PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Basket obsession. A confession.

InfamyInfamy
InfamyInfamy Posts: 1,727 Forumite
edited 3 November 2009 at 9:56PM in Old style MoneySaving
Ok, so maybe a weird title to a thread but it is true.
I have a basket obsession. It all started when I was young & my Nan had a wicker basket on wheels with a walking stick handle. I used to wheel it round the garden and fill it with fallen apples.

I love going shopping with a wicker basket popping into local little shops. Going to the Health Food shop to refill my Ecover bottles. I am sure it helps with money saving cos I can see whats in my basket, also I shy away from too much packaging and fruit & veg can go in loose.

I also have a selection of baskets in the coat closet with dusters, shoe cleaning stuff etc.

My OH hates this obsession!!! I am banned from buying any more!

Do I have a problem? I thought it felt very OS, what do you think?
:confused:

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it in for me!
:hello:

Comments

• I see no problem with your 'obsession'. I also covet baskets and have 7 or 8 of them on top of the dresser in the dining room, ready for serving bread, carting stuff outside when we eat in the garden and displaying fruit/veg. I have basket envy over your wheely basket with walking stick handles.

I also buy bowls of every shape and size and decoration - for serving pasta and soup, for displaying fruit and eggs, and just to look at. I would rather have a bowl or a basket than a bottle of perfume or expensive lingerie.

My DH thinks I'm slightly odd with my love of baskets and bowls. Maybe we should start a club.
  • muppet83
    muppet83 Posts: 114 Forumite
    I think its brilliant, far more practical than a carrier bag! and last far far far longer!
    :EasterBun
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I think you are a basket case;)

Seriously I can't see what is wrong with using baskets. I have lovely old-fashioned shopping basket that I use at the farm shop although it is currently storing quinces in the garage and a big log basket that I use in the garden for garden rubbish. I'd definitely like more. They are so much nicer than plastic containers or bags and very environmentally friendly.
  • merlin1
    merlin1 Posts: 715 Forumite
    edited 23 October 2009 at 1:37PM
    funny this thread should come up, my friend and i were talking about our sons the other day, we have 1 each and hers has just started secondary school and he's doin what we called home economics when we were at school. mine starts secondary next sept.

now, me and my friend have been best friends since we both started secondary(20yrs ago), and i asked her if she sends her boy in with the basket of cooking ingredients on cooking day like we did??? we did laugh!

one of our fondest memories is packing our baskets with small amounts of ingredients in little bags/tubs, putting in our crisp white aprons, and covering it all with a red or blue gingham patterned t-towel tucking the edges in nice and tight :o

i too love baskets!

eta - i love the sound of a basket when you put things in it, you know that gentle 'creak'? must be something from childhood....
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I love baskets too and am a total sucker for buying new ones. My best effort though was when I decided to frow a clump of willow in the allotment and go to basket making classes, so I could make my own. Well, three years of growing willow later it finally dawned that 1) the willow I was growing on the allotment was so healthy and thick it was only going to be good for making hefty furniture and 2) though I could make a perfectly respectable basket by then, it took me ages and in fact I didn't actually enjoy it that much. Plus it hacked up the skin on my hands, which meant I couldn't spin properly.

So I killed the willow on the allotment and no longer go to basketweaving classes. I'm using up my willow harvest for the last three years making bean supports (got enough for 20 years or so) and I'm back to buying baskets, lol.
    Val.
  • InfamyInfamy
    InfamyInfamy Posts: 1,727 Forumite
    One basket he didn,t moan about was when I got my step through bike off of Freecycle. Next car boot I found an oval basket just right for it and attached it with (wait for it...) cable ties & an old belt!!! When we went for a cycle ride he put his jumper in my basket!!!

I wish I still had my Nan's pull along basket. Would be handy for carting the washing to the line!!

Thanks all....I'm glad Im not alone. Perhaps we should start a support group...or better still a revolution...far better then cotton bags!!
    :T:rotfl:
    Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it in for me!
    :hello:
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    ........It all started when I was young & my Nan had a wicker basket on wheels with a walking stick handle...../QUOTE]

Thanks for that memory, Infamy :).

My Nan had one of these too :grin: - bought from the local 'Blind School' workshops and it had a cover like the thing off the bottom of a birdcage :rotfl:. Bit of a beggar getting it on and off the bus - had to grab the 'walking stick' bit with both hands, bend your knees, big deep breath and 'hoik' it up the step on the bus. Fingers crossed all the way home that it didn't topple over in the cubbyhole under the stairs on the bus - those old-fashioned ones with the platform at the back ;).
  • NualaBuala
    NualaBuala Posts: 2,507 Forumite
    I love baskets too - I've always wanted a "proper" shopping basket but I don't know where to get one. And cloth bags are more practical for stuffing in pockets or my handbag I suppose. But baskets look so nice!
    Trying to spend less time on MSE so I can get more done ... it's not going great so far! :)
    Sorry if I don't reply to posts - I'm having MAJOR trouble keeping up these days!

Frugal Living Challenge 2011

Sealed Pot #671 :A DFW Nerd #1185
  • Bronnie
    Bronnie Posts: 4,165 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    merlin1 wrote: »
    funny this thread should come up, my friend and i were talking about our sons the other day, we have 1 each and hers has just started secondary school and he's doin what we called home economics when we were at school. mine starts secondary next sept.

now, me and my friend have been best friends since we both started secondary(20yrs ago), and i asked her if she sends her boy in with the basket of cooking ingredients on cooking day like we did??? we did laugh!

one of our fondest memories is packing our baskets with small amounts of ingredients in little bags/tubs, putting in our crisp white aprons, and covering it all with a red or blue gingham patterned t-towel tucking the edges in nice and tight :o

i too love baskets!

eta - i love the sound of a basket when you put things in it, you know that gentle 'creak'? must be something from childhood....

Hmm! Yes, I remember that too. And the nightmare of trying to carry it fully loaded with a pyrex dish of something sloppy, while standing up all the way home on the bus. Trying to manoeuvre it around other standing passengers as you rushed to get off at your stop. Snagging your new tights with it , if you were lucky enough to get a seat and had to put it on your knee and the broken bits gouging scratches on myself and others, as it started to fall to bits by the Upper Vth. Ah yes! I remember it well!
  • merlin1
    merlin1 Posts: 715 Forumite
    Bronnie wrote: »
    Hmm! Yes, I remember that too. And the nightmare of trying to carry it fully loaded with a pyrex dish of something sloppy, while standing up all the way home on the bus. Trying to manoeuvre it around other standing passengers as you rushed to get off at your stop. Snagging your new tights with it , if you were lucky enough to get a seat and had to put it on your knee and the broken bits gouging scratches on myself and others, as it started to fall to bits by the Upper Vth. Ah yes! I remember it well!

doh! i forgot about the bad bits!!!

:rotfl::rotfl: you've got it!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family