No Water Supply since death in the family

Options
One of my family members died in 2013 and the Water into the property was turned off. The property does not have a meter. Yet. I am in the process of trying get this sorted.

However, we have been buying water in as all the Stop Taps are stuck in closed position. I ended up.calling out Thames Water and one of their engineer's confirmed that the supply in the street had been turned off.

So this would be the reason why none of the taps or central heating would operate.

Even though Thames Waters engineer confirm that no water was being supplied they have sent a really large bill despite them not supplying the property with anything.
I can only assume that the executors had the supply shut off when my family member passed away.

Can I dispute the charges as nothing has been turned back on yet and we are still bring water into the property.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The bill is probably for the drainage/sewage side of things
  • jbuchanangb
    jbuchanangb Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you are now occupying the property, you should call water company as an emergency to respond to turn on the supply. Open a new account with them as the new occupier.

Liability for any charges for the property while it has been empty can be the subject of a further debate.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    . I ended up.calling out Thames Water and one of their engineer's confirmed that the supply in the street had been turned off.

Did they explain why the WHOLE street had been isolated? Is this affecting other buildings?
  • amayeta
    amayeta Posts: 93 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who replied. I have spoken to Thames Water now a few times and it has now been resolved. The bills have been cancelled.
    Again thank you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport