On-grid domestic battery storage

Options

Comments

• Reed_Richards
    Options
    I think there may be differences between what is done in a "farm" full of wind turbines and what is done with a single "domestic" wind turbine. I have read that all modern wind farm turbines operate Wild AC to DC to Grid AC as the most efficient/cost effective means of matching their output to the grid. But I don't know how close to the turbine each conversion takes place. By the way, older systems don't operate this way and you can recognise them because all the turbines rotate at the same rate.

Martyn has established that the Wild AC to DC conversion in a domestic turbine is integrated so what comes down the wires from the turbine is DC. The Wild AC to DC conversion has to take place somewhere and it is generally held that DC is safer than AC so on that basis it make sense to send DC down the wires..
    Reed
  • Solarchaser
    Options
    I guess maybe the container size box that sits right beside wind turbines would be the box of tricks to take turbine power to grid power.

It strikes me that this would be the perfect place to have a Mwh of batts attached to each turbine box, storing the energy when not needed, supplying it when required, I cant imagine it would add much to the cost of a wind turbine, as I'd expect they are a *little* more expensive than a ford fiesta anyway
    West central Scotland
    4kw sse since 2014 and 6.6kw wsw / ene split since 2019
    24kwh leaf, 75Kwh Tesla and Lux 3600 with 60Kwh storage
  • Reed_Richards
    Options
    It strikes me that this would be the perfect place to have a Mwh of batts attached to each turbine box, storing the energy when not needed, supplying it when required, I cant imagine it would add much to the cost of a wind turbine, as I'd expect they are a *little* more expensive than a ford fiesta anyway
    But the most popular Tesla Model S has a 75 kWh battery so for 1 MWh you would need 13 of these instead of your Ford Fiesta.
    Reed
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Martyn has established that the Wild AC to DC conversion in a domestic turbine is integrated so what comes down the wires from the turbine is DC. The Wild AC to DC conversion has to take place somewhere and it is generally held that DC is safer than AC so on that basis it make sense to send DC down the wires..

Just to be clear, I've no idea how it works, it was you that said this when I thought you'd gotten your AC and DC the wrong way round in this post:
    The electricity you will generate will be AC, at some frequency. You will probably want to connect that to your existing inverter so the inverter sees the electricity as more solar panels. I say this because you need to match your power output to mains frequency and phase and are not allowed to feed power to the grid in the event of a grid power failure; your inverter performs both these functions. So you would need some sort of AC to DC inverter to convert the output from your hydro power generator to DC but if you do it that way I imagine the new inverter could be relatively dumb and unsophisticated.

Up to that point, I'd never heard of small wind or hydro turbines outputting AC (still can't find any that do), I'd only ever heard of DC output, from DC generators (dynamo's) that then charge batts via charge controllers or go to a DC to AC inverter.

TBH my head started to hurt, but as we agreed that output was DC, that resolved the issue of the inverter that was needed. So sorted. :)
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Reed_Richards
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    I'd only ever heard of DC output, from DC generators (dynamo's)
    Good article here on how a dynamo works: https://edisontechcenter.org/generators.html . There is a rotary switch called a commutator that takes the fundamental AC output of the turbine/bicycle wheel/whatever but switches it off when the current is flowing in the wrong direction so you get "half wave AC" which is usually then smoothed electronically to a more constant (direct) current. But obviously this isn't very efficient because you throw away half your generated electricity. So you would use other electronics, not a dynamo, in an energy-efficiency sensitive application like a turbine.

There used to be dynamo-powered bicycle lights but the lights went out when you stopped pedalling so I imagine they're not allowed any more.
    Reed
  • joefizz
    Options
    Good article here on how a dynamo works: https://edisontechcenter.org/generators.html . There is a rotary switch called a commutator that takes the fundamental AC output of the turbine/bicycle wheel/whatever but switches it off when the current is flowing in the wrong direction so you get "half wave AC" which is usually then smoothed electronically to a more constant (direct) current. But obviously this isn't very efficient because you throw away half your generated electricity. So you would use other electronics, not a dynamo, in an energy-efficiency sensitive application like a turbine.

There used to be dynamo-powered bicycle lights but the lights went out when you stopped pedalling so I imagine they're not allowed any more.

Are you sure you arent confusing the operation of a commutator with a half wave rectifier? Might just be my reading of the above.

Commutator changes a sine wave output from positive and negative peaks to just positive only. Half way round, it reverses the direction of the current going to the load, it doesnt switch off for half the circuit. Thats of course a description of just a 2 section commutator.

Half wave rectifier only uses one side of the AC (as opposed to full wave rectifier - a commutator is like a physical rectifier).

Again slightly pedantic but technical point the wee generators on bikes were magnetos not dynamos. Dynamos use coils for the magnetic field magnetos used magnets (if you ever broke one open you would see the curved magnets). You can still get them, IIRC they are mostly built into bike hubs now.
  • mmmmikey
    mmmmikey Posts: 1,642 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 September 2019 at 11:06AM
    Options

Morning all - dicussion of electrical theory is an interesting diversion while I wait for the call from PowerVault who are going to do some work calibrating my batteries today - more on that later, and other battery plans :)

In the meantime, I think the article Reed links to is a bit misleading and Joe's description is better. If you Google "split ring commutator" you'll see loads of explanations of how current is reversed, e.g.

http://www.gcsescience.com/pme13.htm

On the bicycle dynamo/magneto question, you can still get them. Mine charges a capacitor that drives a LED so the light doesn't dim as you go uphill or go off when you stop at a junction, which is what used to happen in the old days.
  • Reed_Richards
    Options
    joefizz wrote: »
    Are you sure you arent confusing the operation of a commutator with a half wave rectifier? Commutator changes a sine wave output from positive and negative peaks to just positive only. Half way round, it reverses the direction of the current going to the load, it doesnt switch off for half the circuit. Thats of course a description of just a 2 section commutator
    Yes, your'e right; I was thinking of something very basic but reversing the direction of current is much better. This was O-level physics and O-level physics was a long time ago. But the point I have been trying to get across the whole time is that all these doohickies take electricity from a turbine that would be a form of AC if left unfettered by electronics (or electro-mechanics) and turn it into DC. Whereas the natural inherent behaviour of a solar panel is to produce DC, no conversion required.
    Again slightly pedantic but technical point the wee generators on bikes were magnetos not dynamos..
    Again I'm sure you are right. As kids we always called the dynamos but what do kids know?
    Reed
  • Exiled_Tyke
    Options
    Are you sure you arent confusing the operation of a commutator with a half wave rectifier? Might just be my reading of the above.

Commutator changes a sine wave output from positive and negative peaks to just positive only. Half way round, it reverses the direction of the current going to the load, it doesnt switch off for half the circuit. Thats of course a description of just a 2 section commutator.

Half wave rectifier only uses one side of the AC (as opposed to full wave rectifier - a commutator is like a physical rectifier).

Again slightly pedantic but technical point the wee generators on bikes were magnetos not dynamos. Dynamos use coils for the magnetic field magnetos used magnets (if you ever broke one open you would see the curved magnets). You can still get them, IIRC they are mostly built into bike hubs now.

A full wave rectifier (I think a 'bridge rectifier') uses an arrangement of 4 diodes (in a rather clever configuration I've always thought) to handle both sides of the sine wave. (A half -wave uses one diode). Capacitors are used to smooth the sine wave out.

This has got me thinking about how large scale hydro plants (such as Dinorwig) produce AC. Is it possible to manage the water flow to create a well governed AC or are efficiencies lost by converting AC to DC to AC as is being suggested for wind turbines. Which leads to a further thought - how on earth is the AC 'wave' regulated across the whole of the country? And then what about 3-phase supplies. GULP!
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
  • joefizz
    joefizz Posts: 676 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Again I'm sure you are right. As kids we always called the dynamos but what do kids know?

We called them dynamos as well (think they are still referred to as dynamos). Magneto was a character in the x-men comics ;-) A/O level electronics examiners liked the proper terms used though ;-)

'Which leads to a further thought - how on earth is the AC 'wave' regulated across the whole of the country?'
    Ahh, thats the big question going forward, with so much of renewables being generated from DC then its becoming more and more of a problem. The losses are just a given, at the minute my PV is producing DC, going through the inverter to AC, down the cable to my computer and monitors then back to various forms of DC again. Later on tonight add the battery in and the 2 way conversion from AC to DC back to AC and out again and its changed many times over.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback