Terminated TalkTalk and signed with SKY but not TV package what is available to record TV please

Options
Hi
I have switched to Sky but don't want to pay for TV as we only watch main channels available on freeview
I have a Smart Medion TV
I would like to record TV programmes with -Ability to record TWO channels & watch a third channel.
My daughter has a separate Netflix account

Talktalk will probably want their youview box returned to them but as I understand it, it will not record out of contract

I really have no idea of the options available as we have had talktalk and BT view boxes for many years

Thank you for any advice

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There's a long running thread in here about Humax recorders and Freesat
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    an1179 wrote: »
    Hi
    I have switched to Sky but don't want to pay for TV as we only watch main channels available on freeview
    Why have you switched to Sky if you don't want to pay for TV?

an1179 wrote: »
    I would like to record TV programmes with -Ability to record TWO channels & watch a third channel.
    My daughter has a separate Netflix account

Talktalk will probably want their youview box returned to them but as I understand it, it will not record out of contract
    The Youview box will work just fine. All that you won't be able to do is watch the TalkTalk subscription stuff. ALL the other functions will work just as they did before. If you have past the minimum term of the TalkTalk contract the Youview box will be yours to do what you want with.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    wongataa wrote: »
    Why have you switched to Sky if you don't want to pay for TV?

They've switched to Sky BB and left Talktalk, although just telling us they've cancelled their Talktalk BB & TV would have been more sensible.

For the OP, if you just want Freeview and to record 2 channels at once while watching a 3rd then you'd need something like the Humax FVP-5000T which can record 4 channels whilst watching a 5th.

Good luck on finding enough decent stuff on Freeview where you'd actually need that much technology though.

https://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/freeview/fvp-5000t.html
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Twin tuner Youview boxes can record 2 programmes and let you watch a third via the box as long as thte third channel is on the same multiplex as one of the channels being recorded. Of course you can always use the television's tuner two watch a third channel while the box is recording two others with no issues.
  • an1179
    an1179 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you for the positive advice. I did search but as I am not familiar with Humax I was not searching the correct subject
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    OP, do you have an aerial or a dish?
    To use a Humax Freeview box, you need an aerial. If you don't have one, then get a Humax Freesat box, which is a straight box swap, using your existing dish
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    OP, do you have an aerial or a dish?
    To use a Humax Freeview box, you need an aerial. If you don't have one, then get a Humax Freesat box, which is a straight box swap, using your existing dish

They were using a Youview box and have signed up for Sky BB, not Sky TV therefore must have an aerial at the very least.
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 22 January 2019 at 5:34PM
    Options
    TT YouView Plus recording boxes were made by Hauwei.
    No reason to believe they won't still work as normal Freeview PVRs? No access to the TT pay TV channels of course, but all the normal Freeview ones.
    You View Forums confirm the boxes will still work https://community.youview.com/youview/discussion/7604978/talk-talk-tv-box-on-another-provider

I seriously doubt TT will want their old routers and TV boxes back, although their website says they do "in most cases".

Under their early termination FAQ it says "* If you have a package that includes TalkTalk TV you’ll also need to pay £75 for your set-top box unless you return it to us within 21 days."
    So termination at end of contract would imply no need to return...

But OP is best to read the T&Cs of their own specific Contract with TT re the TV box etc.,. as that may make things clearer?

EDIT: When I left TT broadband, I think they may have sent a bag for returning any unwanted kit back... But I never did and I've heard no more.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure