computer help request

Options
At present I am operating on Windows XP ...yes I know well out of date....am looking to get a new desktop computer with a more modern and up to date operating system, I am also using an I pad air too. Would somebody please give me some advice on what would be a good pc to consider, I just need it for internet, email, and job applications as I will be looking for a new job about September time. I'd also like recommendations on a printer too so that I can print from my I pad and desktop too, thanks in anticipation. :T:T:T:T

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 June 2017 at 2:48PM
    Options
    What kind of budget ?

Do you need a keyboard, mouse etc ?

Other than the current machone being XP whats wrong with it ?
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    Options
    for printers if you just want simple basic then i have an Epson XP-215 and you get an app from the ios store on your ipad to print from that.

PC, depends on your budget and if you want new or just a refurb
  • gillsmills
    gillsmills Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    Hi my budget is for new approx £600 the system I have just now I bought 2006, was advised that I'd need a new one, so may as well get a bundle that includes mouse, monitor etc, and was told my printer an eps on d68 did not have drivers to work with windows 10
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    Options
    gillsmills wrote: »
    Hi my budget is for new approx £600 the system I have just now I bought 2006, was advised that I'd need a new one, so may as well get a bundle that includes mouse, monitor etc, and was told my printer an eps on d68 did not have drivers to work with windows 10
    that is a decent budget

check http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-3662-desktop/pd?oc=cd66202&model_id=inspiron-3662-desktop
    that would give you enough for a decent wireless printer
  • were
    were Posts: 632 Forumite
    edited 7 June 2017 at 3:30PM
    Options
    To be honest, for your usage, would download linux Mint onto a bootable usb stick, try it out, and if you are happy install (but not over your existing disk/work).

I have found the people on the Mint forums to be friendly and helpful. Yes it probably will not be as 'straight forward as windows', there will be less people that can help you, but £600 is a big chunk of change to write CVs and surf. Anybody selling you a £600 PC to do this is taking you for a ride.

A slightly more advanced usb version is to use Mint and create a Persistence drive (4Gig to store you personal settings) on the usb drive

No cost, no funny service packs, fairly secure, and it works really well

I pad air??? Never use an iphone myself, but looking here it seems possible https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=175094
  • zanuda
    zanuda Posts: 380 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    gillsmills you still didn't answer why do you want to get new.Old system doesn't mean it's bad. Unless it's too slow for internet or it doesn't perform well. and your new job - you don't know what it will require. You might be still ok with old computer.
  • Heedtheadvice
    Heedtheadvice Posts: 2,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ^^^^^^ a series of good posts there to help.

Key in my opinion, why spend all your 600 squid? Lots of better things to spend the remaining three to four hundred on!

For what you describe as your need, you can get a machine for a couple of hundred or splash out another one hundred if you so wish getting a backup drive or better monitor if you need it, rather than just desire!
    No real need for win 10 at present. Although XP should be discarded for internet work win 7 is quite adequate for a while and there are plenty of machines with that installed available. Maybe win 10 if there is no extra charge or just update yourself.

Must remember this is a Money saving web site :)!
    Yes printer is a bit old and difficult to support -impossible on win 10 owing to driver issue but there will be plenty to choose from for £50+ once you have sorted the main event, the PC....but then why do you need a PC and an iPad?
  • WAYT
    WAYT Posts: 694 Forumite
    Options
    Really no need for you to spend much more than £200 on a PC and perhaps half that on a new monitor.

Acer 23" G237 IPS LED Gaming ZeroFrame Monitor G237HLABID
    £97.99

If you feel the need to spend the whole lot, you could do worse than; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MEDION-P5331-DR-core-i5-Win10-AMD-graphics-128SSD-1TB-HDD-8GB-RAM-PC-B-Grade-/282428266693?hash=item41c20958c5

But your needs are few. £100 for a half decent second hand PC, £50 for an SSD, £100 for the monitor.
    Examples:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-COMPAQ-PRO-3500-BEST-PC-INTEL-G640-2-80GHz-4GB-DDR3-160GB-HDD-WIFI-W7-PRO-/232332971333
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Newly-Refurbished-Dell-OptiPlex-960-Core2-Quad-Q9550-2-83GHz-250GB-2-x-2GB-/162453262933
  • Sicard
    Sicard Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd suggest W7 instead of W10. If the much hated Vista was still supported I'd go back to that. I've never known an os like W10 with so many issues.
    You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.
    Donald Trump, Press Conference, February 16, 2017

• RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,789 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Sicard wrote: »
    I'd suggest W7 instead of W10. If the much hated Vista was still supported I'd go back to that. I've never known an os like W10 with so many issues.
    Bad advice. If you are having issues you would be better sorting them.
    What problems have you got?
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business