EEC Home Security

Options
Has anyone come across EEC home security - a no showroom outfit based in southport who do telephone calling to set up inspections where they use pressure sales techniques to sell very high price solutions for home security and electrical work. I have heard anecdotes that the elderly are frequently called by this firm.

Comments

• dangeroussports
    Options
    Ive not heard a whisper but then again I live in one of the shires (and no im not a hobbit).
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    There have been features on such programmes as Watchdog about similar home-security companies that target the elderly. It seems that EEC were featured on the programme Old Dog New Tricks in 2006. The programme revealed that the company is owned by a man who had run similar companies in the past with the same high-pressure and over-pricing methods.

EEC complained to Ofcom about this programmes but, apart from one small aspect, Ofcom found in favour of the BBC.

You can read the full judgement here, starting on page 14 of this PDF document:-

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv/obb/prog_cb/obb93/issue93.pdf
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • David_D_S
    Options
    this is really useful.. my mother's MP has quite a doossier of complaints and he will be interested in this history. Many thanks.
  • brownrice
    Options
    I've just found this forum by a Google search. Earlier tonight, my elderly mother-in-law telephoned in a bit of an agitated state. She had been phoned by someone from a company called EEC and it sounded very suspicious. They had tried to put a lot of pressure on her to make a quick appointment, had been quite rude when she expressed reservations, had been a bit abusive about her family, offered to look over the whole house while she stayed downstairs, offered a free paper shredder to shred her bank statements... all in all a dubious sounding outfit, who seem to be operating a business on dodgy principles engendering fear in vulnerable people. They seemed to have an unhealthy interest in confirming that the prospective customer was in fact living alone. I'm sure its the same company, based in Southport.
  • miggy
    miggy Posts: 4,328 Forumite
    Options
    My elderly mother is in the process of buying a security system off them. I couldn't believe how much it cost but she says she has dealt with the company in the past and been very happy with them.
    Miggy

MEMBER OF MIKE'S MOB!
    Every Penny a Prisoner

This article is about coffeehouse bartenders. For lawyers, see Barrister. (Wikipedia)
  • Teacher2301
    Options
    Shop them to Rogue Traders on the BBC - I'm sute Matt would love to snare them for all of us to view and smirk!
    'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' : Member number 632
    Nerds rule! :cool:
  • resident_ed
    Options
    hi, i used to work for the company selling security in peoples homes.. they initially trained us as security advisors and not sales people... basically they wanted us to trick people, they do a 2 hour survey of the property where they dnt tlk about selling things.. show someone how they could be burgled and tell them what the consequences were to basically scare someone...

at first i really enjoyed the job when i first started it was relaxed, then came the rediculous targets i had to hit..
    the company charges minimum of £2499 for a system they only pay £157 for, that is just wrong in my eyes.. they dont only just rip customers off, mainly elderly people, but they rip there staff off, they put the prices up by over £1000 and halfed the commision which made it harder to sell to people, im not the sort of person that likes to rip people off.

they work there staff to death to, i was up and out the house before 7am and rarley home before 9pm and driving around 2000 miles a week, they even made us go out in the bad weather we had a few weeks ago when it said on the news only to go out if absoulutely nessesary...
    all of these bad things about the company added up to force me to quit.

on monday night someone bombed there head office and shot at the owners house..

if you are thinking of dealing with this company i strongly advise that you dont. they will rip you off, and 120 days later you will have another visit to try and get even more money out of you.

THIS COMPANY SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN!!!!!
  • judge16
    Options
    Hi, I worked for EEC for 2 years and only left because of family issues. My experience was very positive. I recieved 4 weeks initial training. During this training we were filmed in a purpose built studio flat(of which they had three) I was not allowed out selling until I could show that my presentation stuck to their strickt code of conduct.

The customer could not complete an order with me without speaking to someone in customer services at the point of sale. This was to ensure that the Customer had been offered the opertunity to have someone present with them during my visit, to ensure they they had been informed of their 14 day cancellation rights and that they were happy to proceed with the order.

We were never allowed to take more than a 30% deposit with the balance only being paid once the customer was happy with the installation.

I also have a folder with letters that I recieved regularly from my customers saying how happy they were with the service they had recieved.

I was never told to trick anybody in fact I was repeatedly warned that I must be factually correct or I would be breaking the law any mistake I made in training was very quickly pointed out to me to ensure I was saying the right things.

This was my experience and I would have no concerns going back if my situation changes.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How unusual...a newbie with no previous posts that makes a post but posting on an old post in support of a company that has come in for flack on MSE.

Odd that, obviously nothing to do with the MSE posts coming up on Google http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=eec+%2B+security&btnG=Search&meta= me thinks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure