Telephone Interview - 1st/2nd Line Support

Options
Guys,

After successfully passing the first interview, I am now expecting to undergo a telephone interview exercise tomorrow.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help with regards to what questions i may/could get asked.

It might help to see the duties of the role. I suspect they will ask questions with relation to VPN connectivity problems.

Job Description

Working as part of a Support Team to provide desktop support to our Nottingham, London, Belfast Offices and remote customers.

Duties

- Provide 1st and 2nd line end user support
- Provide remote telephone user support
- Troubleshoot Workstation and Network Printer Issues
- Monitor tickets and resolve all Remote Access/VPN connectivity issues
- Monitor, update and resolve all Print Server issues
- Support for Microsoft Excel, Word, Access, PowerPoint, Project, and Outlook
- Support for Microsoft Windows 98/NT/200/XP operating systems

Please could you randomly ask me questions?

What would be better is if any of you guys (that are in the I.T industry) have a similar role play exercise to hand?

Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I work in IT myself, i'm a 'subject matter expert', so that sort of puts me at 3rd/4th line support, depending what customer it is. Here's one to get you started:

"Hi, i'm phoning from the office in London, i'm having problems getting my email. Do you know what the problem is?"

What's the first question you would ask them?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    That used to be my role before being promoted to Server Support Analyst ;)

Here's some random questions I can think of...

A user complains the AutoArchive feature is not archiving all emails as expected - why might this be?

A box pops up asking for a username/password when accessing any web page - why might this be?

Deleted mails are not sync’ing with the director’s blackberry correctly - why might this be?

After creating a new profile for a user they loose all their custom drive mappings. How can we find out their previous mappings using the registry?

How do I change the way Cisco vpn clients starts on logon?

To be honest they could ask you anything - really is pot luck. They'll also be assessing your telephone manner as let's face it, you're providing telephone support!
  • sho_me_da_money
    Options
    Ok ive not searched the internet but here are a line of questions i would ask:

1. Is this issue affecting you or the more people?
    2. When did you notice this problem?
    3. Can you send emails or are you having both sending and receiving probs?
    4. Can you press F9 and tell me if you see any errors?
    5. I will double check your email account settings on the computer with you to confirm they are correct?
    6. I would then check AD and see if the account has been locked out?
  • sho_me_da_money
    Options
    That used to be my role before being promoted to Server Support Analyst ;)

Here's some random questions I can think of...

A user complains the AutoArchive feature is not archiving all emails as expected - why might this be?

A box pops up asking for a username/password when accessing any web page - why might this be?

Deleted mails are not sync’ing with the director’s blackberry correctly - why might this be?

After creating a new profile for a user they loose all their custom drive mappings. How can we find out their previous mappings using the registry?

How do I change the way Cisco vpn clients starts on logon?

To be honest they could ask you anything - really is pot luck. They'll also be assessing your telephone manner as let's face it, you're providing telephone support!

1. Autoarchiving feature may be disabled? Possible problem with registry?
    2. Username and Password indicates the browser may be trying to access a the internet using the wrong network connection or a home internet dial up connection?
    3. Maybe the blackberry has a size limit to how much it can handle?
    4. No idea
    5. Go to startup and see if its listed there or go to MSCONFIG and disable?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    1. Autoarchiving feature may be disabled? Possible problem with registry?

It may indeed by disabled. I was looking for you to realise Outlook archives mail by the modified date not the received date. Outlook tracks three date fields for each message to determine its age; the Sent date, the Received date and the Modified date. Whichever of these fields is most recent will be used as the official message date. Forwarding, replying to, editing, saving, moving or copying a message will change its Modified date and therefore have it treated as a more recent message.

To confirm that the modified dates are the problem when archive fails, add the Modified Date field to your view, Right click on the field names in the folder and choose Field Chooser. Select Date/Time fields from the dropdown and drag Modified to the row of field names. If you're using Outlook 2003 with the default multiple row list view, choose Custom and add Modified field from the Fields button.

2. Username and Password indicates the browser may be trying to access a the internet using the wrong network connection or a home internet dial up connection?

Sure okay. I was looking at it from a more corporate point of view with them being domain users logged in via VPN. And so, I'd initially try resetting their password in AD, clearing saved passwords in IE, ensuring the users account is unlocked, finally try logging the user off then on. If this hasn’t fixed it then it looks like somewhere in the profile the old credentials have become ‘stuck’. A new local or roaming profile should stop the box from appearing.
    3. Maybe the blackberry has a size limit to how much it can handle?
    Never head of this... I was looking for deleted emails are being deleted to the PA’s deleted items folder and not the directors.

There are three solutions to this;

1) Drag and drop the inbox items on the Directors deleted mail into the Directors Deleted Items folder.
    2) Make a new profile as the director and add the PA in as a secondary mailbox (when deleting mails this will now place it in the correct folder,
    3) Or finally:

Follow the instructions to alter the registry as shown here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/202517
    4. No idea

I was looking for

1) Open regedit and make sure the HKEY_USERS folder is highlighted.
    2) Click File -> Load Hive
    3) Browse to users old profile folder which you renamed earlier e.g. <LADid.>old
    4) Open the NTUSER.DAT file. Regedit will ask you to give it a name, just enter “test” or “banana”. “banana” is preferable if speaking to a products user.
    5) You will now see a folder tree in the regedit window with the name you just chose. Expand it and then expand the “Network” folder.
    6) There will be a subfolder for each drive mapping the user had
    5. Go to startup and see if its listed there or go to MSCONFIG and disable.
    I was looking for opening the VPN client and setting it within here.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Another main thing they'll be looking for is even if you don't know the answer then how do you go about determining what it may be. A clear, logical set of questions narrowing down whatever the issue may be is what they want.
  • sho_me_da_money
    Options
    Can i have some more please David?

Thanks
  • Mr_Mister
    Options
    I work as a 1st/2nd line support in London and occasionally help out in recruiting new temps.

During the telephone interview, we normally check is the candidate's ability to analyse and assess situations. As the role is primarily telephone based, the candidate must be able to speak clearly, be confident and show good technical knowledge. You will also need to show the ability to understand and resolve issues quickly.

It will be hard to predict what type of questions you will be asked but make sure you brush up on your customer services skills.

An example technical question could be something general like:

Q: A user calls to complain that his PC is running very slow. How would you troubleshoot this?

A: I would start by asking questions such as does it only run slow when using certain applications? If its slow in general, remotely connect to the PC and check which processes are taking up the CPU.

Basically theres lots of steps you can take but they may be looking how you would handle an issue such as this. They would not want someone who would re-image a PC straight away without the basic troubleshooting!

Best of luck !
  • sho_me_da_money
    Options
    Mr_Mister wrote: »
    I work as a 1st/2nd line support in London and occasionally help out in recruiting new temps.

During the telephone interview, we normally check is the candidate's ability to analyse and assess situations. As the role is primarily telephone based, the candidate must be able to speak clearly, be confident and show good technical knowledge. You will also need to show the ability to understand and resolve issues quickly.

It will be hard to predict what type of questions you will be asked but make sure you brush up on your customer services skills.

An example technical question could be something general like:

Q: A user calls to complain that his PC is running very slow. How would you troubleshoot this?

A: I would start by asking questions such as does it only run slow when using certain applications? If its slow in general, remotely connect to the PC and check which processes are taking up the CPU.

Basically theres lots of steps you can take but they may be looking how you would handle an issue such as this. They would not want someone who would re-image a PC straight away without the basic troubleshooting!

Best of luck !

Cheers mate.

As i say, if theres anyone in the industry that have a set role play of questions, please bring them on.

I will do my best to tackle the problem.
  • free4440273
    free4440273 Posts: 38,438 Forumite
    Options
    RTFM :o:o
    BLOODBATH IN THE EVENING THEN? :shocked: OR PERHAPS THE AFTERNOON? OR THE MORNING? OH, FORGET THIS MALARKEY!

THE KILLERS :cool:

THE PUNISHER :dance: MATURE CHEDDAR ADDICT:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family