Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 24th Aug 09, 3:15 PM
    • 1,228Posts
    • 3,560Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    0 WOW
    Great 'Best Value Cabin Luggage' Hunt
    • 24th Aug 09, 3:15 PM
    0 WOW
    Great 'Best Value Cabin Luggage' Hunt 24th Aug 09 at 3:15 PM
    What’s this about?

Taking hand luggage only makes budget flying cheaper, as so far none charge for it. Though there is usually a 10Kg weight limit (see Budget Airline Fee-Fighting for the different allowances).

So we want to tap MoneySavers for tips on the cheapest, lightest cabin luggage available. Remember it will need to pass the size test at check-in; easyJet & Ryanair have allow a max of 55cm high, 40cm wide and 20cm deep.

This was inspired by a company called Flylite, which sent us one of its small-size cabin bags. Can you find one cheaper and lighter?

Big pockets help beat weight limits ...

Plus if you know of any cheap coats with big pockets, which you can stuff with extra weight, post 'em too. As an example, MoneySaver terry227 came up with the ingenious idea of wearing an engineers’ coat as they come with so many pockets (looks like these).

What to do

If you have tips on the perfect cabin luggage, then click reply and let other MoneySavers know. Please include how much it is, how much it weights and a link to the item if possible.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 01-09-2009 at 3:36 PM.
Page 1
    • Tojo Ralph
    • By Tojo Ralph 24th Aug 09, 10:41 PM
    • 7,841 Posts
    • 12,268 Thanks
    Tojo Ralph
    • 24th Aug 09, 10:41 PM
    • 24th Aug 09, 10:41 PM
    "Whilst his children may well have been dying of acute embarrassment, bob was fair chuffed with himself for stuffing his big hat with underwear and saving himself £7 in baggage fees"

The MSE Dictionary
    Loophole - A word used to entice people to read clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Rip Off - Clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Terms and Conditions - Otherwise known as a loophole or a rip off.
  • Incapuppy
    • 25th Aug 09, 8:35 AM
    • 25th Aug 09, 8:35 AM
    Hahahaha, my first laugh of the day - thanks Tojo!
  • Noggin the Nog
    • 25th Aug 09, 4:47 PM
    • 25th Aug 09, 4:47 PM
    I've found a couple of bags that are just within those dimensions, to make the most of your allowance. First, I found this bag (garish, touristy picture of Tower Bridge on it, so awful that surely no-one will try to steal it; H 45cm, W 40 cm, D 17cm) on Ebay for £2.50 incl p&p (can "buy it now" and more than 10 available so probably have loads) - looks very light but described as "heavy duty". Second, and a bit more substantial, Amazon have a rucksack (loads more comfortable to carry, H=46cm W=36cm D=14cm, 520g) for £14.15 incl. p&p.

I'm all in favour of hand luggage only - no hanging about in queues, etc. - also, I don't care what I look like on holiday so am happy not carrying loads of stuff to get dressed up in!
    Last edited by Former MSE Lawrence; 28-08-2009 at 11:29 AM.
  • hbc1981
    • 25th Aug 09, 11:41 PM
    • 25th Aug 09, 11:41 PM
    I think there is something key to note here, and that's the fact that you are still only allowed to take liquids in containers 100ml or smaller in clear containers into the cabin at the moment.

As a result, if you want to take any decent sized toiletries etc on holiday with you, it's probably worth paying the cost for one bag of hold baggage.

For most people and especially a whole family, the cost of one piece of hold baggage will work out cheaper than buying the toiletries at the destination.
    • Marg
    • By Marg 26th Aug 09, 12:07 AM
    • 2,174 Posts
    • 25,241 Thanks
    Marg
    • 26th Aug 09, 12:07 AM
    • 26th Aug 09, 12:07 AM
    Good idea to research this issue for anyone wanting light hand luggage.
  • claracluck2
    • 26th Aug 09, 7:45 AM
    Best value cabin luggage
    • 26th Aug 09, 7:45 AM
    "I think there is something key to note here, and that's the fact that you are still only allowed to take liquids in containers 100ml or smaller in clear containers into the cabin at the moment.

As a result, if you want to take any decent sized toiletries etc on holiday with you, it's probably worth paying the cost for one bag of hold baggage.

For most people and especially a whole family, the cost of one piece of hold baggage will work out cheaper than buying the toiletries at the destination" from hbc1981

Why not buy all full sized toiletries when you have gone through into departures!!!!!
    • jujugaboo
    • By jujugaboo 26th Aug 09, 8:46 AM
    • 4,191 Posts
    • 419,128 Thanks
    jujugaboo
    • 26th Aug 09, 8:46 AM
    • 26th Aug 09, 8:46 AM
    I have got a small hand luggage case which I have taken on Easyjet and Ryanair flights with no problems but on a recent trip flying with Flybe my case and my friends cases did not fit in the overhead lockers - they are so small. We had to sit with our luggage under the seat in front and it was a bit of a squash. Be warned, if you can take a small holdall that might be better.

Also remember it is only one clear plastic bag your allowed to take with your liquids under 100ml - I had three and they were not happy!
  • Incapuppy
    • 26th Aug 09, 8:59 AM
    • 26th Aug 09, 8:59 AM

Why not buy all full sized toiletries when you have gone through into departures!!!!!
    Originally posted by claracluck2
    Ok, as long as it is noted that some airlines require any purchases that are made airside to be placed inside the existing one piece of hand baggage allowed.
  • Incapuppy
    Also remember it is only one clear plastic bag your allowed to take with your liquids under 100ml - I had three and they were not happy!
    Originally posted by jujugaboo
    I'm fairly sure that the correct information regarding the carrying of liquids is readily available on all airline/airport websites.
    • J20BABY
    • By J20BABY 26th Aug 09, 9:38 AM
    • 1,982 Posts
    • 2,658 Thanks
    J20BABY
    I got a pink one from B&M that is well within the dimensions for £9.99 reduced from£12.99, they had other colours too, its an expandable one also, but can't be expanded and still within the dimensions allowed.
    • Chyna-s
    • By Chyna-s 26th Aug 09, 9:39 AM
    • 2,685 Posts
    • 18,686 Thanks
    Chyna-s
    This is no good as you still have to bring it back through security on your return.
    If a competition does not open please bookmark to try again later or open in another OS - please do not bump threads unnecessarily just to say this. Thanks
  • jezza2412
    We're supposed to be MoneySavers here! We don't want to buy expensive full-sized toiletries airside and then have to throw them away, still half full, for the return journey! (Well I don't anyway)...
  • Gambit
    We're supposed to be MoneySavers here! We don't want to buy expensive full-sized toiletries airside and then have to throw them away, still half full, for the return journey! (Well I don't anyway)...
    Originally posted by jezza2412
    What I do is buy the 50 or 100ml containers you can get from boots and fill them with shampoo, shower gel...etc.. Means you only take what you need thus reducing the amount of weight too! Even if you need to take different things, I'm sure you can fit them into the litre bag given to you for your liquids
    Current Debt Owed To Family: £12,575 £9,000
    Estimated Debt Free... Dec 2012 Aug 2012

Christmas 2010 Sealed Pot Challenge #477

• woodkit
    Just got some cracking cabin luggage from TJ HUghes. reduced to £20 from £50 rrp. Case weighs less than 2kg and measurements are 49 x 34 x 18 cm, apparently the worlds lightest case and it definately feels it compared to my hard case
    link below, currently showing out of stock but loads available instore.

Sorry unable to add link as new poster so look on TJ HUghes wensite for suitcase and look for the 19cm case in the SUB 0 - G collection, available in blue, black or red.
  • jonnixon
    I bought a small suitcase, that fits the measurements, from Pricebusters for £9.99 excellent value
    • x.sophie.x
    • By x.sophie.x 26th Aug 09, 10:40 AM
    • 269 Posts
    • 249 Thanks
    x.sophie.x
    Go to Debenhams!
    Debenhams outlet has plently of luggage which has been reduced. The two bags below are from Tripp and have been reduced from £60 to £20.

http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category_10001_10001_59745_-1

Dont forget Quidco and discount codes.....

Last edited by Former MSE Lawrence; 28-08-2009 at 11:30 AM.
    • Eleanory
    • By Eleanory 26th Aug 09, 10:45 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    Eleanory
    I've just bought two cabim suitcases from Debenhams online, reduced from £60 to £20, with a voucher for a further 10% off. With p & p the cost of both came to £40.50. Tripp, with handle and wheels. I haven't flown yet but will let you know. I plan to fly to Belfast International at the end of September with bmibaby. Only going for three days so won't need to pack much. I saw the offer on www.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Eleanory
    • By Eleanory 26th Aug 09, 10:46 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    Eleanory
    I don't understand why my link has been censored!
  • irish_eyes
    I've been using the Tripp suitcase shown above for travelling for about a year now as my hand luggage- great case and very robust and sturdy
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,579Posts Today

9,939Users online

Martin's Twitter