Switching 30 days/14days/end of contract

Options
My contract with TalkTalk finishes on the 15th August, I gave 30 days notice yesterday to Talk Talk that I would be leaving. When is the right time to sign up to a new contract with a new provider? For example the Post Office? I obviously don't want to leave before my contract ends but there doesn't seem to be an option to set the joining date?

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If your intention is to move to another provider you didn't need to talk to TalkTalk, you just sign up with Sky or whoever and they do it all. Takes about 14 days, there is no option to decide a specific date because of behind the scenes reasons.

By actually phoning up and saying I want to leave and then actually leaving you run the (slight) risk of actually having the internet side of the line disconnected at the exchange level. If that happens you're going to be without internet for a long time.
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,964 Forumite
    Options
    Switching process for phone and broadband is gaining provider led so you don't have to give notice to your existing supplier. As the poster above states, what you've done may result in a "cease" which can attract a fee (typically around £30) as well as a delay in getting reconnected.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Options
    Lost phone number as well ???
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts