PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Homemade wine

Options

Comments

• hot.chick
    hot.chick Posts: 1,070 Forumite
    Options
    Get a glass, open and pour... sorry couldn't resist!

U can get simple kits from a wine making shop - or my mum used to have a load of big demi johns bubbling away in airing cupboards.... she used a book from the library I think.

but maybe u could find a website that would help?
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Most wines are made using the same 'method'...if you have never made wine before and want it for Christmas I would recommend you use a kit, as in my experience, wines made from scratch take longer to ferment and mature than kit wines.

I have a few recipes, if you want. Pm me and I will send them to you

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • craftynutters
    Options
    realy want to make from scratch dont want to buy kit as trying to save money by using cheap fruit and veg:j
  • shopaholictiedtheknot
    Options
    meanmarie wrote: »
    Most wines are made using the same 'method'...if you have never made wine before and want it for Christmas I would recommend you use a kit, as in my experience, wines made from scratch take longer to ferment and mature than kit wines.

I have a few recipes, if you want. Pm me and I will send them to you

Marie

I want to start making my own too, just bought a house and have a lovely big cellar to fill!! Could I please have a couple of recipes too? :D
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
  • sinizterguy
    sinizterguy Posts: 1,178 Forumite
    Options
    realy want to make from scratch dont want to buy kit as trying to save money by using cheap fruit and veg:j

You make wine from vegetables?:eek:
  • jamanda
    jamanda Posts: 968 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I used to make wine from anything available,e.g. dandelion, elderberries, blackberries, even pea pod but that was evil. For the cost of a bag of sugar and a packet of yeast you can get a demijohn full of wine. Don't have recipes gave all books away to someone interested, but you'll find easy ones on the "good life" type sites.

Good luck
  • shopaholictiedtheknot
    Options
    You make wine from vegetables?:eek:

http://www.harvington.org.uk/hic/winerecipes.html

there are some recipes on here!!
  • shopaholictiedtheknot
    Options
    Hi I have been given some wine making equipment off a fellow freecycler and was wondering if anybody has any simple recipes to start me off. It's either make my own or dont have any at christmas:beer:

http://www.harvington.org.uk/hic/winerecipes.html

This looks a good website, I am going to try the rice and raisin one - yum!
  • Austin_Allegro
    Options
    My basic wine recipe is 'prison wine', as follows:

Get two litres of any kind of liquid you like - fruit juice works well, esp boiled off juices from wild fruits, or you could use herbal teabags, ordinary teabags etc.

Pour into gallon jar.

Dissolve 800g of sugar in boiling water. Add to mixture.
    Top up with cold water to 4.5 litres.
    Allow to cool.
    Add 1 packet of yeast from supermarket.
    Put airlock or balloon on jar.
    After about three weeks fermentation stops. Add campden tablet to kill yeast.
    Bottle.

Makes about 5-6 bottles ready to drink pretty much straightaway, though it improves with laying down.
    'Never keep up with Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper.' Quentin Crisp
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure