Flights gone up by £100 pp within a week!!

Options
blue_monkey_2
blue_monkey_2 Posts: 11,435 Forumite
I am a tad ticked off.

I looked at flights earlier this week to go to Florida in October but we are waiting for the accomodation we want to be released so cannot book the flights yet.

So I've checked again last night *sigh, I want to go now* and they have gone up from £1600 to £2000!!!!! :eek:

And don't even get me started on the 'peak charges'. Flying on Weds/Thurs/Fri before H/T starts is £538 pp - on the 1st Saturday of half term it is nearly £1000!!!!! :eek: And they wonder why people take their kids out of school.

I thought it was because of the propsed BA strike and Virgin charging more but BA have also risen from £1580 to £1980. What is going on???? Are they price fixing??

Comments

• alanrowell
    alanrowell Posts: 5,365 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why would a theorectical BA strike affect flights in October?

What is more likely is that someone has bought some seats and hence the yield management software has bumped up the price on the rest.
  • blue_monkey_2
    Options
    alanrowell wrote: »
    Why would a theorectical BA strike affect flights in October?

Because the agent told me last week that threats of strike action/airlines going bust means that other airlines put the prices of their flights up because a) people are reluctant to fly BA and b) there is less competition.

Funny how both BA/Virgin have both risen by almost the same amount though. Or maybe I am being way too cynical. People having bought the same amount of seats on BA and Virgin enough to justify them rising the price by £100 pp. Hmmmm.....
  • Heliflyguy
    Heliflyguy Posts: 932 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 January 2010 at 3:25PM
    Options
    I am a tad ticked off.

I looked at flights earlier this week to go to Florida in October but we are waiting for the accomodation we want to be released so cannot book the flights yet.

So I've checked again last night *sigh, I want to go now* and they have gone up from £1600 to £2000!!!!! :eek:

And don't even get me started on the 'peak charges'. Flying on Weds/Thurs/Fri before H/T starts is £538 pp - on the 1st Saturday of half term it is nearly £1000!!!!! :eek: And they wonder why people take their kids out of school.

I thought it was because of the propsed BA strike and Virgin charging more but BA have also risen from £1580 to £1980. What is going on???? Are they price fixing??

Are these prices all in the same booking class? if not then the price may not have gone up, without knowing its hard to judge.
    Price fixing...not after VS grassed BA last time although Willy new nothing about this of course and still keeps his job.
  • pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am a tad ticked off.

Surely there is more accomodation than flights, I always book the flights first and then worry about somewhere to stay. It does seem strange that Virgin and BAs prices are very similar, even down to pennies sometimes, I guess it must just be a coincidence, although some stories on here during the proposed BA strike claimed that BA cabin crew earned twice as much as Virgins crew earned, so are VA ripping us off or BA matching to keep customers?
  • blue_monkey_2
    edited 21 January 2010 at 4:57PM
    Options
    pompeyrich wrote: »
    Surely there is more accomodation than flights, I always book the flights first and then worry about somewhere to stay.

No, we are waiting for a specific timeshare (AK Villas) to become available in Disney, it costs us £165 pw exchange fee - to book it with a Travel Agent or Disney costs £3k+ pw for a 1 bed or 4k+ for a 2 bedroom apartment which is what we can have (bargaining power). Just a room costs £250 ish a day - hence the wait. They only have until end of August relaeasd so we've got to wait a few more weeks until we get a specific checking in date but we've got it on reserve to get first refusal. If we do not get that then it will be Saratoga Springs or Boardwalk Villas - either way it is worth the wait, and thinking about it that way, the rise in price for what we are going to be saving.

I've also got an Autistic child, to have the worry about having to find rooms elsewhere for 1-2 or 3 nights whilst we wait for a specific check in date with Disney is just too much for him to deal with, so we have to wait so we can literally get off the plane and go to the bus and to the hotel.
  • blue_monkey_2
    Options
    Heliflyguy wrote: »
    Are these prices all in the same booking class? if not then the price may not have gone up, without knowing its hard to judge.

Yes, I checked the same flights and same booking class. Just irritating that they do this but hopefully we will not have too much longer and we can get it booked.
  • hairy_g
    hairy_g Posts: 340 Forumite
    Options
    I am a tad ticked off.

I'm a bit pi55ed off with Virgin at moment as well. We'll be flying out in october, and because it's around the half term, they won't do any "miles plus money" flights for the dates we want. We could save up to £200 per flight.
  • _Andy_
    _Andy_ Posts: 11,150 Forumite
    Options
    hairy_g wrote: »
    I'm a bit pi55ed off with Virgin at moment as well. We'll be flying out in october, and because it's around the half term, they won't do any "miles plus money" flights for the dates we want. We could save up to £200 per flight.

It's not that they "won't" due any, its just that fare class is full.
  • PolishBigSpender
    Options
    _Andy_ wrote: »
    It's not that they "won't" due any, its just that fare class is full.

No no, it's clearly a conspiracy! I mean, private businesses shouldn't be charging more in periods of high demand, should they?
    From Poland...with love.

They are (they're)
    sitting on the floor.
    Their
    books are lying on the floor.
    The books are sitting just there on the floor.
  • mogadon
    mogadon Posts: 312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The whole world does not revolve around British school holidays. Canadian Thanksgiving is in October and American Thanksgiving is in November, so both months are considered peak travel periods in USA.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure