Virgin Media broadband: am I paying too much?

Options
thatoldchestnut
thatoldchestnut Posts: 123 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 10 July 2018 at 11:04PM in Broadband & internet access
Hi,

This may have been asked before but I can't find reference to it. I am looking to make some savings and see that my monthly bill for Virgin Media broadband (no TV package or phone or anything else) is £41.23. My speed is apparently up to 200MBPS. As it's only my partner and I living in our flat, this is probably more than we need: we do use Netflix, iPlayer, etc. and download things occasionally but we're not heavy users otherwise. I rang VM a while back to see about downgrading to a slower speed and pay less per month, but apparently as my speed was upgraded for free, there is no lower tariff for me to drop down to, so I am paying the lowest amount possible.

Does that sound right or is it possible to downgrade if I haggle a bit? I don't particularly want to switch to another ISP because I want to avoid having to get a landline. Is it worth trying to haggle VM and get them to reduce my monthly bill or should I bite the bullet and look at other ISPs?

Comments

• worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I pay £30 for 200mbps, I've seen it for as little as £28. Dead easy to get simply called them up and they lowered the price straight away. I only had the 100mbps service when I called so I got more and payed less.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If that is indeed your normal usage then any fibre deal would do you. I pay just £20 a month for 37Mbps which would more than suit yourselves.
    I want to avoid having to get a landline
    Why? All you're doing is restricting yourself to Virgin.
  • thatoldchestnut
    Options
    If that is indeed your normal usage then any fibre deal would do you. I pay just £20 a month for 37Mbps which would more than suit yourselves.

Why? All you're doing is restricting yourself to Virgin.

Guess so. Does that £20 a month include line rental or is that on top? I signed up to Virgin because I wouldn't use a home phone so didn't want to have to pay for something I wasn't going to use, but if it's going to be cheaper to use another service even with the line rental included maybe I'll just do it.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 July 2018 at 10:44AM
    Options
    Hi,

This may have been asked before but I can't find reference to it. I am looking to make some savings and see that my monthly bill for Virgin Media broadband (no TV package or phone or anything else) is £41.23. My speed is apparently up to 200MBPS. As it's only my partner and I living in our flat, this is probably more than we need: we do use Netflix, iPlayer, etc. and download things occasionally but we're not heavy users otherwise. I rang VM a while back to see about downgrading to a slower speed and pay less per month, but apparently as my speed was upgraded for free, there is no lower tariff for me to drop down to, so I am paying the lowest amount possible.

Does that sound right or is it possible to downgrade if I haggle a bit? I don't particularly want to switch to another ISP because I want to avoid having to get a landline. Is it worth trying to haggle VM and get them to reduce my monthly bill or should I bite the bullet and look at other ISPs?

Haggle some more. We were offered a free upgrade, took it then they tried to increase the charge. We told them we were leaving and they offered us a reduction of £8 a month to stay. We went from 100mbps back down to 50mbps but to be honest, haven't noticed the difference.
    We don't pay for tv services or a landline.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Guess so. Does that £20 a month include line rental or is that on top? I signed up to Virgin because I wouldn't use a home phone so didn't want to have to pay for something I wasn't going to use, but if it's going to be cheaper to use another service even with the line rental included maybe I'll just do it.

That's £20 total. There's a few at around or even under that at https://broadband.moneysavingexpert.com/ (effective price). Use them as a bargaining chip with Virgin.
  • Gary1963
    Gary1963 Posts: 287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I pay £21.25 for 100.

Haggle!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income