Can I claim for this and in case how do you suggest to do it?

Options
Hi,

I had a flight from Palermo to London with one connection In Rome. We took off late from Palermo because the airplane we had to take wasn't available and missed the connection. the airplane had to come from Rome and landed late, apparently because of delays in Rome for bad weather. However I checked the flight records and I have other 3 domestic Alitalia flights leaving from Rome exactly at the same time and landed on time.
The bad weather must have been an excuse, or is it technically possible that 3 out of 4 flights can depart during bad weather?
I have kept the screenshots of the flights that left at the same time and landed on time.

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It is possible as they might increase separation during bad weather
  • nig3d
    nig3d Posts: 198 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I thought about the same, but this is what happened:

alltogether.png
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    How late was that initial flight in landing? Was the entire trip booked as a single ticket or were the flights booked separately?
    Assuming you were on AZ1795 the delay isn't enough to warrant any compensation and if the flights were booked separately there will be no claim for the missed second flight either.
  • nig3d
    edited 19 November 2019 at 12:37PM
    Options
    One hour was enough to miss my connection to london. Pay attention that the flight was palermo London, with one connection to Rome. The whole flight was with alitalia using one single boarding pass.

Just to be clear, this meant that arrived home almost 24h late. I previously posted the az1795 because that was the plane I had to take from palermo [az1794]. Since it took off late from rome, it departed late from palermo, resulting in a missing connection back in rome.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I thought in the situation of a missed connection on a single ticket, the airline had to get you on the next available flight with any airline, not just their next available flight. Irrespective of that, on a single ticket, arriving at your destination 24 hours late should certainly entitle you to claim for late arrival. Rate is 250 euro for under 1500km and 400 euro 1500km to 3500km.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As started, if you were booked on a single ticket, the claim is for the whole journey - Palermo to London.(1850km so €400).
    Did the airline offer you an alternative flight from Rome to London? I suspect not, tut tut.
    Should it go to court, the airline will have to prove it was weather or an ATC the caused the dealy. Given the evidence you have, thats unlikely.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • nig3d
    Options
    thank you for the replies.

The company offered me the hotel for the night, dinner and then the flight next day. The problem is that their official reason for the delay was the bad weather happening in Rome when the flight Rome -> Palermo was about to take off. If this was true, I cannot claim compensation, however the reason I am writing here is if I should fight it using the data from the other flights or not.
  • nig3d
    Options
    I forgot I opened a thread on this one. Well I can tell you now that they actually accepted my reasons and paid 800 euros.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure