Timeshare trial - Club la costa

Options
I've read a few timeshare and club la costa threads on here and none of them appear to describe my circumstances so here goes...

I've accepted and gone on a promotional weekend break with CLC within the uk (Cornwall) and it was a v good experience with top notch accommodation, no hard sell, some free meals thrown in, etc etc.

However, what was sold to me was the option of a trial membership for just under 3 years, costing about £3.5k. After this period of time I have the option of walking away or signing up to the lifetime membership. This then costs £10k (about 14k in total) and not the 20k I've been reading about on here. I'm wondering whether they have recently changed their policies and whether based on these new conditions there are any satisfied members out there?

Also once you sign up you have 14 days to cancel and that is where I'm at now so I'm researching in earnest!

There was no hard sell. I felt free to walk away but the reason I signed up is because, amongst other reasons their prices are not seasonal and so no expensive school holidays. Also it would be nice to holiday in 5star + every time. The sales people also stated that a lot of the bad press previously seen has been due to franchises which no longer exist with the exception of 1 (in London).

My question therefore is, to enable me decide whether or not to cancel, has anyone taken up this trial membership and found it worthwhile? I can't really afford the full membership fee anyway and the maintenance annual fee of £475 is not encouraging but if it is truly going to be a saving versus spending loads during school holidays over the coming years then it is worth me saving up now for when the 3 years is up. The trial membership has no maintenance fees.

Any contribution would be much appreciated.

While waiting for replies I'll do a few holiday searches on the clc site and compare them to dIY holidays using the internet, teletext, expedia etc.

Thanks

MiM.
The reason people don't move right down inside the carriage is that there's nothing to hold onto when you're in the middle.

Comments

• dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Three pieces of advice

Walk away. NOW.

Walk away. NOW.

Walk away. NOW.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Club La Costa do not have a franchise in London, they have a Head Office there.

If you have read the many reviews or complaints on the internet about them what makes you think a time share salesman who is on a very high commission is going to tell you the truth.

I have some wonderful snake oil and can do a great deal especially for you
  • mobby-2554
    mobby-2554 Posts: 1,661 Forumite
    Options
    dzug1 wrote: »
    Three pieces of advice

Walk away. NOW.

Walk away. NOW.

Walk away. NOW.

I AGREE!!

You say;
    Also once you sign up you have 14 days to cancel and that is where I'm at now so I'm researching in earnest!

About £3.5k for your trial membership is a lot of money for 3yrs accommodation, don't you think?

I bought a Gold Crown 5* resale 10yrs ago also August school holiday wks for that price.
    You can even buy them cheaper now. Look on Ebay!

Don't leave it to late though or you'll not get through to them to cancel & it will be to late!
    Or why not cancel? Then do you're research?

Sorry to be so negative but I met a couple this year who tried to cancel with them & could not get through to anyone in time to do it!
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    Options
    The CLC accom is very good, however for a fraction of that money for the trial membership ie 50% you could buy into RCI points - look on ebay.com- and holiday all over the world.Do your research, be patient and buy resorts with "high points value to low membership fees ratio"- after all unless you really want to go to the resort, it doesnt matter where it is-its the points value you are after
    If you still want to go with CLC
    The full CLC membership is very overpriced and £10K will only get you the basic membership ie £450 maintance fees, enough for maybe 2 wks high season.A platinum membership will have management fees of over £1000 !
    Pay a fiver and join www.clcmembers.co.uk forum (independant) for priceless insider info and resale opportunities that will save you thousands

Theres many on here who slag off timeshare/CLC who really dont know what they are talking about, never having owned timeshare or been a member of CLC.
    They repeat sensational headlines as fact without any personal experience.

Fact- its quite expensive, but it is not Pontins
  • costapkt
    costapkt Posts: 428 Forumite
    Options
    I also signed up to the 'trial period' over 35 months costing roughly what you are paying. Thats the easy bit, sounds so good. The problems start when you get over there. The hard sell starts were they want you to sign up to the points system (The money you have paid for trial membership is knocked of price of full membership ) Depending on the price of the points at the time ( or what the salesperson tellls you ) this cost me around £21000. Yep, I was completely suckered and have been counting the cost ever since. On top of the cost you also have maintenance of £1000 a year.(with lower number of points can still be around the 800 mark ) Then after paying all this money you try and get the so called holidays of your dreams. Well, dream on. When you are first hooked by them nothing is to much trouble for CLC they will ring you offering ANY date or Destination. Once you are over there and you sign up to the points (that is all they want you to do ) the lies come out thick and fast. But at the time it all sounds so convincing. Any way you return home thinking CLC is the best thing since sliced bread, you have been brainwashed that much by being in their company. By the time you come back down to earth, cancellation is to late.
    So. I bit the bullet paid the fees then tried to book dates for the following year. You want dates in August ? No chance. We have a vacancy on the Costa del Sol. This is the same place that we signed up at. Well, that is all that we have. So back we go to Fuengirola. Surprise surprise another hard sell presentation awaits.
    The same thing happened for the next 3 years. Could not get what you wanted. Okay we did get holidays but not when and where we wanted or with CLC accomodation. It was always through RCI or other companies ( for which you have to pay extra ) Also these were only available , yes you've guessed it , on the Costa del Sol.

Would I advise you to join them, no chance.
    Walk away now. Do the sums.
    I think that anyone who praise CLC is hiding from the truth and they do not want to admit they have been well stuffed.
  • mobby-2554
    edited 24 November 2009 at 10:14AM
    Options
    budgetflyer: I'm sorry I don't agree with what you say; you could buy into RCI points.

In my opionion what do you actually own with points?
    When you try to sell nobody wants to buy them.
    At least if buy an apt people can see what they're buying & if you go for Gold Crown you are getting top of the range apts.

Below is my apt;
    http://www.regencyresorts.com/regency_club.html

I love my apt but the way maintenanc fees are going up & this year they decided to charge us in Euros for the 1st time is making it quite an expensive holiday when you include flights.

I'm not overly concerned because I know people who would buy it if/when I decide to sell. Wouldn't get my full money back, but I've had my money's worth.

costapkt, that happened to the couple I spoke to who were staying in my apts this year they had to use all their points & gone through RCI just to get away in August!

Everything you,ve said is what they told me.

After listening to them I would stay well clear of CLC.

Milky_Mocha be careful!
  • SwissLe
    SwissLe Posts: 265 Forumite
    Options
    Without wishing to sound rude, where do people get the money to hedge a luxury such as a holiday for 3 or even 10 years in advance?

Surely you can't put a price on the freedom to go wherever you want, not go if something unexpected happens and pick the deal you want?

In the past few years I've visited some truely amazing, real 5* resorts around the world and haven't paid anywhere near the sums of money people are bantering about.
    I'm going for my QuidCo £million!
    Total So Far: £9923.58
  • mobby-2554
    edited 24 November 2009 at 10:40AM
    Options
    I agree with that.

Now my husband is not restricted to school hoildays weeks we've been able to do that.

Been to some beautiful places Croatia/Portugal HB & really nice resorts out of season for just over the cost of our maintenance fees!
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    SwissLe wrote: »
    Without wishing to sound rude, where do people get the money to hedge a luxury such as a holiday for 3 or even 10 years in advance?

Surely you can't put a price on the freedom to go wherever you want, not go if something unexpected happens and pick the deal you want?

In the past few years I've visited some truely amazing, real 5* resorts around the world and haven't paid anywhere near the sums of money people are bantering about.

They get the money from the loan the timeshare/holiday club company flogs them.
  • simpywimpy
    simpywimpy Posts: 2,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You could buy an apartment in Turkey or Hurghada for the price of a lifetime membership. The annual fees are the same as they would be if you actually owned an apartment in these places (average £500pa)

Regardless of the 5 star accommodation, if you book late, there are always bargains to be had and would you really spend £1666 on a week's accommodation?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure