PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Stop me buying a Tefal VitaFruit jam maker!!

Options
I've recently joined Weight Watchers and have received a voucher for £30 off a Tefal VitaFruit jam maker http://linamariepony.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/licks.jpg however this still makes it £70 so I'm thinking of an alternative...

The blurb says you use 50% less sugar than shop bought jam which is tempting since less sugar = less Weight Watcher points, but it's a lot of money to fork out just for jam.

However I have a breadmaker, is it possible to make jam in this which would also use "50% less sugar than shop bought jam"? I've just been given a glut of apples from someone's garden and have a tonne of gooseberries in the freezer so I'm keen to give it a go, so a recipe would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks xxx

Comments

• MrsBartolozzi
    MrsBartolozzi Posts: 6,358 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 5 October 2009 at 5:57PM
    Options
    I found this thread,
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=416683

Not sure how much help it will be, but good luck with your losing weight!

I have just made ordinary jam, but with less sugar. It doesn't keep so long (I put in fridge just in case) but tastes fine. It wasn't 50% less though...

Not sure you've posted the right link though.

It's only a game
    ~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
  • sooz
    sooz Posts: 4,560 Forumite
    Options
    try this link http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=14120189

I don't know if you could use less sugar. Which shop bought jam are they comparing it to? :confused:

The jam maker is under £70 at amazon anyway, so the ww offer is not that great ;)

edit...why's your jam maker link got a pic of a woman with a whip??
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    i have one of these and it makes great jam...ive never tried the low sugar but it might be worth googling a low sugar/fruit spread recipe...i dont know if they exist...making it and then seeing what the result was...if the jam is ok u dont need to spend the £70 IYSWIM
    onwards and upwards
  • charliee_3
    charliee_3 Posts: 803 Forumite
    Options
    sooz wrote: »

:eek:
    :rotfl: it has as well.. how hilarious!!! wonder how the OP will explain this.. :o:o
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sooz wrote: »

Who cares? It was a better picture than I was expecting :T
  • morganlefay
    morganlefay Posts: 1,220 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
  • Cazzdevil
    Cazzdevil Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh my god I can't believe that picture managed to get posted by accident. Here's the (perfectly innocent) explanation.

My OH (male) has a rather large fondness for the actress/rock chick Juliette Lewis... Now I'm quite a quick typer which often leads to mistakes, so when I've gone to click Ctrl+C to copy I've obviously missed it and then I've Ctrl+V'd and pasted his previous copy & paste link, which just so happened to be a picture of Juliette Lewis performing with her band "Juliette and the Licks" which he'd posted on a Mountain Bike forum thread entitled "Fit Rock Chicks".

I nearly wet myself when I loaded up the photo and glared at him in utter astonishment! Rather more interesting than http://www.homeandcook.co.uk/product.aspx?pid=112# however which is what the link was MEANT to be...

Um anyway back on topic... Thanks for the tips folks, I'll have a look and see what I come up with.

:rotfl:
  • Pitlanepiglet
    Pitlanepiglet Posts: 2,129 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    :rotfl::rotfl::T
    Piglet

Decluttering - 127/366

Digital/emails/photo decluttering - 5432/2024
  • KathyJam
    KathyJam Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 18 November 2009 at 2:53PM
    Options
    To those who say just buy a large pan, well, I tried that and the constant stirring annoyed me and made me hot and sweaty! I bought the jam maker from Tefal (from the Lakeland site) a week ago and have not looked back! Certainly worth the money I feel, I have made marmalade, mango chutney, kiwi jam and lime jelly so far. Going to make tomato chutney tomorrow and at the weekend, am aiming for plum jam. Plus it automatically washes the sticky bowl out at the end, what more could you want!
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    KathyJam wrote: »
    well, the constant stirring annoyed mewhat more could you
    I can't think of one single jam, jelly or chutney recipe I have made that requires constant stirring ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure