Leaving Sky Tv - Box Query

Options

Comments

• Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Options
    Obviously with their recording boxes you can, but the majority of their boxes (the ones under £199) you can’t

My two Humax boxes, costing £145 and £156 respectively and my Goodmans £60 Freesat box all twin tuner record fine.
  • hammersfaniow
    Options
    Do you have a link to look at the £60 Goodman’s box ? The only Goodman’s recorder ones I can find are a lot more than that, the standard and cheaper ones certainly don’t record according to the Goodman’s product info website
  • Inner_Zone
    Options
    Do you have a link to look at the £60 Goodman’s box ? The only Goodman’s recorder ones I can find are a lot more than that, the standard and cheaper ones certainly don’t record according to the Goodman’s product info website

No longer available at that price.
  • hammersfaniow
    Options
    Or just a link to the Goodman’s one you have then please ? I’m sure it won’t have gone up that considerably
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You can get some cheap Freesat and Freeview boxes where the cost has been kept down by putting the storage on an external USB stick...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/August-Freeview-Box-Recorder-DVB415-Black/dp/B00Q38S9BU/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_504_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=DYVWDKEJNZ0DN78THBYQ

I have no idea how well they work.
  • Inner_Zone
    edited 4 January 2019 at 2:55PM
    Options
    Or just a link to the Goodman’s one you have then please ? I’m sure it won’t have gone up that considerably

Can't see any Freeview or Freesat STB's on the Goodmans website currently apart from support.
  • hammersfaniow
    Options
    Inner_Zone wrote: »
    Can't see any Freeview or Freesat STB's on the Goodmans website currently apart from support.

Sorry, so how do you know it’s not available at the price you paid if you can’t even find the one you have online ? Can you tell me anything about the Goodman’s one you have, genuinely interested in seeing how much it is now.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It looks as though the market has fundamentally shifted and these mid-price machines are no longer being made - at all.

It could be something to do with HD content being more widely available on Freesat, therefore requiring substantially larger storage drives, which cost that much more.
  • hammersfaniow
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    It looks as though the market has fundamentally shifted and these mid-price machines are no longer being made - at all.

It could be something to do with HD content being more widely available on Freesat, therefore requiring substantially larger storage drives, which cost that much more.

You may well be right. It was only the other poster saying it wasn’t available ‘at that price’ that made me assume that it must still be available.......albeit at a different price. No real proof makes me doubt it ever existed though, but am willing to be proved wrong. How you could’ve got a Freesat/Freeview recordable box for £60 is a great deal.
  • hammersfaniow
    Options
    Perhaps they got it a very good deal at the time? The fact that they don't sell them anymore is hardly reason for calling someone a liar.

I never used the word liar, I was merely doubting it because it was originally claimed it wasn’t available at that price, not that it wasn’t available at all, hence me asking for a link. I also said I would happily be proved wrong. Don’t put words out there that haven’t been used.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure