MSE News: Ryanair doubles seat reservation cost

Options
2»

Comments

• cheapholidayguru
    Options
    This isn't actually as bad as lots of other airlines! On short-haul flights, I do question whether it is worth paying for it at all.
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    £4 is still IIRC less than I could have paid Wizzair yesterday to reserve a set seat on their flights.

The route I'll be travelling on usually has a half empty plane anyway where Ryanair doesn't, so plenty of room to move around. I actually ended up being 'upgraded' for free to the exit row both ways, going out (night flight) having the row to myself to stretch out and fall asleep on.

Also, I've always found people are more than happy to move if it makes sense. On a flight in November I was allocated the 'dreaded' middle seat between a couple who had paid for the outer two. For the flight I ended up by the window.

As above, BA charge around £10 to guarantee a seat, and as Ryanair for me is a lot more convenient for personal travel usually and the flights are often cheaper than discounted fares I can get elsewhere, £4 represents good value for money overall if the service is required.
    💙💛 💔
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    Could this increase be Mr.O'Leary's revenge for the ending of a % surcharge on credit card payments ?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    minislim wrote: »
    hahaha! o'leary is a clown! the more he does this the more i steer clear of his dodgy company!

Michael O'Leary is a billionaire.Ryanair will carry around 130 million passengers this year.
    O'Leary is not a clown and Ryanair is far from a dodgy airline.
    Without it spearheading the low-fares revolution in Europe we'd still be paying a fortune to travel comparatively short distances.
  • VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I miss Monarch. I always get that fear in the pit of my stomach that I've messed something up when I'm on my way to the airport for a Ryanair flight. I can't be the only one? A holiday shouldn't start like that. Never had that feeling with Monarch.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,275 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    VT82 wrote: »
    I miss Monarch. I always get that fear in the pit of my stomach that I've messed something up when I'm on my way to the airport for a Ryanair flight. I can't be the only one? A holiday shouldn't start like that. Never had that feeling with Monarch.

I miss Monarch as well, they had the exact times I wanted for my trips, I often picked up mega cheap flights out to Malaga, seats and luggage included for just over £100 each. This year I was shocked at how much more I was going to have to pay on other airlines.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure