Employment Support Allowance (ESA)

Options
Ok i'm new to the Whole ESA thing.

I am currently on week 7ish of my claim. I was under the impression that whilst on this benefit i would be entitled to free NHS dental treatment and free NHS eye tests?
However after going to have my eye test today i was told that my claim letter (which they required to support my free test) did not state whether i am receiving income based ESa or contribution based ESA????? I receive £64.30 per week, as a single person. If this helps?
I was not told this upon booking my eye test.

I have done a bit of research and found somewhere that it mentioned, you are put into either section (income or contribution based) after claiming ESA for 14 weeks? Is this true? If so what does someone like myself do in the mean time?? Am i entitled to NHS treatment or not?

Also my second questions is, what happens when i am ready to return to seeking work (i do not have a job to go back to)? Is it a straight forward process moving from ESA to JSA? Are there waiting days? Will i have to wait weeks for any money again like i did with my new ESA claim?

Any advice would be great as i am finding the whole ESA thing rather confusing and feel like a leper, as no one seems that clued up on this benefit?

Comments

• NASA_2
    NASA_2 Posts: 5,571 Forumite
    Options
    The award letter should say something along the lines of 'this award is based on contributions paid in tax years 06/07 and 07/08' if it is ESA(C). Its worth pointing out that if you are entitled to ESA(C) at the same rate as ESA(IR) then it is the ESA(C) that is taken as being paid and you do not get free dental treatment etc.

The groups you go into at the start of the 14th week are to do with your ability to look for work and nothing else.

If you claim JSA within 26 weeks of leaving ESA then you do not have to serve waiting days and, in theory, its a straight switch from one benefit to another and you should not really be kept waiting too long.
  • MyRubyRed
    MyRubyRed Posts: 941 Forumite
    Options
    Nasa, what is the difference between JSA and ESA? Don't want to steal this thread but OH has just lost job and plowing through the nightmare of form filling
  • NASA_2
    Options
    MyRubyRed wrote: »
    Nasa, what is the difference between JSA and ESA? Don't want to steal this thread but OH has just lost job and plowing through the nightmare of form filling
    ESA is the new sickness benefit whereas JSA is for those who are unemployed and looking for work.

The forms dont have to be a nightmare, I know they are long, but most of the questions are yes/no with some requiring straightforward answers.
  • geministar2008
    Options
    Nassa i'm still confused, sorry.

All my letter says is we have used tax years ending 5 april 2007 to 5 April 2008 to asses you claim. Then from ...... your ESA is £64.30 per week.

It is only on the final page of the letter that it mentions ESA is worked out based on your NI contribution record. We call this contribution based of income related ESA. But it does not seem to spell out what i am on?

Any other advice?? Thanks
  • suelees1
    suelees1 Posts: 1,617 Forumite
    Options
    £64.30 could either be ESA income related or contribution based and it is only IR ESA which gives automatic free health care (dentists/opticians/prescriptions). If you need confirmation to access health care ask the Jobcentre for a letter. If it is CB ESA then it's not automatic and you should complete form HC1 to apply for free or partial help with health costs
    I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog too!
  • suelees1
    Options
    it sounds like contribution based
  • geministar2008
    Options
    how can i get something to say this? As the Opticians wouldnt accept the letter i had as it doesnt say what i am on. Should i call ESA and find out how i get around this?

Thanks
  • suelees1
    Options
    Explain to the Jobcentre why you need it and ask them to send you a confirmation letter stating which type of ESA it is
    If you ring and they tell you it's contribution based it's a bit pointless getting a letter as it won't be accepted for health costs and as I said you'll have to complete form HC1 and send it to the Prescription Pricing Authority.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 4 November 2009 at 7:52PM
    Options
    NASA, it says on my letter:

The payment of Emplyment and Support Allowence is based on your National Insurance Contributions records and any additional amount the law says you need to live on. We call this Contributory Based and Income Related Employment and Support Allowence"

do you get premiums added on to contributions based or is that just income related?

Does that say which i'm on? there's no way i could have enough NI credits for ESA(C)...i was only working FT for a year at most???

Plus ESA(C) is taxable and it says they'd write and tell you this but they haven't?

Sorry i'm just panicking as i've gotten free prescriptions the last 2 months
  • NASA_2
    Options
    From your last post it does sound like ESA(IR) especially if you havent been working for a while before putting the claim in or only working short term.

The only way to be certain is to ask though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure