Credit card double charge

Hi
I was recently on holiday in Italy and I came to pay for our lunch bill at a restaurant. I went to the cash desk and paid with a Visa credit card, and entered the PIN. After I entered the PIN the waitress realised that the machine had run out of paper and couldn't get a print out. I followed her to find another roll of paper. She got this from another desk where a number of her colleagues were sitting. When she put in the paper roll the transaction had gone so she put it through again. She handed it to me to enter my PIN again. At this point I was unsure what to do as I had already entered a PIN, but she said that it hadn't gone through. I can barely speak any Italian and she could barely speak English so we were having a bit of a hard time communicating. Her colleagues all decided to get involved and insisted that I would not be double charged. I felt very pressurised to enter my PIN again as they were claiming that I hadn't paid. So I entered it again, thinking that if anything went wrong my credit card company would have my back.

Since coming home, I've received my bill and I have been double charged. Nationwide (the credit card company) have said that because I entered the PIN twice, there is nothing they can do to help me. I have explained that I felt pressurised to do this etc but they've been of no help at all. I have emailed the restaurant twice but have received no reply.

Is there anything that can be done?
Thanks in advance

Comments

• Phone the restaurant?
    Leave a negative review on TripAdvisor?

They usually tend to reply to things like that
  • Nationwide have three potential ways of helping you but none is guaranteed due to the circumstances.

1. Write the transaction off and credit you.
    2. Raise a Chargeback for duplicate processing.
    3. Raise a Chargeback for Paid by Other Means.

Option 1 is a non-starter given how they've treated you so far.

Option 2 has legs but could be easily rebutted by the retailer/acquirer showing two separate transactions both PIN verified by you - albeit they would presumably only be able to provide one transaction receipt due to the paper problem.

Option 3 is probably the best and it doesn't matter that you PIN verified both transactions, or that both transactions are on the same credit card, because that is not the point of the dispute. Your case is that you were incorrectly requested to pay for a meal when you had already done so with a previous transaction but were told that prior transaction had not been processed. If you have your original transaction receipt for transaction No 2 and the restaurant bill and can provide a written description of what happened, you have a chance.

You need to emphasise the paper-running-out issue, the fact that both receipts are timed within minutes of each other for identical amounts, that the staff assured you there would be no double charge and that there is only one restaurant bill. Your case should also include a challenge to the retailer to provide two separate transaction receipts. They can't do this unless they cheat and copy the one that does exist. It will be obvious from printed data that they have done this.

To properly refute your claim the restaurant will have to provide evidence that each transaction relates to a separate purchase by providing two bills for the same amount at the same time.

If you have the paperwork to support your claim and can write a compelling account there is no reason why Nationwide cannot try something for you. You need to stand up to them and insist - I would.
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Raise a formal complaint with Nationwide, they could and should perform a chargeback for the duplicate transaction.
  • I had something similar on my MBNA card last year. The screen on the till at the POS froze and the store insisted that the sale hadn't gone through. I got my phone out, opened my MBNA app and showed them the pending transaction. Game, shot and match.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 24 September 2018 at 8:51PM
    Get back in touch with Nationwide. Tell them that this is a duplicate transaction. Two transactions from the same merchant for identical amounts one immediately after the other. A classic double transaction scenario. Explain briefly what occurred and tell Nationwide that you wish to raise a dispute on the second transaction. If they refuse INSIST.
  • Nationwide have fobbed you off and can’t have put you through to the correct person to deal with your query.

Simple chargeback, literally a 2 min job.

Call them back and insist you need to dispute the transaction.
  • Also, the dispute is the first transaction as it failed. But nationwide should work that out anyway. Should ask for compensation for wasting your time first time round.
  • OceanSound
    OceanSound Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Most first line support bods are unaware of chargeback rules. SO you have to keep pressing and ask for dispute to be escalated (to the visa disputes team if I remember correctly).

Nationwide made a hash of my dispute, because they didn't forward my evidence to the correct team. This meant they didn't engage the chargeback procedure within the 120-day limit (this is for debit card, for credit card time limit is different)).

I had to go to ombudsman to resolve it. Nationwide then sent me final response offering partial refund of £30 (£65 of the £95 had already been refunded by the trader). Nationwide also paid me £150 in compensation.
  • Thank you all. I've raised a dispute for the second charge. Unfortunately I put the receipt in a "safe" place so it isn't with all my other receipts and I can't find it! I will be providing Nationwide with copies of the emails that I have sent to the restaurant - with no replies.
    Let's wait and see!
  • Glad you have made progress

A receipt isn’t actually required (just preferred) for the dispute either so if you can’t find it just tell them to process it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure