Claiming child benefit guide discussion area

Options

Comments

• dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Options
    A friend of mine missed out on a year of it as she didn’t know about it. I’m really surprised it’s not more known/ given in the gumph of leaflets you get from everywhere
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • funkyjams
    funkyjams Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Quick question. We claim child benefit & because I earn over £60k I do a self assessment in Jan and pay nearly all of it back again. The assessment bill was always a bit of a hefty nightmare to pay, so a couple of years ago I spoke to HMRC who adjusted my tax code (I think?) so the benefit was recouped over the year, and my self assessment is generally about zero now.
    A couple of months ago we separated and I am now renting a house on my own, while my wife is still getting the child benefit. Am I still responsible for paying this back at the end of the tax year? Or does this change of our situation mean I won't need to pay it back. In which case, can HMRC adjust my code so I'm not paying for it every month? And I guess in the future I won't need to do a self assessment..? Which would be nice...

Thanks
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    funkyjams wrote: »
    Quick question. We claim child benefit & because I earn over £60k I do a self assessment in Jan and pay nearly all of it back again. The assessment bill was always a bit of a hefty nightmare to pay, so a couple of years ago I spoke to HMRC who adjusted my tax code (I think?) so the benefit was recouped over the year, and my self assessment is generally about zero now.
    A couple of months ago we separated and I am now renting a house on my own, while my wife is still getting the child benefit. Am I still responsible for paying this back at the end of the tax year? Or does this change of our situation mean I won't need to pay it back. In which case, can HMRC adjust my code so I'm not paying for it every month? And I guess in the future I won't need to do a self assessment..? Which would be nice...

Thanks

Yes, you're still responsible. You can even be hit with the charge for a child that is not your own.

BTW if your adjusted net income is 60k or over, you need to repay 100% of it.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If are legally separated you can forward proof to the Child Benefit Office who will amend their records.
  • username901
    username901 Posts: 236 Forumite
    Options
    Not currently claiming CB. Have 3 kids (have claimed in past but not for past 2 years) In tax year 2018-2019 I earned £70k, 2019-2020 wife and I will earn £50k exactly, can we claim CB now or does it go via the previous year's earnings so I need to wait till next April?
  • Eagles1905
    Eagles1905 Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Quick question, am I entitled to anything? Single Father, paying child maintenance for 3 x weekends per month (2 overnight stays) Work full time, pay my way for everything and do not currently receive any assistance other than single occupancy council tax allowance. Is there a way I can asses anything? I'm in a national average salary job and to be honest, its tight each month.
    “It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor.”
  • sheramber
    Options
    Not currently claiming CB. Have 3 kids (have claimed in past but not for past 2 years) In tax year 2018-2019 I earned £70k, 2019-2020 wife and I will earn £50k exactly, can we claim CB now or does it go via the previous year's earnings so I need to wait till next April?

It goes on current year's income of the highest paid so you can claim now. Payments can only be back dated 3 months.
  • sheramber
    Options
    Eagles1905 wrote: »
    Quick question, am I entitled to anything? Single Father, paying child maintenance for 3 x weekends per month (2 overnight stays) Work full time, pay my way for everything and do not currently receive any assistance other than single occupancy council tax allowance. Is there a way I can asses anything? I'm in a national average salary job and to be honest, its tight each month.

Child benefit is paid the parent that the child lives with , Only one person can claim the benefit.
  • Clwbobs
    Options
    I am the highest earner between me and my husband. My annual earnings are above the £50,000 CB threshold. This is our only child. This tax year, my earnings will be lower than the £50,000 CB threshold as I have been on mat leave. I have been receiving the full CB amount as I won’t be liable for the tax charge due to my earnings being lower for the 2019/20 tax year. Am I right in thinking I won’t be liable this year?

When I return back to work in April, I’ll be in a new tax year and will be above the threshold so I guess I just notify HMRC and either have the benefits stopped or completed a self assessment. Can someone help or confirm this?
  • Accountant_Kerry
    Options
    yes that's right.
    Does your husband earn enough to pay full national insurance contributions?
    Mar 24 - Mortgage Balance £249,794.45
    Credit Card - £8,182.23 + £4,731.65
    Goals: Mortgage Free by 2035, Give up full time work once Mortgage Free, Ensure I have a pension income of £20k per year from 2035

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback