Employment Support Allowance (ESA)

Options
2»

Comments

• MyRubyRed
    Options
    Asking officially does not seem an easy process so I can see where OP is coming from in seeking advice.Sorry if any of the helpful posters here work for DWP
    xxxx
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    NASA wrote: »
    From your last post it does sound like ESA(IR) especially if you havent been working for a while before putting the claim in or only working short term.

The only way to be certain is to ask though.
    Thanks. Need to ring up regarding a sick note anyway (do i still send them in now?).
  • NASA_2
    NASA_2 Posts: 5,571 Forumite
    Options
    MyRubyRed wrote: »
    Asking officially does not seem an easy process so I can see where OP is coming from in seeking advice.Sorry if any of the helpful posters here work for DWP
    xxxx
    It is fairly easy. All they phone operator has to do is look at one screen and read off it. Simples.
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks. Need to ring up regarding a sick note anyway (do i still send them in now?).

If it has been decided which group you are in then you do not need to send in anymore sick notes.
  • mbcomper
    mbcomper Posts: 106 Forumite
    Options
    NASA wrote: »
    The award letter should say something along the lines of 'this award is based on contributions paid in tax years 06/07 and 07/08' if it is ESA(C). Its worth pointing out that if you are entitled to ESA(C) at the same rate as ESA(IR) then it is the ESA(C) that is taken as being paid and you do not get free dental treatment etc.

The groups you go into at the start of the 14th week are to do with your ability to look for work and nothing else.

If you claim JSA within 26 weeks of leaving ESA then you do not have to serve waiting days and, in theory, its a straight switch from one benefit to another and you should not really be kept waiting too long.
    Hi

I am new to this ESA forum, just been reading through some of the posts and would like some advice if anyone can help me out?

I have been receiving Contribution based ESA since 28/7/09. I received an ESA50 form to fill in and was told to return it by 17/10/09. I was told by the local BDC that the ATOS people would call me for a medical in the near future.

I know that they will place me in either a work or support related group after completing my medical. However, when do I receive the increased payment of £25.50 per week and does it get backdated to 28/07/09 when I first claimed ESA?

I have spinal arthritis and arthritis is now developing in both of my hands and wrists. If I am put into the work group, sorry to sound dumb but what does this mean?

Do I have to get a job? Do I get put on JSA? I have worked all my life and this is the first time I have had to claim benefits, so I am on a learning curve to say the least. How long can you claim ESA, is their a time limit like JSA?

Thanks in advance!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    healy wrote: »
    If it has been decided which group you are in then you do not need to send in anymore sick notes.
    Thanks, think there was a crossover with the last note and that letter, sorted now. :)

mbcomper:1)i don't think the increased payment is backdated, you just start getting the increased amount from your next payment date (well that's what's happened to me)and 2)If you're placed in the work group you have to take part in work focused interviews with a personal advisor, tailored to helping you return to work (those in the sipport groupd don't have these)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure