Toto Energy reviews: add your feedback

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    grai wrote: »

also should I ditch the energy club on MSE as that was what got me into this mess? I assumed they knew all the companies they were recommending, obviously not

Price comparison websites do not have the time; people or the money to carry out due diligence checks on 50 or so energy suppliers - even if the suppliers would give them the time and access. Remember, many of the small start ups are little more than a person with a laptop. Ofgem has also publicly stated that it is not in the business of checking that the person or persons it awards a Supply Licence to are ‘fit and proper’ persons to run a business. When you choose a supplier it is a case of Caveat Emptor - buyer beware. In addition to what is posted about individual suppliers on this website have a look at Trustpilot and Facebook. Citizens Advice also publishes Complaints’ Tables.
  • neo1607
    neo1607 Posts: 143 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I swapped both me and my mum to Toto back in October (2 seperate properties), I moved out of my house on the 27th of November and it has taken until now to get a final bill off them, almost 7 full weeks of chasing them up once/twice a week each time being promised that "i would receive it within 2 to 3 days"

Appalling customer service from them, I've now moved my mum away from them as well as I did not like the attitude I was getting from their customer services
  • grai
    grai Posts: 268 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm so disillusioned by this - basically this MSE website is useless! Here's me thinking it was some kind of authority with a hotline to every energy company warning people of rip offs - it's really no wiser than you or me
  • System
    Options
    grai wrote: »
    I'm so disillusioned by this - basically this MSE website is useless! Here's me thinking it was some kind of authority with a hotline to every energy company warning people of rip offs - it's really no wiser than you or me

What made you think that MSE 'was some kind of Authority"? Suppliers are not going to give the many price comparison websites full access to their business. Indeed, Ofgem itself has said that when it awards a Supply Licence it is not making any judgement on whether the people running the business are fit and proper persons.

I have never understood the criteria that MSE CEC uses to decide on its 'top picks'. I have also long believed that choosing an energy supplier is a case of Caveat Emptor. If things go wrong, then I just 'ditch and switch'.
  • IvanD
    Options
    I selected Toto Energy in Oct 17 via the switching app Volt. The switch went to plan but one month later I received a price increase email which implied a 50% uplift in my cost of gas and a 10% increas in electrify. I contacted Toto to understand their grotesque increase but they offered no plausible explanation, so I switched immediately. A month after switching they debited an unauthorised payment from my account that was 50% larger than the previously agreed direct debit, despite having moved to a new supplier. I immediately cancelled my DD and subsequently contacted Toto who agreed that they shouldn’t have processed the debit and committed to return the money (£312) within 14 days. At no time during the two months I was with Toto did they provide a statement but worse stil, they were constantly in breach of the Direct Debit rules by not providing any notice of a planned debit, I contacted my bank to complain about Toto’s breach of the Direct Debit scheme rules and they immediately reversed the transaction. Toto appears to be run by people with extremely poor judgement and an inadequate grasp or regard for the rules that apply to DD payments. I pity those that put their trust in this morally bereft cowboy outfit, as unless they keep a very close watch on their email inbox and bank account they’re very likely to become victims of their sharp and ill-conceived practices. Don’t be lured by disingenuous prices - AVOID Toto and always seek a 12 month fixed-price deal.
  • colderuk
    colderuk Posts: 218 Forumite
    edited 24 January 2018 at 5:51PM
    Options
    I joined in November 2017 and cancelled in December 2017 when they increased their prices to more than I was paying before.
    In that short period while I was waiting to move they increased my direct debit by 50% without informing me.

When trying to get answers as why I have found that they never answer their phones, never reply to emails and they cut you off on their live chat when you ask questions about your account.

I am now waiting on a final bill which they said would take 5 to 10 days but I don't expect to receive anything from them any time soon.

My advice would be to steer well clear of them.
  • jammeister
    Options
    colderuk wrote: »
    I joined in November 2017 and cancelled in December 2017 when they increased their prices to more than I was paying before.
    In that short period while I was waiting to move they increased my direct debit by 50% without informing me.

When trying to get answers as why I have found that they never answer their phones, never reply to emails and they cut you off on their live chat when you ask questions about your account.

I am now waiting on a final bill which they said would take 5 to 10 days but I don't expect to receive anything from them any time soon.

My advice would be to steer well clear of them.

Suggest you check your final bill very carefully when it does arrive : they are becoming well-known for sending incorrect statements and bills. If they don't send you a final statement / bill [and a refund if you have a credit balance] within ten days, then I suggest you send an official complaint to the Energy Ombudsman. The Ombudsman has already made at least one ruling against TOTO for their dreadful behaviour.
  • System
    Options
    jammeister wrote: »
    Suggest you check your final bill very carefully when it does arrive : they are becoming well-known for sending incorrect statements and bills. If they don't send you a final statement / bill [and a refund if you have a credit balance] within ten days, then I suggest you send an official complaint to the Energy Ombudsman. The Ombudsman has already made at least one ruling against TOTO for their dreadful behaviour.

Under EU law and under the terms of their Supply Licence, suppliers have to use REASONABLE endeavours to issue a Final Bill no later than 6 weeks after the actual transfer of supply. There are no rules on how soon a credit balance has to be repaid. A complaint to The Energy Ombudsman will only be considered after a complainant has followed the supplier’s complaints procedure and 8 weeks has elapsed since the complaint was made.

I am not defending the system, and I am aware from posts on this forum that some suppliers are playing the 6 week card to the day.
  • Cornish_Dave
    Options
    Do not under any circumstances get involved with this disaster of an organisation. I switched to them in the summer of last year from Sainsbury's Energy my first mistake! They wrote to me in December telling me about their significant increases and saying I could switch without penalty if I wished to. This was interesting as I had it in writing from them that my account was "fixed". Yep it was a fixed variable account according to them. As we all know their customer service is appalling but after an hour waiting on the phone a guy said he had no idea why my fixed account was increasing. I decided to leave and moved to Breeze Energy on the the 26th December. On 27th December Toto debited my bank account with an unusual amount of £121.89, I assumed this was because I was in debt and wrote to them asking for clarification.

Now it always takes them two weeks to answer an e-mail, and they did as usual and I received a final account from them saying I was £131.56 in credit and guess what they deucted two termination fees of £10 as I cancelled early. I send another e-mail about this and my credit but hey that was only seven days ago so no reply yet. I checked my bank account today and yes you guessed it they have taken another £121.89 today even though they have confirmed my account is cancelled. My bank has today taken back both direct debits and I have written to them again saying I calculate they now owe me £29.67 but I do not expect to see that anytime soon.

I think MSE should remove this appalling organisation from their lists, their customer service is a disgrace to say the very least! My advice to anyone is to steer well clear of this awful company!
  • Overthetop
    Options
    Moved to them from B. gas. When I bought the place.
    I was aware that the house had a smart meter but was told by an engineer these often don't work with other companies. I was away when I went across to Toto so could not give meter readings.
    Got the email stating that I would pay more during winter months, this didn't bother me.
    However last week got an email requesting I take a meter reading. I did not know how to do this as it has the smart thing on the front.
    I phoned Toto and they said no worry we will fit a new meter on Monday and take your meter readin then.
    I stayed in Monday from 1-5pm no one arrived to fit new meter or to read the meter. On Tuesday I received a bill via email which did not state whether it was an estimate or a meter reading.
    I will loose money but today I decided to leave a company that blatantly lies
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure