E.On threatening Daughter with debt collectors while ombudsman decides

Options
mark55man
mark55man Posts: 7,926 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
edited 16 July 2018 at 9:57PM in Energy
My DD has a case with the ombudsman for systematic failings by E.On who have called/written over 30 times in a 3 months period, bullying and harassing her

is it allowed for them to continue to pursue the bill and threaten debt collectors while the case is still with the ombudsman

my DD has been available and helpful but essentially all calls/emails have been "have you given up yet, and accepted our wisdom" without ever addressing the dispute

Absolutely dreadful - really really very poor - they would be better off nationalised
I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
Smiling and waving and looking so fine

Comments

• worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why would you be threatened over a direct debit? Then I read the post. Not the greatest of titles.
  • mark55man
    Options
    Why would you be threatened over a direct debit? Then I read the post. Not the greatest of titles.
    thanks Jim - fixed it - changed dd in title to Daughter
  • welshmoneylover
    Options
    mark88man wrote: »
    My DD has a case with the ombudsman for systematic failings by E.On who have called/written over 30 times in a 3 months period, bullying and harassing her

is it allowed for them to continue to pursue the bill and threaten debt collectors while the case is still with the ombudsman

my DD has been available and helpful but essentially all calls/emails have been "have you given up yet, and accepted our wisdom" without ever addressing the dispute

Absolutely dreadful - really really very poor - they would be better off nationalised
    Is she making payments ?
    Be happy, it's the greatest wealth :)
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Options
    Should E.on be chasing for payment when the amount is in dispute and the Ombudsman is considering the case ?
    The answer is NO
  • E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena
    E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena Posts: 2,359 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 July 2018 at 12:21PM
    Options
    Morning mark88man,

When a complaint is raised on an account, the debt collection letters and follow up do continue.

However, as soon as the Ombudsman contacts us, debt follow up will be suspended until they complete their investigation.

To add to this though, if the account has been passed to a third party, we would [FONT=&quot]need to request a manual hold on follow up until the Ombudsman have resolved the complaint.[/FONT]

We do have an Ombudsman [FONT=&quot]liaison[/FONT] team here and it might be worth asking if we have received the casefile.

Thank you

Helena
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • mark55man
    Options
    3 weeks on and the threatening letters continue.

you should be ashamed of yourselves

how long does it take you recognise that a case is with the ombudsman
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Have you had confirmation that the ombudsman has contacted Eon?
  • E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena
    E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena Posts: 2,359 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks Cardew,

Hi mark88man, as I say above, please do speak to the Ombudsman team, as we need to [FONT=&quot]manually[/FONT] stop the follow up with these sorts of accounts.

Thanks.

Helena
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Skools_Out
    Options
    mark88man wrote: »

Threats, bullying or harassment via telephone, email, etc sounds like a breach of the Malicious Communications Act 1988.

I suggest you try to obtain a recording of such as evidence, and then report the matter to the police.

Note that where a threat is made on reasonable grounds to reinforce a demand and that use of the threat was a proper means of reinforcing that demand, that itself would not constitute an offence, however dreadful you may think it is.
  • Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    I suppose that OP Daughter, or OP on her behalf has yet to contact the supplier over this? Or possibly the ombudsman.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure