Lost item from easy jet hold

Options
Hi,

So we flew on easy jet on our return from Turkey just this week.
I’ve unpacked today to find my designer sunglasses missing :’( I’m so upset as they’re my favourite!
I packed them in my small suitcase that I was going to take on board with me but the lady at check in offered for it to be taken free of charge with my booked luggage so I agreed as I was traveling with a toddler and baby. The suitcase was not padlocked for the reason that I was planning to take it on board.

Easy jet are not being very helpful. Any advise on what I should do? This is the first time I didn’t get travel insurance and this happens :(

Comments

• Cyclizine
    Cyclizine Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You took a toddler and a baby to Turkey with no travel insurance? There's your problem there. Your issue will be with the ground staff at the airport, but how far do you want to push this?
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They usually ask if there are any valuables you want to remove before putting it in the hold. Did they do this?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Perhaps buy a new pair?
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Get travel insurance next time.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Farwa33
    Options
    :( I’ve learnt my lesson the hard way!!
    Yes you guys are right that it was my mistake to travel without insurance.. never again!
    In regards to being asked if I wanted to remove any valuables -no I wasn’t offered the option to take out valuables and if any of you have traveled with kids you know how stressful it is. I didn’t even think to take them out myself.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,102 Forumite
    Options
    I!!!8217;ve learnt my lesson the hard way!!
    Yes you guys are right that it was my mistake to travel without insurance.. never again!

You got off lightly. Learning the hard way would have been if any of you were taken ill in Turkey and needed medical treatment, or repatriation to the UK - you'd be facing a bill of thousands rather than just a pair of sunglasses.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    bagand96 wrote: »
    You got off lightly. Learning the hard way would have been if any of you were taken ill in Turkey and needed medical treatment, or repatriation to the UK - you'd be facing a bill of thousands rather than just a pair of sunglasses.
    This is worth repeating.

I can’t believe anyone would travel without insurance unless they have enough money to cover repatriation
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You fell prey to dishonest baggage handlers, no less prevalent in Turkey than elsewhere, and have unfortunately seen the last of your sunglasses. The best pickings are made by the handler working inside the hold who stows hand luggage taken at the boarding gate, and is always ready to inspect for available valuables. Failing to lock facilitates his enterprise.

If the easyJet staff didn't remind you to take precautions, they certainly should have and it may be worth complaining. But your experience will no doubt make you more careful in future so take solace that a worse misfortune has been and will be avoided.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,816 Forumite
    Options
    eDicky wrote: »
    You fell prey to dishonest baggage handlers, no less prevalent in Turkey than elsewhere, and have unfortunately seen the last of your sunglasses. The best pickings are made by the handler working inside the hold who stows hand luggage taken at the boarding gate, and is always ready to inspect for available valuables. Failing to lock facilitates his enterprise.

If the easyJet staff didn't remind you to take precautions, they certainly should have and it may be worth complaining. But your experience will no doubt make you more careful in future so take solace that a worse misfortune has been and will be avoided.
    Having a padlock could also indicate to handlers that there is something worth stealing. Quite a few years ago I was waiting to collect a case from the hold. It had nothing of value in it, just dirty clothes. When it came onto the carousel, I could see that someone had tried to force the padlock and, on failing, had slashed the corner of the case with a knife of some kind. I lost nothing from it but the airline did have to replace my case.
    i doubt the insurer would pay out on a pair of sunglasses unless they were seriously expensive/prescription ones.
  • Farwa33
    Farwa33 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Yeh they wouldn!!!8217;t have paid out for them. Even though they!!!8217;re worth £300... airline won!!!8217;t do anything as baggage handlers don!!!8217;t work for them directly. They are employed by the airports. Glad thy replaced your suitcase for you though.. such a pain to have to go through things like that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure