2»

Comments

• teamgb
    teamgb Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 May 2019 at 3:22PM
    Options
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    They can state all they want, as long as you have the amount available for their excess. But why do business with such a firm in the first place?

All car hire firms try to sell you their expensive insurance.

I use Goldcar several times a year because they are cheap very cheap and the cars in good condition, if you read and follow the conditions they are no worse than other firms.

I hired a Seat Leon 1.5 TSI Style Visio Ed with 1437km on the clock from 30/04/19 to 19/5/19 returned full, total hire cost including airport charge was 10.12 E. They blocked 1537 E on my CC.

I do not take their insurance, they always ask and I always say no thank you. I have never felt pressured.

I have an annual excess insurance, the last one cost me less than £30.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    teamgb wrote: »
    All car hire firms try to sell you their expensive insurance.

I use Goldcar several times a year because they are cheap very cheap and the cars in good condition, if you read and follow the conditions they are no worse than other firms.

I hired a Seat Leon 1.5 TSI Style Visio Ed with 1437km on the clock from 30/04/19 to 19/5/19 returned full, total hire cost including airport charge was 10.12 E. They blocked 1537 E on my CC.

I do not take their insurance, they always ask and I always say no thank you. I have never felt pressured.

I have an annual excess insurance, the last one cost me less than £30.

Rubbish! Don't make yourself an apologist for their disgusting practices.
    I've never had the hard sell from any company I have used. Nor have they even suggested that I purchase their insurance. So to suggest that they are no worse than other firms is just ludicrous.
    You say that blocked an amount on your card. others tell of the full amount being taken. Who wants to deal with such arbitrary actions?
    They have a dedicated thread on this forum. Only Green Motion has a similarly poor reputation.

Of course, if you are experienced, you can get around their dodgy actions. But likely more people get caught out than pay the low fee you suggest.
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    Gilbs wrote: »
    Hi there

I’m going on holiday in a few weeks to Malaga and have a car for 12 days.

Got car hire really cheap through Goldcar (I know these get a bad rep, but I used them last year without a hiccup). I’ve also taken out separate insurance as through them it was ridiculous.

The only thing that they did do last year, was actually take around £1500 off my MasterCard credit card, and then refund it. But due to the exchange rates on my card I lost out on about £50. Every time I’ve hired a car before this they have just blocked it on my card rather than actually take it off. Is this standard procedure these days, or is it just goldcar? And what do people normally do on this situation to incur the least cost?

Their T&C states;
    The amount of the deposit shall be temporarily held on the credit card or temporarily debited from the debit card and this varies according to the category of vehicle rented, which is:

So they should not be debiting your credit card, only if it is a debit card. Morons.

https://www.goldcar.es/en/tc/
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is there any way to get around the deposit? Never had a credit card and don't really want one. Is it possible to do it on a business debit card?

Avis will accept a debit card and only ringfence £200.
    If the business card has your name on it and you have it with you yes.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • teamgb
    teamgb Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    Rubbish! Don't make yourself an apologist for their disgusting practices.
    I've never had the hard sell from any company I have used. Nor have they even suggested that I purchase their insurance. So to suggest that they are no worse than other firms is just ludicrous.
    You say that blocked an amount on your card. others tell of the full amount being taken. Who wants to deal with such arbitrary actions?
    They have a dedicated thread on this forum. Only Green Motion has a similarly poor reputation.

Of course, if you are experienced, you can get around their dodgy actions. But likely more people get caught out than pay the low fee you suggest.

It would be helpfull if you would name the company you have used.
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    teamgb wrote: »
    It would be helpfull if you would name the company you have used.

Why? Since I have never been requested to purchase Super CDW, I would have to name every single company with whom I have ever dealt.
    But at Malaga Airport, always Hertz. GoldCar always had long queues of stressed out people.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure