EHIC Plus?

Options
having had back surgery in 2004 and because i weigh 20 stone and take more than 4 opiate a day i am finding travel insurance very hard to get. i have gone through all the usual ones who specalise in pre-existing illnesses and either the cost is ridiculous or they wont touch me with 40 ft pole. i was advised that asking for cover to include worldwide as i go on jaunts with air steward friend was making quote very expensive and as i am only going to spain in forseeable future to just get cover for europe and worry about worldwide at another point. i have noticed on here the service for EHIC Plus which offers me and 18 yr old son annual multi trip to europe for £49.99 which is very attractive proposition but wanted to check out if anyone on here has had any experience with them good or bad?

Comments

• Incapuppy
    Incapuppy Posts: 5,713 Forumite
    Options
    So I'm assuming this is for cover EXCLUDING your PEMC's?

Many companies will probably quite happily cover you on that basis but I think you would be foolish to do so, for reasons already given by others on your previous thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=22789167&highlight=#post22789167
  • Incapuppy
    Options
    Try travelinsuranceweb - they do the medical screening online and I have just purchased 17 days worldwide cover (exc USA) for my husband annd I for around £80 and we have 5 pemc's (two quite serious) between us.
  • homealone_2
    homealone_2 Posts: 2,004 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thanks incapuppy no joy, remebered i tried them yesterday for a multi trip worldwide and got a flat no, and remembered then someone saying to try just a single for this trip to spain so just tried and still flat no!!! getting desperate as 16th getting nearer. i had thought EHIC plus looked ok but became worried when reading op have just done another quote with them and besides having to pay the first £150 of any cancellation or curtailment (would not claim for this anyway as flights only cost £180) they did full screening (longest i have ever seen) and gave me cover for existing illness and it also covers all the usual things like lost luggage, repatriation etc etc as shown below. hth someone else with similar problem

https://www.ehicplus.com/assets/EHICPlus_Policy_Wording.pdf
  • Incapuppy
    Options
    So you've got cover for all your pemc's? Thats great news - I know from experience that it can be a nuisance to have to search high and low but I'm glad you found something!
  • homealone_2
    Options
    yes am pleased too, just noticed forgot to put premium. mine was annual so cost £51 which i think is a great bargain considering i was quoted £677 by one company!!!
  • Incapuppy
    Options
    Fantastic news! I know when I tried for cover last year (not helped at all by the fact that I was only a few weeks out of a week in hospital) the quotes that I got (for those that would cover me) had a price variation of £800! :eek:
  • homealone_2
    Options
    me too, am only hoping now that its not too good to be true. have read all terms and conditions whivh am guilty of not doing always and everything looks ok, am hoping someone does not pop up in the morning having noticed something major that i have overlooked
  • luci
    luci Posts: 5,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Any medical treatment would be in the equivalent of an NHS hospital, but apart from that you're good to go.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If your taking out the EHIC Plus policy please take the time to read their policy very carefully as its not quite like a normal policy.

It relies on you getting the free treatment provided by the EHIC card so it is a condition of the policy you have the EHIC card with you where ever it is reasonable to carry it. Its also a condition of the policy that where ever reasonably possible you go to a non private hospital. Be aware that in some countries the taxi drivers / ambulances will take you to private hospitals unless you specifically request a non private hospital.
  • homealone_2
    Options
    dacouch wrote: »
    If your taking out the EHIC Plus policy please take the time to read their policy very carefully as its not quite like a normal policy.

It relies on you getting the free treatment provided by the EHIC card so it is a condition of the policy you have the EHIC card with you where ever it is reasonable to carry it. Its also a condition of the policy that where ever reasonably possible you go to a non private hospital. Be aware that in some countries the taxi drivers / ambulances will take you to private hospitals unless you specifically request a non private hospital.

thanks for pointing that out and for a change i had made note of these points already but thanks hoping nothing else major left off
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure