PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

make jam in your breadmaker

Options

Comments

• Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Hi there! I'll add this to the existing Jam in a BM thread.

You might also find this thread useful - jam making.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • nickbrat
    Options
    Hi

I've just made my first batch of Strawberry jam using the bread maker. I chopped up the berry's and added the preserving sugar and lemon juice and off she went.

I noticed on completion however that the berries have floated to the top, when i poured the liquid into the jars then the same thing has happened.

Will the fruit sink to the bottom as it sets? Or have i messed up somewhere?

Maybe i should have mashed the fruit and not just chopped it.
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    nickbrat wrote: »
    I noticed on completion however that the berries have floated to the top, when i poured the liquid into the jars then the same thing has happened.

Will the fruit sink to the bottom as it sets? Or have i messed up somewhere?

I leave my jam to cool for 10-15mins before giving it a stir and potting it. This makes the jam slightly denser and the fruit more evenly distributed.

I'll add this to the current jam making in a BM thread ;)

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Mamae
    Mamae Posts: 107 Forumite
    Options
    Ok so for the first time ever I am going to attempt to make jam. Plan to make it in my breadmaker. The breadmaker recipe book just gives a very simple recipe of fruit,pectin and sugar. I have since found out that blackcurrants have a high level of natural pectin. So do I add the pectin or not??? :confused:
    Should I buy seperate pectin or the sugar with it in?
    Has anyone out there made blackcurrant jam in their breadmaker? I am sure one of you lovely people can help.
    Don't be a sheep, be a shepard!
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't usually buy pectin, I use the juice of a lemon instead.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I made blackcurrant jam this week (in a big pan) and did not use any pectin. It has set really firm because, as you say, blackcurrants are very high in pectin. Don't bother adding it;)
  • stephgifter
    Options
    I've always used pectin in my blackberry jam in the past, but I won't any more after reading this. I think you still need it for other jams though. One of my friends saves lemon pips and puts them in her jam, because apparently lemon pips are really high in pectin.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 15 August 2009 at 10:13AM
    Options
    I've always used pectin in my blackberry jam in the past, but I won't any more after reading this. I think you still need it for other jams though. One of my friends saves lemon pips and puts them in her jam, because apparently lemon pips are really high in pectin.
    We're talking about blackcurrants not blackberries. Blackberries have a lower pectin content, so carry on using pectin or jam sugar which has pectin added. Using a proportion of unripe fruit will increase the pectin content.

Useful list of pectin content of various fruits
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I used to have a jam method where the jam cooked slowly in the oven. This gave a chance for all the pectin to come out for lower pectin fruits, but it was on the old laptop that died :(.

Common ways to up the pectin are lemon juice, apple or boiling up apple peelings and cores (can use the flesh for a pie or apple sauce) and using the liquid to make the jam.
    I fancy the apple core/peelings thing as it is so OS and MSE. Useing a waste product to produce something else nice.

ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• student_advisor
    Options
    I've made jam in my breadmaker before and found that it did not set well - but did make a good sloppy topping for yoghurt, ice cream and cereal so was not in any way wasted! I used jam sugar which has pectin in it.

I don't think it gets hot enough for long enough.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure