long term sick

Options
my partner is off work long term sick due to personal issues and her sick pay has stopped. Shes still recieving treatment for her illness and i was wondering where to look to see if shes entitled to any kind of benefit to help her with cost of living etc?

Comments

• Astar1809
    Astar1809 Posts: 114 Forumite
    Options
    When you say sick pay, is this work sick pay or that Statuary Sick pay has been paid for 28 weeks and has stopped?

If it have stopped an SSP1 (forgive me if that wrong name of form, working from memory) needs to be filled out by the employer to assist with Universal credit being issued.
  • longwalks1
    longwalks1 Posts: 3,737 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry Astar1809, both have stopped, company sick pay and also SSP i think. She now gets nothing at all

So the employer should of filled out the SSP1 form?
  • Astar1809
    Astar1809 Posts: 114 Forumite
    Options
    britishboy wrote: »
    Sorry Astar1809, both have stopped, company sick pay and also SSP i think. She now gets nothing at all

So the employer should of filled out the SSP1 form?

I would be harsh to blame the employer as they need to be led by the employee they wish to go down this route (from personal experience I have had people who have wanted to avoid Universal credit due to the stigma attached with it).

It would be worth informing the employer of the situation and urge them to fill out a form so they can apply for Universal credit (what she would be eligable for varies on a variety of factors).
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    britishboy wrote: »
    my partner is off work long term sick due to personal issues and her sick pay has stopped. Shes still recieving treatment for her illness and i was wondering where to look to see if shes entitled to any kind of benefit to help her with cost of living etc?

Do you live together?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,487 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Astar1809 wrote: »
    I would be harsh to blame the employer as they need to be led by the employee they wish to go down this route (from personal experience I have had people who have wanted to avoid Universal credit due to the stigma attached with it).

It would be worth informing the employer of the situation and urge them to fill out a form so they can apply for Universal credit (what she would be eligable for varies on a variety of factors).

It's not harsh to blame the employer at all. They should know that a SSP1 needs to be issued in order for an employee to claim sickness benefit.
    Depending on how much she was earning before going sick, she may be able to claim New Style ESA, the equivalent of the old Contribution based ESA.
  • longwalks1
    Options
    pmlindyloo wrote: »
    Do you live together?

Hi pmlindyloo, she spends 3 or 4 nights a week at mine (its my house in my name, my mortgage etc) as she stays half the week (usuall alternating nights) at her mothers to help with things like food and bathing etc as her mum is in her 80's)
  • longwalks1
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    It's not harsh to blame the employer at all. They should know that a SSP1 needs to be issued in order for an employee to claim sickness benefit.
    Depending on how much she was earning before going sick, she may be able to claim New Style ESA, the equivalent of the old Contribution based ESA.

Thanks TELLIT01 - her pay stopped completely in september last year, and I think she got about £180 for a couple of months, since then, not a penny.

She was earning approx £30k before going off sick, not sure how that equates with your comment about New Style ESA/old contribution based ESA?
  • WhenIam64
    WhenIam64 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    Options
    Here is the link to the form

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/statutory-sick-pay-employee-not-entitled-form-for-employers

If she was employed, then NI would have been paid. This is the basis of being able to apply for new-style ESA.

How to claim is here

https://www.gov.uk/how-to-claim-new-style-esa

If you/she has problems with forms your local benefits charity/CAB should be able to help IF they have internet access. Some charities have been given grants to help people with "digital issues".
    Unlike some here, I am not omniscient. If I am wrong correct me. I won't take offence.

The law is like an ocean - have a swim but don't drown.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    She should definitely claim new style ESA. If she can get her GP to give her a backdated Fit Note she can backdate the ESA claim by up to 3 months. New style ESA is not means tested.

You may be able to make a joint claim for Universal Credit if you are on a low income and have capital of less than £16,000. UC is means tested.

Depending on the nature of your partner's health condition, how it affects her and whether it is going to be long term she may be able to claim Personal Independence Payment which is not means tested.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Paparika
    Paparika Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Go for the NEW ESA route.

Don't be railroaded to UC, as they will take what you earn too, (you're a couple regardless)
    Life is about give and take, if you can't give why should you take?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure