquiry and all went smoothly.

I spoke to a lawyer, their input was that unless you could prove a breach of contract then Macdonald would be well within their rights to hand the debt, plus interest accrued, to a debt collection agency who would pursue the owner as long as they had assets to liquidate, macdonald would get a percentage of this.

As long as you are trading up, timeshare operators will facilitate a move, try getting out and it's impossible.
    If it takes a man a week to walk to walk a fortnight how long does it take a fly with tackity boots on to walk through a barrel of treacle?
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Browntrout wrote: »

I think this is a potential national scandal.

Sorry, but I don't see why !

This is just a duff investment, just the same as if you had bought shares in Euro Tunnel.

Caveat Emptor !
  • Browntrout_2
    Options
    moonrakerz wrote: »
    Sorry, but I don't see why !

This is just a duff investment, just the same as if you had bought shares in Euro Tunnel.

Caveat Emptor !

I agree any duff investment you can lose 100%, no problems there.

With a timeshare your loss seems to be unlimited, it is yours in perpetuity, with no way out?

£385 annual maint last year, increasing every year, and when you die it is passed on as part your estate!

unless someone can tell me how to get out?
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Browntrout wrote: »
    I agree any duff investment you can lose 100%, no problems there.

With a timeshare your loss seems to be unlimited, it is yours in perpetuity, with no way out?

£385 annual maint last year, increasing every year, and when you die it is passed on as part your estate!

unless someone can tell me how to get out?

Surely all that was in the contract ? if it wasn't - that is your way out.
  • RichardJohn_2
    Options
    Why would you want to go to the same place every year?
  • Saint_Chris
    Saint_Chris Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Options
    Why not go to the same place.

My parents are retired and they go on a summer holiday every year to somewhere different.

But in winter they have 2 weeks in there time share. They bought these 2 weeks of the previous owner for £1000 and they now pay £500 for 2 weeks maintance. Most people rent apts out private for that. then they have ther flights to get.

But what my 70 year old parents know is in nov, they book there flights and have 2 weeks in the sun. And i'm not bothering if the accommodation is ok, what view they have from there balcony etc.

I kno what they get at there complex, they get 4* accommodation.

There apt is a 1 bed which sleeps 4 very easily. They have 2 balconies both side on to the complex, but you can see the sea and all over the resort. The balcony gets the sun all day long. There is a dvd player in the apt, so i give them some to take with them,should they decide to stay in.
    The complex is spotless, they know the location and they know the bars they like to visit.

What is wrong with this.

And should anything happen to them then yes the apt would become mine and i probably couldn't afford it. But i would just give it back. But they would have only lost £1000

But i know that they have had imense pleaseure from every nov sitting looking at the sea with the sun in there hair, a nice complex with the same people each year for maybe a bit more than a 2* might cost.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport