Solar pv seller goes bust!

Options
jim2
jim2 Posts: 21 Forumite
Hi everyone,

I bought my solar panels in may 2015 from a company called Hot House Energy. The business went into administration last year. I have a monitoring gizmo that basically isn't getting monitored by anyone as Hot House were doing that. I recently received a call by a company (their name escapes me atm)who offered to monitor my system for a £100 initial fee and £20 annually. They said they were given my details from Enphase (the company who supplied my micro inverters). I've tried to contact Enphase direct but they're not very helpful!
The price isn't the issue, it's the principle that because a company goes bust I have to pick up the tab.Does anyone have an address of an ombudsman type of body related to solar pv installations?
Thanks,
Jim.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am struggling to understand what the issue is here? I assume that you have an export meter so what more do you need? As far as the law is concerned, you will be an unsecured creditor. There is no way that going to the industry body is going to resolve what Is an issue between a liquidated company and a customer. I assume that you have an insurance backed warranty that you can fall back on if anything goes wrong with your PV system?

The trade body is at:

https://www.recc.org.uk
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    jim2 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I bought my solar panels in may 2015 from a company called Hot House Energy. The business went into administration last year. I have a monitoring gizmo that basically isn't getting monitored by anyone as Hot House were doing that. I recently received a call by a company (their name escapes me atm)who offered to monitor my system for a £100 initial fee and £20 annually. They said they were given my details from Enphase (the company who supplied my micro inverters). I've tried to contact Enphase direct but they're not very helpful!
    The price isn't the issue, it's the principle that because a company goes bust I have to pick up the tab.Does anyone have an address of an ombudsman type of body related to solar pv installations?
    Thanks,
    Jim.

I suggest that you post again in the "Green & Ethical" thread, as it is likely that someone there may be able to help with advice.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    There have been several cases of solar PV firms ceasing trading. This is one example:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5052649
  • Sterlingtimes
    Sterlingtimes Posts: 2,403 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    I am struggling to understand what the issue is here?

The issue is this: Enphase provides the end client with monitoring across all inverters, but the selling point was that one's installer would monitor at single inverter level and the installer would respond to any fault. When an installer goes belly-up, this apparent service is lost. Enphase will sell the service to the end user for a huge licence fee.
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The issue is this: Enphase provides the end client with monitoring across all inverters, but the selling point was that one's installer would monitor at single inverter level and the installer would respond to any fault. When an installer goes belly-up, this apparent service is lost. Enphase will sell the service to the end user for a huge licence fee.

Thanks for the clarification. It really doesn't change anything as far as the unfortunate OP is concerned. The installer has gone bust. A third-party can see a commercial opportunity and has offered to take over monitoring the system at a cost. It is up to the OP to accept/reject this offer. I would have thought that there must be others out there that would offer the same type of service. That said, does the £100 plus £20per year include rectification: I doubt it. The fallback is the original warranty if it is still valid.
  • jim2
    Options
    Thanks to all who replied, it's greatly appreciated.
    I suppose I have at least a company who is willing to monitor my system,obviously at a further cost, which eats into any profit made in generating solar energy!
    Hey ho!
  • jim2
    Options
    I suggest that you post again in the "Green & Ethical" thread, as it is likely that someone there may be able to help with advice.

Ok,thanks,I will do 👍
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It sounds more like a case of vultures circling the carcass..
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure