Leaving Sky Tv - Box Query

Options
Have kept my broadband throughSky at just under £20 per month but have cancelled my tv deal, which had sports & movies - I was paying £31pm and it was due to go up to £48pm so I’ll just have the free view channels.

Does anyone know if you can still use the functions such as recording, live pause etc on the sky box after my tv deal has finished ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Does anyone know if you can still use the functions such as recording, live pause etc on the sky box after my tv deal has finished ?

Simple answer - no.

If you want to record/pause etc. using your Satellite dish, have a look at Freesat (and a Freesat Set-top Box).
  • SandraX
    SandraX Posts: 840 Forumite
    Options
    As post 2 as that is what makes sky hd, sky q, etc.
  • hammersfaniow
    Options
    Thanks for that, at least I know now. I’m assuming that I’ll still be able to use the catch up tv, iPlayer and that sort of thing. No doubt I’ll get a call from Sky about 2 days before my deal expires !
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
  • hammersfaniow
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Simple answer - no.

If you want to record/pause etc. using your Satellite dish, have a look at Freesat (and a Freesat Set-top Box).

Apparently you can’t record, pause etc with a Freesat box
  • Cornucopia
    Options

Their capabilities vary, but something like this will definitely record:-

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/4252476

4252476_R_Z001A?$Web$&$DefaultPDP570$
  • hammersfaniow
    Options
    For £199 I might as well just get the basic Sky package which costs £15pm for 300+ channels. Although I get that the £199 is only a one off payment, decisions eh !
  • Cornucopia
    edited 4 January 2019 at 11:53AM
    Options
    You pays your money...

This question comes up a lot in this sub-forum, and it broadly stacks up like this:-

- If you want recording capability, you'll need Sky, VM, Freesat (with a suitable box) or Freeview (with a suitable box). Some TVs can record to a memory stick, but their tuner/timer/EPG capabilities are often not that great. (Some other providers - BT, EE, Talktalk, Plusnet - also offer TV options that are based around a bundled Freeview/Youview box that attracts a subscription cost).

- Of the above, Freeview is probably cheapest in terms of equipment cost, IF you already have a functional outdoor aerial (recording boxes start from just over £100).

- Overall cheapest options (assuming you either want cheap pay TV, or you have no aerial or dish currently at your home but do have good broadband) will be streaming options: Amazon, Netflix or Now TV. These will entail watching in a completely different way, being mainly concerned with catch-up/video on demand rather than TV channels. (Now TV does carry a selection of live channels - they can be paused but not recorded). Equipment starts from around £15, and Pay Content subs are below £10pm. Most equipment can be operated solely for free content (therefore no subs) and that would normally get BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4, Demand 5, UKTV Player and Youtube (though devices vary).
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    News to me.
    I dumped Sky back in 2009 for Freesat and have had all those features since day one.
    So 9 years of no Sky payments for a one off payment for a Freesat box.
    That is "money saving expert" advice. :T
  • hammersfaniow
    Options
    Obviously with their recording boxes you can, but the majority of their boxes (the ones under £199) you can’t
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure