PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Scotland: New Build Planning Application: Help/advice needed to object.

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Grrra wrote: »
    [FONT=&quot]Brilliant! Thank you so much for that. We are not building our expectations up but you have given us some hope for the future. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]We have just received a letter from the Highland Council Planning Neighbour Notification, dated 12th July. Apparently, only properties within 20 metres need to be notified, even though this development will impact on our other neighbours, strange.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]We also think that it will have a negative visual impact on views of Meal Breac, meal Bhaid Leathain & Creag Choic from a nearby road. Could be worth adding into the mix?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]We really appreciate all this support. Thank you and take care.[/FONT]

The neighbour notification rules are a bit of nonsense really, it's why they also advertise in the local press...
    The visual impact might be something to pursue, but it really might be clutching at straws, at least you can rule out a cup of tea in the neighbours house!
  • Grrra
    Grrra Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    Oh dear, just when we thought there was a little light at the end of the tunnel.
  • System
    Options
    Grrra wrote: »
    Oh dear, just when we thought there was a little light at the end of the tunnel.
    by all means give it a bash but it's likely that the outline permission has taken account of the visual impact aspects - it's only single storey so a hard argument when they have established the principle of a house on the site imo (you're never going to have something smaller than single storey)
  • Grrra
    Options
    I have done a bit of research (sleepless nights) and composed a letter of objection to the planned development. I hope you don!!!8217;t mind but I have included a reference to the drainage situation. I have pressed the button, submit but nothing is showing on the, comments. I was 5 characters short of the 5000 word allowance.
    From what people have said it seems like a, done deal. I guess my wife and I will just have to get used to looking at a, tin shed. But we will give the objections a go.
    All the help and support from the people on the forum is greatly appreciated.
    Take care.
  • System
    edited 17 July 2018 at 2:33PM
    Options
    the comments will be submitted to the admin team and then added to the case file after a few days (different councils take different times to process them)

can I ask what kind of house you live in? tbh it looks like they have tried to do something relatively high quality with the design, spec of materials looks decent, I wouldn't really class something single storey with simple elevations an eyesore, if anything it will start to blend into the landscape fairly quickly (apart from the dreaded white render!)
  • Grrra
    Options
    Many thanks for the reply. We live in a house that was built in the 60's, but updated as time has gone by. Basically it is a bungalow, traditional A frame design, with a bit added on for a garage and utility room. All the houses in the area are of a similar plan and we don't mind the white render.

Perhaps we are working ourselves up for no real reason and there is nothing to worry about? But, it is a huge construction relative to the plot size.

Thank you for you comments and hopefully all will be well.
    Take care.
  • System
    Options
    It may cover a reasonably big percentage of the plot compared to the adjacent but it's surrounded by nothing, it's not like a tight urban/sub-urban location where it will look like an over developed plot, there's nothing around it for miles by the looks.
    What is it that concerns you about having a big footprint on a single storey house, would you prefer they build a taller house with a smaller footprint? does it have any real impact on you day to day?
    It looks like this is nicer house than most in the local area after a quick scout around on streetview!
  • CocoLouie
    CocoLouie Posts: 78 Forumite
    Options
    Looking at the plans it doesn't look like there is anything that would provide you with a solid objection which could get the permission denied.

It looks like they have taken drainage into consideration at this early stage given the contact with Scottish Water. A soakaway could easily be fitted into the available land but they will not have fully sized it at this stage
  • tv21
    tv21 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    OP, this is very similar to your earlier thread where you were living in the north of England and you objected to your neighbour's green land being developed into an equestrian centre.

Is there something we need to know why you are so desperately keen to interfere with neighbours carrying out perfectly reasonable development of their land?

You don't really NEED to object to this.

Where exactly should jobs and homes be created for everybody else?
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,864 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Looking at the actual location it does not appear too imposing. Using StreetView the size does not look much different to the old schoolhouse and there seems to be quite a few fairly large buildings in the area although most are hidden by trees. The finishes seem to tick all the right boxes for a new building in the highlands. I think you are on a hiding to nothing as building there is already permitted and the only contentious point I can see is the amount of parking, 2 spaces might be a bit light, but will easily be overcome.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure