Does community speed watch scheme work

Options

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Robisere wrote: »
    What we (young and old) object to, is the placing of an exit road from those homes, on the crown of a sharp bed, with one bus stop nearby (within 5 metres) and another across the road. There are accidents waiting to happen and the Council Highways could not see it: they would not even visit the scene.
    That seems very surprising. Were comments made on the planning application relating to that? Did your parish council mention it in their comment on the app?

Would you be willing to link to the application, or share the site map from the application?
    Robisere wrote:
    It's an A road and a main holiday route. Highways have been asked and will not fit them, nor will they give us a pedestrian crossing. As I stated, there is a series of sharp bends through and at either end of the village, some hidden.
    Sorry, thought you said it was through the village and therefore subject to a 30 mph speed limit.
    I don't see why that's incompatible with the OP's comment.
  • seatbeltnoob
    seatbeltnoob Posts: 1,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    But that still doesn't make much sense with regard to the post you quote where the limit in question ia 20mph through the village but 30mph past the local primary school.
    As the risk of death is far lower with the reduced speed, why not have the limit at 20mph where there is a very good chance that many young children will be on or very near to the road?

perhaps history of past accidents which you are ignorant of.
  • Deastons
    Deastons Posts: 464 Forumite
    Options
    I'd have some sort of unpleasant but unnecessary interaction most long journeys.

I think this is the main reason I stick to the limits (apart from the obvious legal and safety reasons) - because it makes driving so much more relaxing. No need to hunt for police/cameras etc. My journey might take a few extra minutes, but I waste way more than that over the course of the average day, so what am I really gaining??

Yesterday I was driving in London and came to a bus lane, so stopped to try and join the other lane. Angry beeping came from a motorcycle behind me - I hadn't realised that the bus lane wasn't active at that time. But the motorcyclist wouldn't let it go - overtaking me, banging on my window, shouting at me and eventually speeding off, pointing at the bus lane signs and doing w****r signs at me.

Ok, I made a mistake. But I felt sorry for the motorcyclist if he gets that irate simply because he was held-up by about 10 seconds. I always imagine these angry drivers have terrible home lives/jobs/are going through a divorce or something.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Deastons wrote: »
    I think this is the main reason I stick to the limits (apart from the obvious legal and safety reasons) - because it makes driving so much more relaxing. No need to hunt for police/cameras etc. My journey might take a few extra minutes, but I waste way more than that over the course of the average day, so what am I really gaining??

Yesterday I was driving in London and came to a bus lane, so stopped to try and join the other lane. Angry beeping came from a motorcycle behind me - I hadn't realised that the bus lane wasn't active at that time. But the motorcyclist wouldn't let it go - overtaking me, banging on my window, shouting at me and eventually speeding off, pointing at the bus lane signs and doing w****r signs at me.

Ok, I made a mistake. But I felt sorry for the motorcyclist if he gets that irate simply because he was held-up by about 10 seconds. I always imagine these angry drivers have terrible home lives/jobs/are going through a divorce or something.

And what mistake do you think you made?
  • Deastons
    Options
    And what mistake do you think you made?

Not continuing into the bus lane.
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not continuing into the bus lane.

Not looking past the end of the bonnet.
  • Deastons
    Options
    Not looking past the end of the bonnet.

Ah yes, the good old "I wasn't there but I know better" stance.

Looking on Google Maps, seems I was actually correct and the motorcyclist was wrong. Not that he would ever admit it.
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ah yes, the good old "I wasn't there but I know better" stance.

Looking on Google Maps, seems I was actually correct and the motorcyclist was wrong. Not that he would ever admit it.

But the bus lane didn’t appear by magic. If you were looking you’d have seen it, a bit like the home you reversed into.
  • Deastons
    Options
    But the bus lane didn!!!8217;t appear by magic. If you were looking you!!!8217;d have seen it, a bit like the home you reversed into.
    In fact it did appear like magic. The huge double decker bus in front of me cleverly hid it until it was on the bus lane and the road markings were revealed to me.

Had my x-ray glasses been in the car, I'd have known.

But either way, I was correct to stop and join the other lane after all, as the bus lane was active (as I thought at the time, but assumed the angry motorcyclist knew better).

Have a look for yourself if you like - going south on Kingsway (A4200) towards Aldwych just after it crosses the A40, outside Holborn station is a small section of bus lane that is active at all times (unlike the bus lane after the turning for Gate Street which is only active during certain times).

You can even see on streetview, the sign is obscured by the newspaper stand, so I couldn't see the bus lane until the last moment. But, you know, you know better.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    In fact it did appear like magic. The huge double decker bus in front of me cleverly hid it until it was on the bus lane and the road markings were revealed to me.
    Ah, too close to the vehicle in front.

Here?
    https://goo.gl/maps/s7kvodMUXTx

Long while since I've been down Kingsway, but that bus lane was always there back in the 90s, when I was working there regularly. I'm not sure bus lanes in central London should be a great surprise.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure