Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sillysi
    • By sillysi 31st Mar 06, 2:01 PM
    • 116Posts
    • 124Thanks
    sillysi
    will a leather sofa be ok in a conservatory ?
    • 31st Mar 06, 2:01 PM
    will a leather sofa be ok in a conservatory ? 31st Mar 06 at 2:01 PM
    We have recently had our conservatory finished and are now going through the dilema of trying to furnish it.We want a corner sofa and originally decided to go with a fabric sofa but the wife has now decided she wants leather instead. Will it be ok considering the way temperatures change in conservatories ?.It is south facing and also has blinds in it............thanks in advance.
Page 1
  • Ditto
    • 31st Mar 06, 3:17 PM
    • 31st Mar 06, 3:17 PM
    Would'nt it crack with the intense heat in the summer?
    I think you can buy leather "moistiriser" (?) to keep it supple and crack free.

See if the wife has any spare Oil Of Olay
  • Anoushka
    • 31st Mar 06, 3:28 PM
    • 31st Mar 06, 3:28 PM
    I don't know about leather but fabric will definitely fade so I would strongly advise against it.
  • ritac1
    • 31st Mar 06, 3:37 PM
    Dont know, will it?
    • 31st Mar 06, 3:37 PM
    Having said about fading I would have agreed, but my car has leather seats (pale grey) and is outside all year round. No signs of fading yet. Maybe it depends on the leather, I dont know.

I was also thinking of a small leather suite for my new conservatory but the thought that it might be too cold to sit on in the winter was putting me off !!
  • andrewmoorcroft
    • 31st Mar 06, 3:53 PM
    • 31st Mar 06, 3:53 PM
    Leather car seats are specified from -40 to +50 degC ambient. The interior of a car gets far hotter than that in death valley under solar load.
    Every product like this should have a technical specification but you may have to ask the manufacturer for it.
  • moonrakerz
    • 31st Mar 06, 7:04 PM
    • 31st Mar 06, 7:04 PM
    Isn't that why cane furniture is very popular in conservatories ?
    • Mikeyorks
    • By Mikeyorks 31st Mar 06, 7:41 PM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,696 Thanks
    Mikeyorks
    • 31st Mar 06, 7:41 PM
    • 31st Mar 06, 7:41 PM
    We had a leather Chesterfield settee / Chesterfield chair and matching wing chair made, 20 years ago.

They have never been in a conservatory, but did spend most of their life in a lounge adjacent to a multi-fuel rated at 14kw - and which certainly achieved that, most of the winter. We downsized last year and the leather, still in impeccable condition, has gone to a niece.

The heat won't affect it, but I would certainly minimise the sun on it by using the blinds. A good leather balm should be used as a matter of course, rather than because it's in a warm place.

Having said all that - unless its a very formal looking conservatory - rattan / cane with good quality upholstery, will look better than leather IMHO !!
  • wayne
    • 1st Apr 06, 6:01 AM
    • 1st Apr 06, 6:01 AM
    dont know what will happen to the leather but if it,s not shaded,if its in sunlight under the glass it will burn the skin off your back when you sit on it.thats if you sit on it with no top on of course.
  • guitaruser
    • 1st Apr 06, 12:02 PM
    • 1st Apr 06, 12:02 PM
    I have leather in the conservatory, It hasnt faced up to a summer yet.

I think cane furniture is very uncomfortable, looks a bit naff and is overpriced.

I'd risk it, we bought a new suite for the living room and put the old (2 years!) leather suite into the conservatory. Its cream leather and lots of people have commented on the fact it looks better than cane.

I grant you it will get hot in the summer but thats what you have blinds for.

Like someone else said just treat it regularly, should be fine.
    • sillysi
    • By sillysi 1st Apr 06, 1:58 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    sillysi
    thanks for the replies.we did consider cane furniture but have not found any we like.
    What would be best to use to treat the leather ??
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 1st Apr 06, 3:09 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    What would be best to use to treat the leather ??
    by sillysi
    Hi sillysi,

These older threads may help:

Leather Sofa Care. and Leather 3 piece suite

Pink
  • hazeyj
    Hiya..or you could try solar window film.
    • shown73
    • By shown73 1st Apr 06, 11:28 PM
    • 1,247 Posts
    • 403 Thanks
    shown73
    The actual process is called "photolytic disassociation," if anyone is interested. It's actually very interesting, believe it or not. The same ultraviolet process that turns the thin skin on my bald head beetroot red in no time will, eventually, ruin your leather furniture. The term, "sun-bleached," has been around for a long time. Think about it. Spill bleach on something, what happens?
    The power of solar radiation is very much underestimated, but when all is said and done, it's what keeps us all alive, animals, plants, et al. Just don't monkey around with it....This all sounds very patronising, but it's not meant to be, it's just that the subject quite interests me. Yes, I know, I should get out more!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,891Posts Today

7,351Users online

Martin's Twitter