Virgin Media: Haggle down your costs.

Options

Comments

• billieboy_2
    billieboy_2 Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I called Telewest and said I was seriously thinking of moving to TalkTalk as they had such a good deal on and would they be able to do anything about my bill. She immediately said yes we'll be able to change your bill to £34 for 12 months (from £41). So a saving of £7 per month.:beer: She said they are changing their offers all the time so it's worth looking on their website but when I looked I couldn't see the £34 per month deal I got. Anyway, I will ring them again in 12 months. By the way, I'm on 4Mb.
  • mistry_2
    mistry_2 Posts: 125 Forumite
    Options
    After reading Martins Mailing today I decided to call Telewest. I wasted no time and went straight for the cancellations dept.

I mentioned the Talk Talk offer and that i didn't really want the TV. The CS lady went on to tell me talk talk isn't such a great offer, and I'd be locked for 18 months and the prices can go up after 12. To which i replied "it's still cheaper then what you offer". This went on for a few minutes...

So she offered
    • 4mb Broadband for £15 instead if £25
    • dropped my TV package by £6 (i did opt to lose some of the channels we never watched)
    • And now all off peak calls to land lines are capped to 6p/per call

This brought my monthly bill from £47 to £31. Saving me £16 a month. Also this price will hold for 12 months thats a whopping £192 saved.

This has to be the best call I've made in a while.
  • Flyer_2
    Flyer_2 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    YES, It does work!!
    Just rung NTL and within 60 seconds was offered B/B 2GB for £9.99 and free unlimited 24 hour local/national calls free for 6 months!
    That will do until the next call in 6 months!!
    Thanks for all the posts!!
  • thrifty_get
    thrifty_get Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Called ntl on 0800 052 9403 option 2 having been told a couple of weeks ago my bills were going up as my years discount was at an end. With very little effort was offered 2 meg broadband and talk unlimited 24 for £20.99(refused any 6 month discounts). This is an indefinate tariff and only requires 30 days notice. They called it a talk talk price match. Had threatend to leave but am relieved to be staying as I have ripped out my BT wires whilst decorating!
  • superchick0812
    Options
    I rang Telewest enquiring about wether I was locked in as wanted to switch to Talk talk. Came away with 9 months free broadband which I was paying £25 per month for result!!
  • rojo_4
    rojo_4 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Just rang TW, threaten to leave and they offered me 10mb internet for £30 instead of £35 plus £20 credit voucher off my next bill. No bad:j
  • mistry_2
    Options
    I rang Telewest enquiring about wether I was locked in as wanted to switch to Talk talk. Came away with 9 months free broadband which I was paying £25 per month for result!!

Thats a cracking deal... well done
  • billieboy_2
    billieboy_2 Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It seems like Telewest are very inconsistent with what they are offering! Perhaps I should have haggled more but at the time I was quite happy with my £7 a month reduction! Maybe it depends on which CS rep you get. Anyway, I expect they are being kept very busy at the moment!
  • mistry_2
    Options
    billieboy wrote:
    It seems like Telewest are very inconsistent with what they are offering! .....

I agree, but i'm still happy knowing that I'm getting the same service for less money.
  • swimboy1
    swimboy1 Posts: 19 Forumite
    I won, I won, I won!
    Options
    I pay £24.99 for 2mb broadband from NTL (been with them ages).

Rang Customer Relations and mentioned bulldog etc (I take 'phone service from BT). I've been offered (and accepted):

Next 3 months FREE (saving £74.97)
    and the subsequent monthly rentals reduced to £12.50 a month permanently.

WOW!

Richard

PS: 2mb being upgraded to 4mb free of charge on 1st June too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure