Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kittie
    • By kittie 10th Mar 09, 4:34 PM
    • 12,444Posts
    • 78,973Thanks
    kittie
    Is your tenant growing cannabis?
    • 10th Mar 09, 4:34 PM
    Is your tenant growing cannabis? 10th Mar 09 at 4:34 PM
    and wrecking your property

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7934312.stm
Page 1
    • m_13
    • By m_13 10th Mar 09, 5:23 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    m_13
    • 10th Mar 09, 5:23 PM
    • 10th Mar 09, 5:23 PM
    My sister's neighbours in Leicester decided to move and rented out their property. The tenants who moved in put up very clever window covers that were photographs that looked as though you were looking into a normal room from the outside. They then started a cannibis farm and bypassed the electricity meter.

They were caught - I think by the police using heat sensitive cameras to identify very hot houses - and the landlord quite shocked. The house was a complete wreck mainly due to the fact that it had been turned into a greenhouse.

I think regular inspections are the only to discover these but it's frightening.
  • Robert_Sterling
    • 10th Mar 09, 5:44 PM
    • 10th Mar 09, 5:44 PM
    If your tenants are growing cannabis would you grass them up.
    ...............................I have put my clock back....... Kcolc ym
  • poppysarah
    • 10th Mar 09, 6:35 PM
    • 10th Mar 09, 6:35 PM
    My sister's neighbours in Leicester decided to move and rented out their property. The tenants who moved in put up very clever window covers that were photographs that looked as though you were looking into a normal room from the outside.
    Originally posted by m_13
    Intrigued! I could do this and then the neighbours would think my house was tidy if they looked in
  • 1984ReturnsForReal
    • 10th Mar 09, 6:46 PM
    • 10th Mar 09, 6:46 PM
    They then started a cannibis farm and bypassed the electricity meter.

They were caught - I think by the police using heat sensitive cameras to identify very hot houses - and the landlord quite shocked. The house was a complete wreck mainly due to the fact that it had been turned into a greenhouse.

I think regular inspections are the only to discover these but it's frightening.

Lesson being:

"If you want to grow weed in your home (or someone elses) go for a home energy grant & make sure you have adequate insulation first"
  • Geenie
    • 10th Mar 09, 7:26 PM
    • 10th Mar 09, 7:26 PM
    Yep, recently evicted tenants were growing plants and were smoking their heads off, their young teenage children included. They could barely function.

"Life is difficult. Life is a series of problems. What makes life difficult is that the process of confronting and solving problems is a painful one." M Scott Peck. The Road Less Travelled.
  • TJ27
    • 10th Mar 09, 8:26 PM
    • 10th Mar 09, 8:26 PM
    About a year ago I surveyed a house for a landlord, who lived about 200 miles away. The house was in very good condition and well above the minimum standards required for renting. He seemed an excellent landlord and had a very good agent to sort things out locally.

Six months later I was due to visit again. I discovered that the place had been turned into a cannabis factory. The electricity meter had been bypassed but the electric company estimated the bill to be three grand. They wanted their money. "How on earth do they know how much juice has been used if the meter has been bypassed?" I asked. Apparently they can estimate it fairly accurately by the size and number of the plants.

Whereas landlords who live locally can keep an eye on their rental houses, distant ones can't. And I very much doubt that local agents can be bothered to be particularly vigilant.
  • Geenie
    • 10th Mar 09, 8:37 PM
    • 10th Mar 09, 8:37 PM
    I am advertising a property at the moment, and because of recent episodes in Devon and Cornwall I am trying to bear all of this in mind. The past tenants in all honesty only had one plant for their own use, but a factory would be a whole different kettle of fish!!

Any idea of the nationality of the tenants, as going on recent stories down here, there seems to be a running theme of Vietnamese being involved?

"Life is difficult. Life is a series of problems. What makes life difficult is that the process of confronting and solving problems is a painful one." M Scott Peck. The Road Less Travelled.
    • russ21282
    • By russ21282 10th Mar 09, 8:41 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    russ21282
    • 10th Mar 09, 8:41 PM
    • 10th Mar 09, 8:41 PM
    They were caught - I think by the police using heat sensitive cameras to identify very hot houses
    Apparently they don't do that. It would cost far too much to fly around cities using thermal imaging cameras to catch a few weed growers. They are usually caught by, bypassing the meter or stealing a neighbours electric or somebody reporting suspicious activity!
  • TJ27
    I've heard that thermal imaging cameras in helicopters is the way they do it. Certainly I regularly see a helicopter overhead. I guess it must be police by the way they hover about, not appearing to go anywhere. Whether they're checking for weed growers or searching for other miscreants I couldn't tell you but the eye in the sky is certainly there.
  • poppysarah
    They act on inteligence gathered from the public. We're always being asked to look out for them in our homewatch newsletter.
  • Geenie
    Blacked out windows seem to be the norm.

• 1984ReturnsForReal
    "How on earth do they know how much juice has been used if the meter has been bypassed?" I asked. Apparently they can estimate it fairly accurately by the size and number of the plants.

---

Yeah right!!

Like they experiemented themselves. lol

They have no idea how much electricity was used. NONE.

I would go to court any day of the week on that one!
    • sillyvixen
    • By sillyvixen 10th Mar 09, 9:53 PM
    • 3,229 Posts
    • 4,969 Thanks
    sillyvixen
    Blacked out windows seem to be the norm.
    Originally posted by Geenie
    not if its grown in the loft!!
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • Geenie
    not if its grown in the loft!!
    Originally posted by sillyvixen
    Heck, is no where sacred!! Well thankfully most of the lofts in our properties are covered in sh*te, due to bats being resident and sh*ting for England on top of the loft insulation. Then again, the manure will probably speed things up!!!

• listerofsmeg
    our neighbours (renting) had a cannabis farm going on. They got found out when it flooded, which flooded the house next door (the one I was in - flats) and my neighbour who lived downstairs rang the police to sort the flood out!
  • brummybloke

Any idea of the nationality of the tenants, as going on recent stories down here, there seems to be a running theme of Vietnamese being involved?
    Originally posted by Geenie

depends where i the UK, vietnamese are the most organised, renting out large houses and converting them into factories.
    normally they pay the 6 months up front in cash, and nowdays they pay someone to rent the house out instead of a vietnamese person which nowdays draws suspicion.

6 large rooms will normally generate 30,000 every 3 months, splitting the rooms into nurserys and growing rooms.

however due to the high profits, the houses get turned into booby traps, mains conected to windows, razors pushed into light switches so if a light is turned on it slices the hand open.

the rule of thumb would be to check on the house every 3 weeks

and make sure there is not all of a sudden 300 large plant opts, 600 small plant pots, 3 tonnes of high grade furtiliser, plant food, 150 UV lights, windows lined with foil, 50 large extractor fans and 100 large black buckets.
    what is the plural of moose?

slags
  • cit_k
    Apparently they don't do that. It would cost far too much to fly around cities using thermal imaging cameras to catch a few weed growers. They are usually caught by, bypassing the meter or stealing a neighbours electric or somebody reporting suspicious activity!
    Originally posted by russ21282
    If the helicopter is already in the sky, and has finnished a task (criminal apprehended or lost) then it would not cost a penny extra to switch the camera to thermal, and record the houses on the way back to base....

Whether or not that is legal, is a different matter...
  • cit_k
    "How on earth do they know how much juice has been used if the meter has been bypassed?" I asked. Apparently they can estimate it fairly accurately by the size and number of the plants.

---

Yeah right!!

Like they experiemented themselves. lol

They have no idea how much electricity was used. NONE.

I would go to court any day of the week on that one!
    Originally posted by 1984ReturnsForReal
    Surely they just take the wattage of the heating/lighting etc equipment, and calculate a simple sum based on how long it would have been switched on?
    • alcsl
    • By alcsl 7th Nov 09, 7:47 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 767 Thanks
    alcsl
    if you're worried and they deny it, surely you can contact the energy company and they can tell you if an ususually large amount of electricity hase been used? That may give the game away?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

409Posts Today

3,292Users online

Martin's Twitter