Phone given to a six year old?

Options

Comments

• onomatopoeia99
    Options
    Sorry, but :rotfl::rotfl:

Is there anything people can do these days without having to resort to a computer to assist them..

We were taught letters, numbers, nursery rhymes by people. You know.. living breathing human beings.

The old ways are the best, then? :rotfl:
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • jimbo747
    jimbo747 Posts: 630 Forumite
    Options
    I let my 6 year old daughter play on my phone but she now has her own kindle, plays a variety of games and books. limited to an hour a day. Her social skills are excellent, maths above average but her reading ability is what is expected for a child starting juniors. She loves reading books and I don't think using a tablet has had any negative impact. She is way beyond what I was at her age in all areas, and as with everything, having things in moderation is the key.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options

Is there anything people can do these days without having to resort to a computer to assist them..

We were taught letters, numbers, nursery rhymes by people. You know.. living breathing human beings. That's something kids are lacking now, as harried parents are plonking them down in front of a tablet computer while they get on with other (presumably more important) things.

Computers have enabled the terminally stupid to become even more dysfunctional, in many ways.

My daughter knows more nursery rhymes than me, Of course I teach all those too but when uses correctly, and they are also used in nurserys and schools now you know, phones and tablets are a brilliant aid to learning.
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options

We were taught letters, numbers, nursery rhymes by people. You know.. living breathing human beings. That's something kids are lacking now, as harried parents are plonking them down in front of a tablet computer while they get on with other (presumably more important) things.

Computers have enabled the terminally stupid to become even more dysfunctional, in many ways.
    Perhaps we should go back to farming with scythes then? Or sending letters in the post rather than emails or texts. Let's ban online banking while we're at it too.

What's the problem with using technology as an aid to learning? Having my child practice times tables with an app doesn't mean that I can't or won't help her practice in other ways.

Sure, there are issues with too much screen time, but electronic devices are not the instruments of pure evil that some people on here are making them out to be.

As an example I run a robotics club for 8-11 years olds where we (shock horror) use tablets and phones to program robots to do various tasks. Occasionally we also have a bit of fun too, if that's allowed these days...
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    phones and tablets are a brilliant aid to learning.
    onlyroz wrote: »
    Sure, there are issues with too much screen time, but electronic devices are not the instruments of pure evil that some people on here are making them out to be.

Agree - most parents will use them as just another tool - bad parents will use them as a way of keeping kids quiet.

It's not the tool that's the problem, it's the inadequate parents - and it isn't the tool that makes them bad parents - they have existed in every generation!
  • fibonarchie
    Options
    onlyroz wrote: »
    Perhaps we should go back to farming with scythes then? Or sending letters in the post rather than emails or texts. Let's ban online banking while we're at it too.

What's the problem with using technology as an aid to learning? Having my child practice times tables with an app doesn't mean that I can't or won't help her practice in other ways.

As an example I run a robotics club for 8-11 years olds where we (shock horror) use tablets and phones to program robots to do various tasks. Occasionally we also have a bit of fun too, if that's allowed these days...

Ooh, I seem to have hit a raw nerve. Why would that be, I wonder.. :think:

Dumping kids in front of screens isn't (and will never be) good for them. This must of course mean that we need to go back to 'farming with scythes..' rolleyes3.gif(though granted, a bit of physical exercise wouldn't hurt a lot of people.. ;) )
    Signature Removed by Forum Team ..thanks to somebody reporting a witty and decades-old Kenny Everett quote as 'offensive'!!
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ooh, I seem to have hit a raw nerve. Why would that be, I wonder.. :think:

Dumping kids in front of screens isn't (and will never be) good for them. This must of course mean that we need to go back to 'farming with scythes..' rolleyes3.gif(though granted, a bit of physical exercise wouldn't hurt a lot of people.. ;) )

Who is "dumping their child in front of a screen" ? The majority of parents are responsible enough to limit their childs exposure to anything they feel isn't constructive or could possibly be harmful. But of course those parents are never in the press are they ?
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Dumping kids in front of screens isn't (and will never be) good for them.

I don't think anyone on here will disagree with that.

Using technology as another tool to aid learning and to have fun is a completely different thing.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 12 August 2018 at 12:24PM
    Options
    I don't see the issue its not a phone. Without the SIM its an ipod/tablet.

My son had a second hand ipod when he was young (can't remember the exact age). Reason being I didn't want his apps on my phone. There were rules it was set up under my account and passworded so I had to download all apps, he was only allowed educational games and the ipod was not allowed upstairs (he is now 11 and has his own phone but the rules still apply the phone is not allowed in his bedroom and I still have to put in a password for new apps).

Having his own had it benefits, when were out he couldn't just 'borrow' my phone and play on it like you see some children as his ipod never left the house.

Whether we like it or not children will start to use technology earlier (they have ipads at schools in reception). I don't see the difference if they are using parents tablets or their own, its the time they are allowed to spend on them thats important not who they belong to.
  • fibonarchie
    Options
    meer53 wrote: »
    Who is "dumping their child in front of a screen" ? The majority of parents are responsible enough to limit their childs exposure to anything they feel isn't constructive or could possibly be harmful. But of course those parents are never in the press are they ?

Let's look at the evidence, shall we.

Highest ever incidences of anxiety and mental illness among children
    Highest ever incidences of childhood obesity
    Ever-increasing levels of ADHD - unheard of until recent decades. (prolonged screen use decreases attention span and causes eye strain)

Unsupervised use of the internet having a detrimental effect on children's health and wellbeing, and on society as a whole. Children who are given phones (usually by mums who themselves spend half their lives updating Facebook on theirs..) are going to be addicted to screens at a worryingly young age.

(Don't think they're addicted? Try taking the phone/tablet away from them for a week or two and see what happens)

No-one in their right mind gives an iPhone to a 6 year old child.. unless they've got ulterior motives (annoying the ex, who doesn't want the child to have one) and/or are absolutely clueless.
    Signature Removed by Forum Team ..thanks to somebody reporting a witty and decades-old Kenny Everett quote as 'offensive'!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure