PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Frugal_dragon
    Options
    Update on GC this month. I am finding that by getting bits and bobs as I need them I am actually spending less than I would on a 'weekly' shop! Have made a couple of visits this week to Mr T, Mr A and Mr S, got a lot of whoopsies to fill the freezer, mainly bread and meat and stocked up on some washing powder, Bold currently half price £6 for the big box at Mr T.
    Had a go at making home made baked beans. Had them with Jacket potatop and cheese, the family loved them. Loads left for the freezer as well. Definately need to a freezer audit this weekend!!
  • mumsieknock
    Options
    I know this may not be the right place to ask but I'm really hoping someone can point me in the right direction

Due to family situation at home we really need to save on our shopping bills. I recently saw a programme on telly the other week that followed a lady that did her shopping using coupons that she had printed from the internet and was saving herself £££'s. I've been trying to find sites where i can print off vouchers and I'm not finding anything. I know it must be me doing something wrong but can't find any vouchers, all I can find vouchers for resturants or gyms etc.

I'll def be looking at and using the recipies listed already but any links that anyone can give me would be great. Thanks
  • LondonDreamer
    Options
    I know this may not be the right place to ask but I'm really hoping someone can point me in the right direction

Due to family situation at home we really need to save on our shopping bills. I recently saw a programme on telly the other week that followed a lady that did her shopping using coupons that she had printed from the internet and was saving herself £££'s. I've been trying to find sites where i can print off vouchers and I'm not finding anything. I know it must be me doing something wrong but can't find any vouchers, all I can find vouchers for resturants or gyms etc.

I'll def be looking at and using the recipies listed already but any links that anyone can give me would be great. Thanks

Try the vouchers board. I think the printable coupon sticky would be the best place to start. :)
  • Gorgeestwo
    Options
    wow this thread moves fast :D

Spent another £30 today :( we spent the afternoon adding up various things on our last 6 mths bank statements, I'm so embarrassed about how much money we've been spending on our groceries alone :eek::eek::eek::eek: its an alwful lot more than I guessed at! I have to say judging by the figures it'll be a minor (probably major!!) miracle if I get within a £100 of my target, but I'll be the happiest person around if I do :T I know its something we can conquer (we have to lol) just need to stick at it, you are all certainly giving me lots of inspiration, so thank you :beer:
  • piggeh
    piggeh Posts: 1,723 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    minced beef
    chopped onion
    1tsp garlic paste or 1 clove
    tin chopped toms
    tin baked beans
    chilli powder
    black pepper
    :D

Nice :D

I was going to do one with kidney beans but they take too long to cook. This looks easier, although beef stock cube might be worth a look
    matched betting: £879.63
  • Ninno820
    Ninno820 Posts: 765 Forumite
    Options
    Had another nsd day - until I arrived home and a friend had kindly left me some cleaning products - I had asked her before Christmas to get me a few things and had completely forgotten about it! Grr - good job there's a small "emergency fund!"
    44 day challenge

1. Pay £650 off overdraft (£ 288/ £650)
    2. Lose 12 lbs (4.5/ 12)
    3. Use YNAB everyday (6/44)
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can I have the recipe for this please? :)

Here you go.......

Quick Courgette Lasagne

1 tblsp olive oil
    2 large courgettes, grated
    1 clove garlic, finely chopped
    Pinch chilli flakes
    1/2 tub of ricotta
    3tblsp parmesan
    Jar of tomato based pasta sauce, or a tub of fresh, or even homemade
    6 sheets lasagne (i use dried but cook it first or use fresh)
    1. Heat the oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan. Cook the courgette, garlic and chilli until soft. Add the ricotta and 2 tbsp of parmesan, season and mix well.
    2. Put a layer of the mix in the bottom of a small dish. Add a quarter of the sauce then cover with 2 sheets of lasagne in a single layer. Repeat twice, ending with lasagne. Spoon over the last 1/4 of tomato sauce and sprinkle over the Parmesan. Bake for 20-30 minutes until bubbling.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • bupster
    bupster Posts: 259 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Piggeh, canned kidney beans take no longer than the rest of the ingredients - honest - and they'll really fill you up. I only use the canned ones because I can't be arsed otherwise :)
    Grocery challenge September 2022: £230.04/£200
    Grocery challenge October 2022: 0/£200

2012 numbers:
    Grocery challenge - April £65.28/£80
    Entertainment - £79

Grocery challenge March £106.55/£100
    Grocery challenge February £90.11/£100
    Grocery challenge January £84.65/£300
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone

Gone a bit mad the last couple of days but only spent on food I will use the rest of the month, froze any veg I have bought and not using in the next couple of days, and have a large beefless and ale stew in the SC (I use quorn) which should last a couple of days with some for freezing.

Could I have the recipe for this please? I am always on the look out for veggie SC recipes. Thank you:)

NSD for me today:T

I need to dust off the bread maker tomorrow to make the pizza base for the pizzas I am making for tea. I also want to make some tomato and herb bread in it on Saturday to go with HM soup for lunch. Leek and potato I think or something out of the HFW veg book I got for Christmas.

My first veg box in 9 months arrives in the morning and I am so excited.:j:o:o

I am trying to debate when to do my food shopping for next week. I would leave it until Monday but I will need fruit for the weekend and lunch on Monday but if I go after work tomorrow I can nip to Ald1 and not have to take DS. He is getting so big I stuggle to lift him in to the seat in the trolley but at 20 months he is too little to walk. I am only little myself.:)

DH doesn't want any alcohol Friday or Sunday as he is at work the next day so I am going to persuade him to drink wine or whisky (both we already have in from Christmas) on Saturday night so I don't need to spend any money on beer;):beer: £10 saved:D

Off to see what can be tweaked on the menu plan/crossed off the shopping list and I will attempt to get to Ald1 tomorrow afternoon.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hang on in there Meg 72... it will get easier I promise.... I've done it. I swore at my best mate, I locked myself in a room and screamed, I rolled up a newspaper and beat the living daylights out of the back wall of the house....:eek::eek: and I drank a glass of water everytime I needed a cig. I also remembered my wedding day....one of the most important days of my life and I couldnt wait for the service to be over so I could go for a cig. How pathetic I was! I'm never going back there...... its four years now but like you I started going through it one minute, one hour, one afternoon, one day,,,, its worth every moment of agony in the long run. You've already done the hardest bit.:T:T:T:T:T

NRT is nicotine replacement therapy. (patches/gum etc) Sorry I'm not sure what the community pharmacy scheme is. I would suggest if you've got to day 3 you might be ok without all that as your will power is pretty good.
    ... but do whatever you need to to get through.
    :beer::beer:

Many thanks for the encouragement,day 5 now but I cannot say it seems any easier.

I have a horrible cold at the moment and havent got dressed for the past two days,I am sure if I had have been dressed I would have made a quick sprint to the local Spa shop for baccy by now. Somehow by the time I have considered getting ready to go out
    the urge has passed over.

Still not spent any money on grocerys but may go to the market tommorow if feeling better.
    Slimming World at target
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport