Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • lush walrus
    • By lush walrus 13th Oct 05, 4:51 PM
    • 1,931 Posts
    • 1,605 Thanks
    lush walrus
    • 13th Oct 05, 4:51 PM
    • 13th Oct 05, 4:51 PM
    Its easy to see how someone would use a b & w copy of your passport, all of the information they need to forge a brand new one is on there, your passport no, your name, your everything is on that one last sheet.

Add a new photo to a home made passport and bingo!

Not always do those who steel passports want the person who they have stollen it from to know that it is missing, the perfect situaiton for them is for you not to notice and then not to cancel it. So if a thief can get hold of your details, copy it and put the original back all the better.

Stapples can not be seen to be part of anything like that, nor can anyone who knows the risks of copied passports. If you do it its a whole different thing.
    Last edited by lush walrus; 13-10-2005 at 4:55 PM.
    • Bossyboots
    • By Bossyboots 13th Oct 05, 5:05 PM
    • 6,554 Posts
    • 3,311 Thanks
    Bossyboots
    • 13th Oct 05, 5:05 PM
    • 13th Oct 05, 5:05 PM
    We photocopy them at work, but only if the holder brings them in person. Some of our local banks are asking people opening new accounts to bring in certified photocopies of their passports for their files.
  • bigman3
    • 13th Oct 05, 6:05 PM
    • 13th Oct 05, 6:05 PM
    Its easy to see how someone would use a b & w copy of your passport, all of the information they need to forge a brand new one is on there, your passport no, your name, your everything is on that one last sheet.

Add a new photo to a home made passport and bingo!

Not always do those who steel passports want the person who they have stollen it from to know that it is missing, the perfect situaiton for them is for you not to notice and then not to cancel it. So if a thief can get hold of your details, copy it and put the original back all the better.

Stapples can not be seen to be part of anything like that, nor can anyone who knows the risks of copied passports. If you do it its a whole different thing.
    by lush walrus
    Why would someone need a black and white photocopy to forge a brand new passport. Could they not get the details they need off the original ? :confused:
    • santana-mx3
    • By santana-mx3 13th Oct 05, 6:15 PM
    • 407 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    santana-mx3
    • 13th Oct 05, 6:15 PM
    • 13th Oct 05, 6:15 PM
    by lush walrus
    That's true.

by lush walrus
    But when the passport holder takes the passport in to Staples him/herself, why would this be a problem? Or do you mean Staples don't want to risk getting the blame at a later date if a member of their staff was found to be involved in passport forgery or didn't check that the passport really belonged to the person who brought it in?
    • santana-mx3
    • By santana-mx3 13th Oct 05, 6:19 PM
    • 407 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    santana-mx3
    • 13th Oct 05, 6:19 PM
    • 13th Oct 05, 6:19 PM
    I went into Staples today to photocopy a passport. I always do this before travelling.
    by bigman3
    When reading this initially, I assumed it was your passport. On reading it again, I notice you mention "a", rather than "my" though you could still be referring to your own.

So was it your own passport (as I originally assumed) that you had problems with or, for example, your partner's?

Assuming it was your own, I do find it very surprising that they don't allow you to copy it.
    • alanrowell
    • By alanrowell 13th Oct 05, 6:24 PM
    • 5,299 Posts
    • 2,036 Thanks
    alanrowell
    • 13th Oct 05, 6:24 PM
    • 13th Oct 05, 6:24 PM
    Just scan it into a computer & print it out. It's alwasy useful to have a few copies so that you don't have to deposit your passport with people when they need your details

I suspect that Staples can't photocopy passports by law - probably something to do with copyright.
    • barbie babe
    • By barbie babe 13th Oct 05, 6:26 PM
    • 659 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    barbie babe
    • 13th Oct 05, 6:26 PM
    • 13th Oct 05, 6:26 PM
    i copyed my son in my local spar shop .
  • rotate
    • 13th Oct 05, 7:33 PM
    • 13th Oct 05, 7:33 PM
    I tried to copy my son but he kept wriggling and I could not get the lid shut.
  • FTD
    I tried to copy my son but he kept wriggling and I could not get the lid shut.
    by rotate
    Maybe barbie meant spar now do a cloning service next to the bean shelf!

FTD
    • spottydog
    • By spottydog 14th Oct 05, 12:15 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    spottydog
    Recently had to get a number of copies of my passport certified and didn't have any problems either getting them copied or getting them certified by a solicitor.

I always keep a scan of our passports password protected in a webmail account just in case they get stolen abroad and I have to go to the embassy plus a photocopy of them as proof when abroad (so I don't have to carry around my original and worry about it being nicked).
    • Becles
    • By Becles 14th Oct 05, 4:00 PM
    • 12,895 Posts
    • 26,383 Thanks
    Becles
    I got my scanned in Tescos with no problem. I needed to post a copy to a company I work for. Something to do with checking for illegal immigrant employees.
    Here I go again on my own....
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 14th Oct 05, 10:18 PM
    • 26,356 Posts
    • 13,523 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    The reason that some places won't copy official documents such as passports and birth and death certificates and copies of grant of probate etc is that copyright belongs to the Crown ie the state. You are allowed to have them copied for your own personal use in such circumstances to confirm id to a bank etc but the bank is not allowed to make further copies for you to take away etc.
    Never heard of the state prosecuting anyone for this but someone somewhere will probably be able to dispute this.
    Eric
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Iona_Penny
    • By Iona_Penny 16th Oct 05, 9:55 AM
    • 690 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    Iona_Penny
    We always take copies of our passport on holiday so that if they get lost/stolen at least you have the info to tell the police and report to British consul to arrange getting home.

P.S. We keep them separate form the originals!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

649Posts Today

6,848Users online

Martin's Twitter